mot extensions

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

mot extensions

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Chaps, I have a quick question regarding the new MOT rules.

From what understand if the MOT is due on or after 30th March you get a six month extension.

My own 280 has been SORNED since October last year and the MOT also ran out the same month.

I always tax and MOT it at the beginning of April, however my usual Mot place(the only one I trust with it) is currently shut.

I'm assuming I must take it somewhere else, however the system is allowing me to tax the car so I'm a bit confused as to whether I must get an MOT or not, usually if you have no MOT then you're unable to get car tax.

Regards Jason
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: mot extensions

Post by stevemarl »

I`m assuming as, unlike tax, SORN doesn`t have an expiry date, so your `MOT date` is whenever you decide to get it back on the road. In this case, if you got it out now (after 31 Mar) you must qualify for a 6 month deferment, basically because most stations are shut? I`m sure if it will allow you to tax the vehicle, that must be how it works?
The MOT status on the DVLA site is being updated on a rolling basis so any new date they assign will not show for maybe weeks (mine is still showing July at the moment).
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

You don't need tax to drive to and from a pre booked MOT test, so long as you go straight there and home immediately afterwards.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

andyd wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:33 am You don't need tax to drive to and from a pre booked MOT test, so long as you go straight there and home immediately afterwards.
Thankfully it also covers the journeys to and from a place where remedial work is being carried out.

This could include; another garage of your choice, a tyre or exhaust centre or even the house of a mate who will help you do the jobs (so long as it's not then left parked on the road). Its best to carry an email on you from the person confirming they are expecting you at an approximate time. Fully covers you.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:33 am You don't need tax to drive to and from a pre booked MOT test, so long as you go straight there and home immediately afterwards.
That's definitely true for having an expired MOT, but the way I understand it, it's a grey area as far as tax is concerned. I've never found anything official online stating that you can drive the car to an MOT station if the tax has expired. Technically, I suppose, you're supposed to trailer the car to the station or get the garage to collect it from you and they might be able to drive on trade plates.

The way I understand it, as the OP's MOT had expired some time ago, then it doesn't qualify for the six month extension, and therefore cannot be taxed without a current MOT.

By the way, I thought MOT tests were currently suspended, hence the reason for the six month extension.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Thankfully it also covers the journeys to and from a place where remedial work is being carried out.

This could include; another garage of your choice, a tyre or exhaust centre or even the house of a mate who will help you do the jobs (so long as it's not then left parked on the road). Its best to carry an email on you from the person confirming they are expecting you at an approximate time. Fully covers you.
Didn't know that!! Very handy :cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 pm
That's definitely true for having an expired MOT, but the way I understand it, it's a grey area as far as tax is concerned. I've never found anything official online stating that you can drive the car to an MOT station if the tax has expired. Technically, I suppose, you're supposed to trailer the car to the station or get the garage to collect it from you and they might be able to drive on trade plates.

The way I understand it, as the OP's MOT had expired some time ago, then it doesn't qualify for the six month extension, and therefore cannot be taxed without a current MOT.

By the way, I thought MOT tests were currently suspended, hence the reason for the six month extension.

Andrew.
As Major Tom would say, "Don't know" :)

I was told by my local garage last week that I could drive it in untaxed for a pre booked MOT test, but other than that :headscratch:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I've just realised that the OP has actually taxed their car. They way I understood the situation, that shouldn't be able to happen as the MOT expiry date of October is well before the March 31st start date for MOT extensions.

I'm pretty sure that they still won't be able to get an MOT though as tests are indeed suspended for six months:
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... virus-dvsa

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:49 pm I've just realised that the OP has actually taxed their car. They way I understood the situation, that shouldn't be able to happen as the MOT expiry date of October is well before the March 31st start date for MOT extensions.

I'm pretty sure that they still won't be able to get an MOT though as tests are indeed suspended for six months:
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... virus-dvsa

Andrew.
Taken from the link;
"However, failing to keep your car in a good condition could still see road users hit with penalties such as fines.

Motorists can be fined up to £2,500 and receive three penalty points for driving a car which is considered to be in a dangerous condition.

However, fines can increase to as high as £5,000 per tyre if police notice one or more are underinflated or damaged.

GOV.UK says motorists should still take their car to be repaired at the nearest open garage if their vehicle develops any issues.

The government has decided garages are still permitted to stay open during the coronavirus pandemic.

However, these are independent companies and many have already decided to close their doors to protect the health and safety of staff and customers".

Most garages around here are now closed so if you did find a defect it would be hard to get it fixed. How many people would know if their car had a defect, as some things aren't obvious especially if you aren't mechanically minded.

A mate calibrates MOT testing equipment around the South West and he is still working. He told me many garages are now working on essential workers vehicles only.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:49 pm tests are indeed suspended for six months:
It would be stupid to suspend all MOT tests for 6 months because there wouldn't be the capacity at the end of suspension for everyone who's test had run out (half of cars over 3 years old) to get a test straight away.
I read the initial report as that the requirement to hold a valid test certificate was suspended for 6 months. This suits me fine because my van MOT was due on april 5th but that means farting around in the cold every year to fettle it for testing. I'll be booking it in after the late Spring Bank Hols, afternoons underneath with the waxoyl brush won't need thermals in on future :-)
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Thanks for the replies. I actually got to the very last bit of applying for tax and then I got a 'no MOT' message. Bit of a pain as I always take it to the same place which is currently closed.