Future Classics

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Future Classics

Post by stevemarl »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:13 pm Goblin works did a EV car tonight what was a little 500 Fiat it cost them over £40k to do
Bugger! No, not bugger - it`s still on +1 so thanks for reminder as I DID want to see it! Want to know what`s involved, then again, probably be none the wiser after watching this.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I know someone who is converting an Austin 7 to all electric. I see it frequently, still in progress, it is incredibly involved and has had a lot of custom made stuff, is costing an awful lot of money and has taken many months so far. Nice chap. It is interesting. Excerpt below from a local car magazine.

mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

This is interesting to see, wasn't someone like Aston or someone making an electric kit for a classic car now?

Edit: just found this https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Over Xmas I went back to where I grew up to visit family and friends, and I was using some of the roads that I would drive as fast as I could when I was in my late teens. Funny how we change as I rarely go over 70 now and I get no enjoyment from going fast.

Electric cars may be fast but I wouldn't enjoy driving one as I said before I prefer to hear the engine than the whine of electric motor, and you may get to 60 in 3 seconds but on our roads that is pretty much impossible with the amount of other road users.

As much as I would like a UK Mustang, again it seems a waste if you don't drive it to it's potential, but theres something about a V8 burble that makes 60mph seem attractive :D But at some pouint I can see road tax (or whatever you want to call it) on 'gallon guzzlers' going through the roof to prevent people buying them :(
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm On that note, I recommend buying January's copy of Viz, it is a particularly funny edition, much needed for these troubling times!
Happy Birthday Tom! :cheers:

Is Viz still going? I thought it would have died a death years ago.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:05 am
Major_Tom wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm On that note, I recommend buying January's copy of Viz, it is a particularly funny edition, much needed for these troubling times!
Happy Birthday Tom! :cheers:

Is Viz still going? I thought it would have died a death years ago.

Andrew.
Happy Birthday Buster Gonad :D

:cheers:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

So what we're saying is everyone should stop buying any new cars at all, keep using the cars that are already on the road as while they are less environmentally friendly emissions wise, they've already been built which causes a load more emissions anyway and we'll all be fine!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Shoes, cars, toys, holidays abroad, makeup, fashion, tellies, phones, white goods, computers (now conveniently included in everything from cars to washing machines)... all designed to have a fairly short service life and be hard for you to fix or be outright disposable, all dressed up as something you want / deserve / rinse and repeat.. billions of humans all doing this, this is the problem. For us. Theyll be okay.

And yes, buy Viz this month its hilarious!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

oh and thanks for the birthday wishes.. just got back from edinburgh with a sore scottish throat of gaelic severity... my feeble southern frame can barely handle it.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm Shoes, cars, toys, holidays abroad, makeup, fashion, tellies, phones, white goods, computers (now conveniently included in everything from cars to washing machines)... all designed to have a fairly short service life and be hard for you to fix or be outright disposable, all dressed up as something you want / deserve / rinse and repeat.. billions of humans all doing this, this is the problem. For us. Theyll be okay.

And yes, buy Viz this month its hilarious!
Not much is built to last now and many people want the best of or newest of everything.

My auntie still has a Zanussi freezer from 1989!! Never happen now as most household goods seem to last 5 years before they breakdown and need to be replaced, even higher priced items are still made like :turd: so you may as well buy the cheapest. Not a good attitude when it's often cheaper to buy new rather than a repair with parts and labour.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am Over Xmas I went back to where I grew up to visit family and friends, and I was using some of the roads that I would drive as fast as I could when I was in my late teens. Funny how we change as I rarely go over 70 now and I get no enjoyment from going fast.

Electric cars may be fast but I wouldn't enjoy driving one as I said before I prefer to hear the engine than the whine of electric motor, and you may get to 60 in 3 seconds but on our roads that is pretty much impossible with the amount of other road users.

As much as I would like a UK Mustang, again it seems a waste if you don't drive it to it's potential, but theres something about a V8 burble that makes 60mph seem attractive :D But at some pouint I can see road tax (or whatever you want to call it) on 'gallon guzzlers' going through the roof to prevent people buying them :(
I pleased to say that it was caught on video of you back in the days Andy .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

andyd wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm My auntie still has a Zanussi freezer from 1989!!
Yeah my dads got an old Baxi boiler thats 45 years old... needed its second new part last year, heat exchanger rusted through. Last repair was pilot light about 25 years back.

Yes people have been convinced with shocking ease that new = desirable. Whilst theres nothing wrong with buying a new car in itself, we dont or cant run them for 20+ years and trading them in even after 3 years is considered normal fot millions of people.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:11 pm Yeah my dads got an old Baxi boiler thats 45 years old..
Me too, every year BG do the safety check, which it passes, and I`m told how inefficient it is etc, etc. It would`ve been replaced about 3 times over if we`d listened - and probably with something less reliable.
I`ve got a VHS of `the Fat Slags` from way back, just sorted out a working player so might watch that later. Can you get Viz at WH Smiths, as I must admit I`ve not seen it for ages?
And also, Many Happy Returns Tom!!!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:20 pm
andyd wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am Over Xmas I went back to where I grew up to visit family and friends, and I was using some of the roads that I would drive as fast as I could when I was in my late teens. Funny how we change as I rarely go over 70 now and I get no enjoyment from going fast.

I pleased to say that it was caught on video of you back in the days Andy .
Eh up JM :wave:

That looks like the bike I rode just over 20 years ago when I was a postman :lol:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:11 pm Yeah my dads got an old Baxi boiler thats 45 years old..
Me too, every year BG do the safety check, which it passes, and I`m told how inefficient it is etc, etc. It would`ve been replaced about 3 times over if we`d listened - and probably with something less reliable.
I`ve got a VHS of `the Fat Slags` from way back, just sorted out a working player so might watch that later. Can you get Viz at WH Smiths, as I must admit I`ve not seen it for ages?
Thanks! Yes I think so, think asda do it too, and a few petrol stations. It really is a good edition, a Postman Plod Top Tip booklet, all the usual stuff and a two page spread of "origins of strange sayings and quaint phrases" like 'over the moon' and 'the bees knees' which Im still laughing about now :lol:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:24 pm
stevemarl wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Thanks! Yes I think so, think asda do it too, and a few petrol stations. It really is a good edition, a Postman Plod Top Tip booklet, all the usual stuff and a two page spread of "origins of strange sayings and quaint phrases" like 'over the moon' and 'the bees knees' which Im still laughing about now :lol:
Happy Birthday Tom :cheers:
Roger Mellie & Sid the Sexist were always my favourite viz characters. Got a few annuals too still kicking around. Havn't seen it for years, good fun though.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I may have a carbon neutral walk down to Smiths tomorrow.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:54 pm Happy Birthday Tom :cheers:
Thanks! And yes its still going pick a copy up, this issue is tip top hole what what.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm this issue is tip top hole what what.
I can confirm that - very, very funny - although gutted that Buster seems to be no more, still I suppose it was only a matter of time.
(My ex, who is normally quite articulate, was reduced to just repeating "Oh my God" 8 times consecutively, on seeing the Fat Slags :lol: )
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm this issue is tip top hole what what.
although gutted that Buster seems to be no more, still I suppose it was only a matter of time.
I wonder who had his wheel barrow :headscratch: :D