Freeze Frame!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6789
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Freeze Frame!

Post by Peter-S » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 pm

I was a bit worried when I sat down earlier as the wife had paused an old episode of Open All Hours and I thought she wanted to continue watching (not my thing) but then I looked at the picture and all was clear :D

Image
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4890
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Fordoholic Nick » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 am

Peter-S wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 pm
I was a bit worried when I sat down earlier as the wife had paused an old episode of Open All Hours and I thought she wanted to continue watching (not my thing) but then I looked at the picture and all was clear :D

Image
:lol: :lol: Brilliant !! Love it !! What a great spot by your wife Peter and the fact she actually paused it for you to is just great ! Mrs F would not have done this for me :cry: :lol: :lol:

What a great little line up there and the thing is back then it was just normal ! How things have changed eh mate. So how long were you allowed to keep the tv on pause for...apart from long enough for you to get your camera and take this snap :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12974
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:32 am

Hi Peter,
What a great spot by your wife. That is one fantastic vintage butcher's boy bike, I can see why she was so keen for you to see it.
Oh, you mean the Capris... :D

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6746
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by andyd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 am

F,F,F, Ford C,C, Capris Granville.

tejb1
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6L (weekend/holidays)

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by tejb1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:08 am

Uninteresting fact - it was filmed in Doncaster in a hairdressers which was converted each time :-

https://goo.gl/maps/VWL5aD4V5nUC7eqF7

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3262
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Jasonmarie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 am

Now that was a great find and two capris :applaud:

Never new that Tom thought it was a normal shop
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7216
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Major_Tom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Peter-S wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 pm
I was a bit worried when I sat down earlier as the wife had paused an old episode of Open All Hours
I never worked out why it was called that, the hypocritical fucker spent an age god bothering at the end as he blundered around shutting the place.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Caprifan Rob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Major_Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:06 pm
Peter-S wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 pm
I was a bit worried when I sat down earlier as the wife had paused an old episode of Open All Hours
I never worked out why it was called that, the hypocritical fucker spent an age god bothering at the end as he blundered around shutting the place.
:lol:

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Caprifan Rob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Great picture Peter. Was watching the original ‘Gone in 60 Seconds’ last night when I spotted this mk1 sneaking an appearance behind the stolen mustang.

Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6746
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by andyd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm
Great picture Peter. Was watching the original ‘Gone in 60 Seconds’ last night when I spotted this mk1 sneaking an appearance behind the stolen mustang.

Image
Now that is a car chase :D

Great ending too :)

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Caprifan Rob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:45 pm

andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Now that is a car chase :D

Great ending too :)

40+ minutes of tyre squealing & sirens :drive:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6746
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by andyd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:45 pm
andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Now that is a car chase :D

Great ending too :)

40+ minutes of tyre squealing & sirens :drive:
:cheers:
They wrecked some cars making that film Rob!

Must have cost a fortune in 1974 :shock:

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Caprifan Rob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:30 pm

andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Caprifan Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:45 pm
andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Now that is a car chase :D

Great ending too :)

40+ minutes of tyre squealing & sirens :drive:
:cheers:
They wrecked some cars making that film Rob!

Must have cost a fortune in 1974 :shock:
:agree: Must have, a lot of nice cars disappeared making that film. What tickled me was how many spectators were lined up watching the stunts, there were so many they were in front of the cameras in some scenes. Great chase though & the car is still about & doing stunts in its smashed up state.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6746
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by andyd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:30 pm
andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Caprifan Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:45 pm



40+ minutes of tyre squealing & sirens :drive:
:cheers:
They wrecked some cars making that film Rob!

Must have cost a fortune in 1974 :shock:
:agree: Must have, a lot of nice cars disappeared making that film. What tickled me was how many spectators were lined up watching the stunts, there were so many they were in front of the cameras in some scenes. Great chase though & the car is still about & doing stunts in its smashed up state.
Found this online;

"Of all the films we've covered in this crossing the line series, Gone In 60 Seconds is by far the cheapest, with a budget of just $150,000 - a miniscule sum of money for a car chase flick, even by 1970s standards. But Gone In 60 Seconds also the most ambitious, with HB Halicki writing, producing and starring in this daring story about an insurance investigator who also happens to be an expert car thief. The rather thin plot sees him tasked with stealing 48 desirable vehicles in just five days - a pretext, really, for a series of spectacular car chases, culminating in a 40-minute driving sequence which still holds the record for the longest in movie history."

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Caprifan Rob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:04 pm

andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Found this online;

"Of all the films we've covered in this crossing the line series, Gone In 60 Seconds is by far the cheapest, with a budget of just $150,000 - a miniscule sum of money for a car chase flick, even by 1970s standards.
Must have cost more than that to fit out Arkwright’s shop ;)

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6746
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by andyd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:04 pm
andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Found this online;

"Of all the films we've covered in this crossing the line series, Gone In 60 Seconds is by far the cheapest, with a budget of just $150,000 - a miniscule sum of money for a car chase flick, even by 1970s standards.
Must have cost more than that to fit out Arkwright’s shop ;)
:lol:

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12974
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm

andyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 pm
The rather thin plot sees him tasked with stealing 48 desirable vehicles in just five days - a pretext, really, for a series of spectacular car chases, culminating in a 40-minute driving sequence
Who needs a plot when you've got a 40 minute driving sequence? :D
I haven't seen the film, but I'll check out the highlights on YouTube when I've got the time spare.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by D366Y » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 pm

I watched this a while back simply because it had a 40minute chase in it - I don't remember there even being a plot, just a lot of nice old cars screaming around :lol:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6746
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by andyd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm

D366Y wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 pm
I watched this a while back simply because it had a 40minute chase in it - I don't remember there even being a plot, just a lot of nice old cars screaming around :lol:
I don't think there would have been many awards for the standard of acting :lol:

All about the :drive:

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7216
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Freeze Frame!

Post by Major_Tom » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:59 pm

But what about the remake?!! All the great cgi, the way it worked with the quick, jazzy camera cuts and zooming in and out to simulate actual excitement.. it just worked. Ooh, and the supporting actors were just the tops, every line of dialgue and all those little subplots and their relationshipsjust added such dynamism to the already complex story. It just worked so well. And Nicholas Cage, oh, what a memorable performance, so believeable and inspired, not at all like any of his other characters he's played. And the soundtrack....
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Post Reply