The recent news...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Post Reply
User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm

..bit of a bummer, eh?
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 pm

..on an amusing note, that List they sent out is like a typically English day, minus "take tea at noon".
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6831
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: The recent news...

Post by Peter-S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm

Major_Tom wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm
..bit of a bummer, eh?
A mild understatement perhaps Tom :lol:

In a case of perfect timing I have this week off. From thinking there's not much I will be able to do there's actually not anything!
And now I have to pay staff wages for not doing much either subject to getting my 80% back at some point. Still, I am in a better position than many so shouldn't grumble too much. At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Just been saying to a frightened friend, this is unique in our lifetime, but better than having bombs coming down at random, no allies, no army, and this warlike madman 30 miles away with a huge amazingly advanced war machine ready to end our way of life forever.

Oh and having all the kids evacuated and psychologically scarred or taking a very real risk of death to stay together in a city under murderous attack from frightening weapons.

IThen there was all the nuclear Cold War threat which was all about to get seriously un-cold, Vulcan nuclear bombers, bombed up and idling on runways all over Britain ready and waiting for the word to go and participate in what was certain to be the end of the world.

So its important to be aware of this unique time in our lives, but perspective and reflection is also important.

Plus the rich folks that allow us to drink and laugh and have conversations like this need us to keep making them rich, so have an interest in our existence!
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3375
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: The recent news...

Post by Jasonmarie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:04 am

Well that’s one for the History books but I think we all see that coming . There is a re run of the classic babe station but not sure how that will work as when I watched the woman never phoned me . :lol:
So at least the garden will look nice with all this time and OMG the home work my daughter got threw the post and email I might have to google the answers :lol:
Stay safe folks and no going out .

Peter just love that train set is it based on any station ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6831
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: The recent news...

Post by Peter-S » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 am

Jasonmarie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:04 am

Peter just love that train set is it based on any station ?
Cheers Jason.
There's actually two stations! Of the 4 pics I put up the second down was the original layout - a fictitious through station with a hidden loop at each end so there was a continuous circuit. The layout then became 'L' shaped when I added a terminus fed from the hidden loop. Again nowhere specific, I just cribbed and adapted some track plans to utilise the space I had available. Eventually I added a motive power depot of sorts off the loop at the other end which is the first and last of the 4 pictures.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4319
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: The recent news...

Post by stevemarl » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 am

Peter-S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm
At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now
This is something I was wondering about: If I were to leave my garage, drive out into the country for an hour then return to the garage, not stopping, not interacting with anyone so not dispersing my hypothetical pathogens, do we think I`d get away with it? As I can see myself going crazy if I can`t even go for a drive. For months. At the risk of a small fine I`d probably take the chance.

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am

stevemarl wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 am
Peter-S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm
At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now
This is something I was wondering about: If I were to leave my garage, drive out into the country for an hour then return to the garage, not stopping, not interacting with anyone so not dispersing my hypothetical pathogens, do we think I`d get away with it? As I can see myself going crazy if I can`t even go for a drive. For months. At the risk of a small fine I`d probably take the chance.
Theres been nothing said about being in a car by yourself yet. Hopefully it'll be okay!
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Bug
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: The recent news...

Post by Bug » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am

Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:

Bug
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: The recent news...

Post by Bug » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 am

On the plus side; Boris Johnson has FINALLY ended the DFS Sale :xd:

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 am

Bug wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am
Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:
Well I had some crap old fuel left in my tank for 8 months and it ran fine. I even drained some off and compared it to some brand new fuel, it smelt less 'potent' and hadva slighly paler colour, but the car still ran okay.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Bug
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: The recent news...

Post by Bug » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am

Major_Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 am
Bug wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am
Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:
Well I had some crap old fuel left in my tank for 8 months and it ran fine. I even drained some off and compared it to some brand new fuel, it smelt less 'potent' and hadva slighly paler colour, but the car still ran okay.
Well that's ok then.
If Tom says it still had 'nose' and it tasted ok with coke (the liquid stuff), then you'll all be fine. :xd:

User avatar
Noel
Donator
Donator
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
Location: Twickenham

Re: The recent news...

Post by Noel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 am

stevemarl wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 am
Peter-S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm
At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now
This is something I was wondering about: If I were to leave my garage, drive out into the country for an hour then return to the garage, not stopping, not interacting with anyone so not dispersing my hypothetical pathogens, do we think I`d get away with it? As I can see myself going crazy if I can`t even go for a drive. For months. At the risk of a small fine I`d probably take the chance.

Morally you are correct as you are not interacting with anyone, and you are handily shut into a metal box. Simply place a couple of supermarket bags-for-life on your passenger seat, along with a shopping list, then if you should be challenged you are simply going food shopping.

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4319
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: The recent news...

Post by stevemarl » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am

Noel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 am
Morally you are correct as you are not interacting with anyone, and you are handily shut into a metal box. Simply place a couple of supermarket bags-for-life on your passenger seat, along with a shopping list, then if you should be challenged you are simply going food shopping.
I`m really not endangering anyone so yes, that sounds a reasonable solution. Cheers

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5980
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: The recent news...

Post by pbar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am

It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

I would use the exercise/wellbeing reasons if questioned to be honest, rather than lying about going shopping. It is not a time to be lying so you can do things.

It is all about common sense and doing your bit to avoid more deaths. We have to remember, thousands have/are dying.
Last edited by pbar on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tejb1
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6L (weekend/holidays)

Re: The recent news...

Post by tejb1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 pm

pbar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am
It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

It is all about common sense and doing your bit to avoid more deaths. We have to remember, thousands have/are dying.
I agree. Where I live, in North London, I can go out for a walk around the streets etc, there are a few small parks, but not that much to speak of, and all will undoubtedly have others in them.

Jump in the car and drive out to the edge of town, and there are plenty of fields and country walks.

There's also going to/from the big Tesco, which I usually do in the 'daily' but which may become an outing for the Capri when I've finished fiddling with it in the garage!

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:11 pm

Bug wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am
Major_Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 am
Bug wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am
Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:
Well I had some crap old fuel left in my tank for 8 months and it ran fine. I even drained some off and compared it to some brand new fuel, it smelt less 'potent' and hadva slighly paler colour, but the car still ran okay.
Well that's ok then.
If Tom says it still had 'nose' and it tasted ok with coke (the liquid stuff), then you'll all be fine. :xd:
It was precisely because I'd heard that it goes stale and useless that I found out for myself. Tank was ordinary carb'd version, open to atmosphere, had a crap seal that let fuel out every left hand turn. Car sat for 8 months in rain or shine with no more than ten litres in it, so thought "right lets see if this stale fuel thing is true!" and it started and ran without fault.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6849
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: The recent news...

Post by andyd » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm

pbar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am
It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

I would use the exercise/wellbeing reasons if questioned to be honest, rather than lying about going shopping. It is not a time to be lying so you can do things.

It is all about common sense and doing your bit to avoid more deaths. We have to remember, thousands have/are dying.
Dr Hilary on GMB said not to drive unnecessarily as you will then need fuel and have to be in contact with others at the petrol station.

That's alot of crap and taking it too far if you pay at the pump or stay 2 metres from others! As said we will go mad if we can't drive except to supermarket :? Driving the Capri at some point is good for my mental health and a bit of light in this dark time :cool:

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7361
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:36 pm

andyd wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm
pbar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am
It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

I would use the exercise/wellbeing reasons if questioned to be honest, rather than lying about going shopping. It is not a time to be lying so you can do things.

It is all about common sense and doing your bit to avoid more deaths. We have to remember, thousands have/are dying.
Dr Hilary on GMB said not to drive unnecessarily as you will then need fuel and have to be in contact with others at the petrol station.

That's alot of crap and taking it too far if you pay at the pump or stay 2 metres from others! As said we will go mad if we can't drive except to supermarket :? Driving the Capri at some point is good for my mental health and a bit of light in this dark time :cool:
Just spoke to my doctor and am getting a letter sent in case things get worse (troops patrolling etc), the mighty tome that is my health records is full of examples of me saying that driving is good for my mental health. And it does sa you can leave the house "for any medical need", that's loosely worded for this precise reason I think. Its not like I'll be tooling around everywhere, but good to keep the option there to save me going mad.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Post Reply