Going For A Drive

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Going For A Drive

Post by pbar »

As I have seen some of us speculating, thought this may help -

Can I go for a drive to blow the cobwebs away?

"It is unlikely anybody will be pulled over by the police just for driving," Mr Gove said.

I need to get some fuel or my car needs repairing, will garages be open?

Garages should remain open so people can get fuel and repairs, Mr Gove said - but car showrooms should be closed.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Going For A Drive

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm As I have seen some of us speculating, thought this may help -

"It is unlikely anybody will be pulled over by the police just for driving," Mr Gove said.

Garages should remain open so people can get fuel and repairs, Mr Gove said - but car showrooms should be closed.
It seems many garages are staying open as it is an essential business :cool:

My MOT is due early May which means I can get it tested early April, and don't need to remove SORN and tax it as long as I go straight to a booked test and straight home afterwards.

Will happily tax it when I plan to drive it but not before.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

My Mazda is booked in for a main dealer service tomorrow, they called earlier to say they will be open as normal
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Peter-S wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:22 pm My Mazda is booked in for a main dealer service tomorrow, they called earlier to say they will be open as normal
The small village garage is shut in our village today .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Thanks Paul. Something similar just been on BBC news: `I live in town, is it OK to drive 30 minutes to a quiet space on the outskirts to exercise, where there are few people`? ` Yes, that would be within the guidelines - unless everyone drove there so it was full of people.`
Nice again tomorrow :D :D
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm As I have seen some of us speculating, thought this may help -

Thanks for posting, good to know.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar

Post by pbar »

You're welcome guys. It really is all about common sense. There was a report on the news last night about people bothering the police with questions like, Am I allowed to go and pick my daughter up from work and bring her home. Unbeliveable.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Nice again tomorrow :D :D
It's alright for some.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

But when you're out for a drive and the car breaks down you will need to interact with the recovery service.

God forbid, but if you had an accident, an overstretched NHS would have to deal with you.

I acknowledge that we need to maintain our sanity but think very carefully before you potentially jeopardise other people's health, regardless of what you think of your own.

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the Miserable Old Gits Party. ;)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Actually Martin, those are very good, and valid points.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am But when you're out for a drive and the car breaks down you will need to interact with the recovery service.

God forbid, but if you had an accident, an overstretched NHS would have to deal with you.
I wish I hadn`t read that... :cry:
The AA I`m actually OK with, I wouldn`t need to get close to staff and I do carry mask/gloves at all times now, (plus I`ve been isolated for over a week so know I`m clear) but the accident is the imponderable, and on balance, yep you`re right. Bugger!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Just found this online!!

Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP;

"Given the circumstances I'm granting an MOT temporary exemption so that if your MOT is due from 30th March 2020 you will automatically receive a SIX-month extension. However, you must still keep your car in a roadworthy condition and garages will remain open if you need repairs".

That's one thing I won't have to think about if I can use the Capri this year. Sadly it won't be getting an MOT in November so will have to wait until next spring.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I did hear that with the nice weather and time off that many classic car owners will be out and about, enjoying the time off.

At first I thought great, but now, to be honest, personally am I thinking it to be a little poor spirited the more I think about it, this is not a holiday period, it is lockdown, and many people are losing their life. But each person will obviously decide for themselves, for exercise/wellbeing I can fully understand.

I have been given a key worker's working permit to keep on me should I be stopped in the car, to show an authoritative figure should I be asked, as I am allowed to travel to/from place of work.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 am I did hear that with the nice weather and time off that many classic car owners will be out and about, enjoying the time off.

At first I thought great, but now, to be honest, personally am I thinking it to be a little poor spirited the more I think about it, this is not a holiday period, it is lockdown, and many people are losing their life. But each person will obviously decide for themselves, for exercise/wellbeing I can fully understand.
Hi Paul,
:agree: I think you have nailed it there.
Maybe in a couple of months or so as or when restrictions are lifted then we can be out and about feeling less guilty.

I have some mechanical work I want done, so hoping to get that sorted at the garage at some point over the summer when I get it taxed.
I have bought all the parts as that's a positive for me to focus on.

The thought of not driving the Capri this year at all and another year parked up in the garage isn't something I really want to contemplate :(
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am But when you're out for a drive and the car breaks down you will need to interact with the recovery service.

I acknowledge that we need to maintain our sanity but think very carefully before you potentially jeopardise other people's health, regardless of what you think of your own.

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the Miserable Old Gits Party. ;)
Yes there will be no pedal to the metal charging about from me, just trying to keep the mind going since suddenly, the Capri is the only friend I have to keep my brain quiet. Im used to touching people to stay calm and grounded. Not looking forward to this at all.
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am
Hi Paul,
:agree: I think you have nailed it there.
Thank you Andy.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 am
Yes there will be no pedal to the metal charging about from me, just trying to keep the mind going since suddenly, the Capri is the only friend I have to keep my brain quiet.
You have many on here Tom. And, luckily, we are in this digital age which means forums, social network and all the rest of it will be a lifeline for many people. Just imagine this happening a couple of decades ago or so, there wouldn't even be any virtual contact with people.

Remember this is only short term, the weeks fly by and before you know it things will slowly get back to normal, as in China. Just hope the death toll lowers as quickly as possible, very upsetting that is.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am
Yes there will be no pedal to the metal charging about from me, just trying to keep the mind going since suddenly, the Capri is the only friend I have to keep my brain quiet.
You have many on here Tom. And, luckily, we are in this digital age which means forums, social network and all the rest of it will be a lifeline for many people. Just imagine this happening a couple of decades ago or so, there wouldn't even be any virtual contact with people.

Remember this is only short term, the weeks fly by and before you know it things will slowly get back to normal, as in China. Just hope the death toll lowers as quickly as possible, very upsetting that is.
:helpinghand: thanks. Yes its better than having bombs raining down at random and a generation of young men dying needless deaths to fight some psychopath intent on our destruction.
andyd

Post by andyd »

The Mrs has just gone out to give blood, on the way she saw Police questioning a driver on or near a petrol station, then as she parked up a mile furthur on a Police car pulled alongside and asked her what she was doing out? She told them and he replied Oh OK.

Funny how there was a Police shortage but now they appear around every corner :headscratch:
Harrassing drivers is probably easier than looking for real criminals :roll:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am
You have many on here Tom.
and you have contact numbers for one or two of us as well - use them if you want to properly talk - not sense of course but a real human (type) voice!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr