Grief over climate change

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Grief over climate change

Post by Mr B »

Hi guy's,

With climate change being so predominantly in the news lately I just wanted to ask, do any of you get snide remarks said to you over our choice of car's?

My car's are normally on the receiving end of comments like, shit heap, Crapi, dinosaur, it's a skip on wheel's etc. I've got used to that type of remark now, But lately the comments have now morphed into "that type of car should be banned, you should have to pay extra road tax to have that thing on the road because of its emission levels"

I should say it's not the man in the street that says these things it's staff at my place of work, not a day goes by without a comment being said, do any of you guy's get this type of grief?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Grief over climate change

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mr B wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:39 pm do any of you guy's get this type of grief?
I can't say I do Wayne, no.
Mind you, if any of my colleagues said anything like that to me, I'd tell them to get lost and not speak to me until they've got something sensible to say! :lol:

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Two words, second word, off!! Probably jealous of someone in a real car than crap euro boxes.

These are the kind of people so worried about the climate, yet have T/Vs, laptops, tablets, mobile phones etc and probably fly abroad at least once a year.

I don't fly, hardly ever buy new clothes or gadgets. I drove my Capri 500 miles last year, my carbon footprint is probably alot less than theirs.

:cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

First question Mr B , no I can’t say I have ever had anybody say anything about the Capri negative even our diesel bus no body has said anything .

Second , Mr Andrew always had you down as a good boy , I hope it’s not these new films your watching on the Internet that’s making you Getting in to trouble :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Third Answer Mr Andy
I did wonder when you turned up At Brooklands in the school uniform it was looking a bit tight and raged :lol: perhaps we can have a whip round to get you some new gear mate :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Don't get me wrong my Capri I use for work is a 1980 3 litre Ghia that's unrestored and she does look her like a 40 year old car that's never been garaged but even so she's legitimately MOT'ed, taxed and insured.

I have tried to fight the Capri's corner but I gave up and just smile at my car's many detractors now.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I remind people that car manufacturing has a big carbon footprint, probably a bit more for electric cars.

Anyone who changes their car every few years or scraps a vehicle just because its got a couple of dents or a bit or rust they cant be arsed to sort out is causing much more global warming than a responsible classic car owner who may use a bit more fuel but doesnt cover that many miles.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Cradle to grave emissions, your Capri & pretty much everyone's else's would be more environmentally friendly than anything else in the car park mate ;)

And you could just tell them bollox :D
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Got to be honest, I’ve never had that Wayne. Only comments I’ve had when I’ve driven the Capri to work have been positive. Does bother me though to think that a lot of people think that way as they probably still drive their diesel car, use a hair drier, run their central heating, cook warm food & still moan to us about global warming.
Going to enjoy my old banger for as long as I can.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:04 pm Cradle to grave emissions, your Capri & pretty much everyone's else's would be more environmentally friendly than anything else in the car park mate ;)

And you could just tell them bollox :D
I would love to mate believe me but I think it would just make it worse if I was to bite back, saying that though my Capri becomes tax and mot exempt next year, I guess that'll be my time to laugh ;)

Wayne
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mr B wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:39 pm do any of you guy's get this type..
Yeah but its not your car... its not your clothes, its not your choices, hair / wit/ brain / colour choice or favourite band that drives them potty.... its just that they are mental. Theyre not bad, theyre just totally mental and desperate for some answer. And there you are trying to drive some 30 yr old motor and trying to enjoy your life.. there you are going "yeah I fix things rather than buying new things" and that is anathema to them. I have spent many moons analysing this phenomenon..

Bur basically its projection.. people picking holes the in tedium of life to find meaning in their own tedium. Meanwhile we are driving around and being these annoying real people that keep enjoying their fucking lives.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Gosh sorry I really must lighten up! I think we are great really, happy days my dear comrades x
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

You should have given them something to really moan about, by nipping down to Bristol and running over that Greta Thunberg. :xd:

That would have made her carbon neutral
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Where did my post go ?
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Not_Anumber wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:47 pm I remind people that car manufacturing has a big carbon footprint, probably a bit more for electric cars.

Anyone who changes their car every few years or scraps a vehicle just because its got a couple of dents or a bit or rust they cant be arsed to sort out is causing much more global warming than a responsible classic car owner who may use a bit more fuel but doesnt cover that many miles.
on the lines as I was going to say
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Late cars don't survive after being in flood water. Classic cars minus ecu's tend to survive after fresh oil
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Major_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 pm
Mr B wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:39 pm do any of you guy's get this type..
Yeah but its not your car... its not your clothes, its not your choices, hair / wit/ brain / colour choice or favourite band that drives them potty.... its just that they are mental. Theyre not bad, theyre just totally mental and desperate for some answer. And there you are trying to drive some 30 yr old motor and trying to enjoy your life.. there you are going "yeah I fix things rather than buying new things" and that is anathema to them. I have spent many moons analysing this phenomenon..

Bur basically its projection.. people picking holes the in tedium of life to find meaning in their own tedium. Meanwhile we are driving around and being these annoying real people that keep enjoying their fucking lives.
You are right though Tom. People are too busy obsessing over what other people are doing rather than getting on with their own lives. I blame social media. I suppose it reassures the masses that everybody around them is living an equally miserable and as you say tedious existence and that they are simply conforming with society’s norms. Anybody who doesn’t is increasingly seen as some kind of weirdo (unless you’re a Z-list celeb god, they are cool so can do as they like). It’s not just old cars, I think having any kind of hobby is increasingly seen as weird by the majority who just want to fit in and be like the next person, who strives to do the same. Zombies the lot of them.

I should lighten up too, I think it’s because I’ve been in London for a week, I’m zombied out!