MOT's extended for six months

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: MOT's extended for six months

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:30 am Just spoke to an MOT testing station, and they confirmed you can drive to and from a pre booked MOT test if your vehicle has or hasn't got a current MOT without taxing it!
I've resurrected this thread because I was talking to a member of the Pembrokeshire traffic Police today. I was interested to get a definitive answer to this burning question, and he confirmed what I suspected. He says it is definitely not legal to drive your car to a pre-booked MOT appointment if it isn't taxed. I also asked him if, in the unlikely event of getting pulled over in that situation, whether the nice officer would be likely to turn a blind eye if the reason was explained to him. He said he wouldn't if it was him, but he had to say that really....

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
maybe I`m being a bit thick, but doesn`t that mean you may as well scrap the car as you`ll never be able to get it back on the road: can`t tax without MOT and you can`t take it for an MOT without tax? Has something changed as it didn`t used to work like that? :? Surely, if they DID prosecute on the way to a pre-booked MOT, you could reasonably appeal that at Magistrates court. Strange situation.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:48 pm maybe I`m being a bit thick, but doesn`t that mean you may as well scrap the car as you`ll never be able to get it back on the road:
I can see two options.
1. Trailer the car to an MOT.
2. Get the MOT man to pick the car up from you, then they might be able to drive on trade plates and, I believe, tax is not required in that situation.

Personally, I'd take a chance as my MOT station is no more than 3 miles from my house.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:04 pm
stevemarl wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:48 pm maybe I`m being a bit thick, but doesn`t that mean you may as well scrap the car as you`ll never be able to get it back on the road:
I can see two options.
1. Trailer the car to an MOT.
2. Get the MOT man to pick the car up from you, then they might be able to drive on trade plates and, I believe, tax is not required in that situation.

Personally, I'd take a chance as my MOT station is no more than 3 miles from my house.

Andrew.
If that is the case then those are the only options Andrew.

I would drive again without tax as the garage told me that it was ok to do so! In future though my car will be taxed prior to MOT.

As many people have said for years, should scrap tax and put it on fuel, so the more you drive the more you pay.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 pm As many people have said for years, should scrap tax and put it on fuel, so the more you drive the more you pay.
A much fairer system. Although if that was introduced you can guarantee we'd all end up paying more than we do currently!

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 pm As many people have said for years, should scrap tax and put it on fuel, so the more you drive the more you pay.
Never understood why they didn`t do that years ago: impossible to evade and you`ll save all the salaries of all the people involved in operating the road tax system. What`s the downside???

Edit: just checked with the police website and they say you CAN drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax
"If your vehicle doesn't have a current MOT certificate, you can only drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT appointment or to or from a pre-arranged repair appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can also drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances too but your vehicle must be insured. However, not having an MOT may have implications for the validity of your insurance - you would need to check this with your insurer."

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q360.htm
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I wouldn't trust an individual officer to know all the rules.

Both these links seem pretty certain you can go to the test station, if pre booked

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/ca ... ation.html

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/ca ... ould-i-do/

This seems to support what Steve says.

I guess the problem arises if you fail the test as then you can't drive home but the garage can then do the repairs I guess.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

From the "horse's mouth"

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

Scroll down to "Getting an MOT" section. That copper was talking a load of uneducated :turd: Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Great research, thanks gents. It's a relief to know that we now have a definitive answer from an authoritative source.
That's an interesting point about the possibility of insurance not being valid for the trip to the MOT station.
Paul G wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 pmThat copper was talking a load of uneducated :turd: Andrew.
It looks like it Paul, yes. I'm disappointed. If you can't trust a policeman, who can you trust?...….
It does go to show though, that if I happened to be pulled over by that particular officer on the way to an MOT test, I'd have a bit of explaining or arguing to do at the roadside. Either way, it's probably best to try and avoid any ANPR cameras on the way.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 am Great research, thanks gents. It's a relief to know that we now have a definitive answer from an authoritative source.
That's an interesting point about the possibility of insurance not being valid for the trip to the MOT station.
Paul G wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 pmThat copper was talking a load of uneducated :turd: Andrew.
It looks like it Paul, yes. I'm disappointed. If you can't trust a policeman, who can you trust?...….
It does go to show though, that if I happened to be pulled over by that particular officer on the way to an MOT test, I'd have a bit of explaining or arguing to do at the roadside. Either way, it's probably best to try and avoid any ANPR cameras on the way.

Andrew.
Reckon you got the opinion of a jobsworth there Andrew :roll:

I think it is worth having a printed copy of one of the above links in the car, so if you are stopped in that situation you have proof to show PC Plod.

Insurance and MOT are far more important than tax. I did 500 miles in the Capri last year, and paid more tax in those 5 months than someone that drove 20,000 miles in a modern car, that probably caused more emissions overall...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 am Insurance and MOT are far more important than tax. I did 500 miles in the Capri last year, and paid more tax in those 5 months than someone that drove 20,000 miles in a modern car, that probably caused more emissions overall...
Perhaps the Government think we should pay more because we had a lot more fun in our 500 miles than somebody who drove 20,000 miles in a modern car could ever have! :lol:

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 am Insurance and MOT are far more important than tax. I did 500 miles in the Capri last year, and paid more tax in those 5 months than someone that drove 20,000 miles in a modern car, that probably caused more emissions overall...
Perhaps the Government think we should pay more because we had a lot more fun in our 500 miles than somebody who drove 20,000 miles in a modern car could ever have! :lol:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:21 am

Andrew.
:agree: :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Just heard on the radio the MOT 6 months extra will stop on the 1st August 2020 . And I was hoping of having the extra on mine .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:18 pm Just heard on the radio the MOT 6 months extra will stop on the 1st August 2020 . And I was hoping of having the extra on mine .
What a surprise, another U turn from the government :roll:
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Just had this e-mail that explains it well

On 30 March, drivers were granted a 6-month exemption from MOT testing.

Lockdown restrictions are easing, and all drivers with an MOT due from 1 August are being urged to book an MOT test. This is a legal requirement.

Drivers who have an MOT test due before 1 August will still be granted the 6-month extension. For example, if your MOT is due on 31 July, it’ll be extended to 31 January 2021.

But even if your vehicle is exempt, you should take it to the garage immediately if you notice something wrong. You can still be prosecuted for driving an unsafe vehicle.

A few garages UK-wide remained open during the outbreak to conduct essential repairs. Now, 90% of garages are open across the country.
Roads Minister Baroness Vere said:

“As people return to our roads, it is vital that motorists are able to keep their vehicles safe. That’s why as restrictions are eased, from 1 August MOT testing will again become mandatory.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

The ones already given the extension are still being honoured though as I understand it. It's just that those due from August will not be granted the extension as most businesses/garages are working of course and open.