Any thoughts on the new Ford Capri idea

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Any thoughts on the new Ford Capri idea

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:56 pm I know I`m out of date and that`s what people want
I'm happy to be old fashioned if that's what "on trend" people have to drive.

By the way, I'm disgusted that the legendary Mustang name has been sullied by being placed on that abhorrent piece of :turd: .
Knowing that the Mustang name has been used in this way, I now fear that the same may happen with the Capri.
Steve Saxty wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm Unlike the majority of opposite lock heroes I have no dislike of SUVs
It's not correct to call anybody with a dislike of SUVs an "opposite lock hero". Why should we drive an over-sized and over-weight car if we have no need for them?

Andrew.
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

I don’t think it’s a bad looking car, but agree it should not be called a Mustang and hope ford don’t do this to the Capri.

I received an email from Ford announcing this new car and went and explored it on their site.
The let down is the dash...because it is not mustang, just an iPad!
But the argument will be this design is saving ford money...

Surely they could have come up with different names; Fusion, XR-E...Eleanor?
I guess they know what they’re doing.

The world has changed, James May has brought two new cars, a Tesla and a Toyota fuel cell hybrid thing, trying to decide which is the best way forward, and gave a good explanation for hydrogen fuel cell and how it could power everything.
I’m not totally sold on electric yet.

I just hope we can still enjoy our cars for a long time yet, that’s my only concern.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Pas28i wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:03 pm The let down is the dash...because it is not mustang, just an iPad!
Wow, had a look at that and it IS weird. It actually looks completely out of place, as though it was grafted on at the last minute. Saw 5th gear review of the Tesla and VBH`s main criticism was the central control screen: how can you use it without taking your eyes off the road? Other than that, it`s definitely the future. Whichever country has the biggest lithium reserves will be the next Saudi!
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Call me cynical but I can't help but think marketing is fully at play here. Mustang is all but a brand in itself. If you look there isn't a Ford badge in sight. Take the current Mustang stock, it has to be made for Ford to have status in the US, it gets sales figures extended now as its RHD, then you've got to sell it at a 50k price tag. Is anybody going to buy a Ford blue collar car at 50k? Nope they'll buy Audi in my eyes plain and simple. However with Mustang you kind of get supeecar credibility or certainly that kind of road presence for half the price and remember you drive a Mustang not a Ford (Really of course its a Ford.) Now with a full electric SUV there is a premium price tag. It has to play into Audi and Jaguar and leaders Tesla Markets in E-Suv so again with the Mach-e you have road presence - tick, you charge a premium which may prize current Top of the range Ford SUV buyers to flip to try a 40k electric Ford - Tick, you drive buyers from premium brand electric SUV s into Ford showrooms (well let's just have a look, we don't have to buy customers) 15k plus cheaper - tick. You bring a whole new eco friendly market into Ford showrooms - tick. Not to mention youth, people who don't have nostalgia on thier side but want excitement and modernism and don't care s shite about history or Capris etc - tick. Is it a Mustang, yes. Look at the first Mustangs, not the quickest and radical driving a new sector for Ford. Did the mustang evolve to become the car we all love? Yes, it went through terrible times and then re-emerge reinvented. I kind of get it but it does smack as marketing rather than daring. I will say Ford cannot afford to have nostalgia on thier side it only works for tourists wanting to look at static art or older people who will drive older cars just as we have always done.

It's a nod to the Mustang and is named Mustang because Ford and marketing cannot charge a premium for a Ford, they have learnt that with Mondeo/Vignale.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm It's not correct to call anybody with a dislike of SUVs an "opposite lock hero". Why should we drive an over-sized and over-weight car if we have no need for them?
Andrew.
Well said. That was an awful comment.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm
Knowing that the Mustang name has been used in this way, I now fear that the same may happen with the Capri.
Yes, precisely what I've been thinking for years, as said a few times on here recently when something is revived/remade/rehashed/redone, it rarely furthers the legend, but most likely dampens it. They just can't do things as well as they used to, in any field.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did laugh today as we are looking at getting a new bus as we have a Mercedes Vito at the moment as we could not get a automatic transit when we got the vito . So thought we would look at ford again and started to price up the titanium X bus with a automatic box. The site kept knocking me out , so phoned fords direct . Well they will not be selling cars for long as she said they don’t make the transit in automatic and was so rude . so looks like we are getting the mercedes again as the lady there was really nice when I phoned and I get 5 years free service what ticks all my boxes and free breakdown cover .

Also when looking here’s the new mustang van that’s coming out

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I thought this was going to be called ‘Model-E’ following a legal battle between Ford and Tesla over the use of that name which Ford won. Unless that’s something else they have in the pipeline.

I really don’t get the SUV trend, I occasionally get an X1 or a Q3 as a courtesy car and I find them awful to be honest. To the 99.9% of people who aren’t car/driving enthusiasts however they are more practical, easier to get in and out of and provide better visibility; the fact they are top heavy, generally overweight and bulbous doesn’t matter. I’ll stick with my 5 Series for practical motoring, and if I ever need (even) more space I’ll get an estate. We should really give credit to the Germans for keeping this segment alive....

I do wonder if the SUV trend will last, the school-run-mum image isn’t for everyone and may become a bit naff over time (with any luck!)....
pbar

Post by pbar »

mjcapri wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:44 am
I do wonder if the SUV trend will last, the school-run-mum image isn’t for everyone and may become a bit naff over time (with any luck!)....
I keep waiting for the fashion to end too, like people carriers did, remember them?!
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

pbar wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:54 am
mjcapri wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:44 am
I keep waiting for the fashion to end too, like people carriers did, remember them?!
Vaguely, I think Ford made one called the Galaxy or something.... :lol:

It’s a good point though, they were the future once!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 am
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm
Yes, precisely what I've been thinking for years, as said a few times on here recently when something is revived/remade/rehashed/redone, it rarely furthers the legend, but most likely dampens it. They just can't do things as well as they used to, in any field.
I feel the same way about the recent supra toyota released - with a name like that there is a lot of expectation, but I think the new one looks terrible compared to the previous models
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

Back to the Toyota gt86, how and why do they sell this car with a Lexus badge on it. Am I wrong or are they the identical car with a different badge?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mgentry90 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:04 pm Back to the Toyota gt86, how and why do they sell this car with a Lexus badge on it. Am I wrong or are they the identical car with a different badge?
Do you mean Subaru?
The car was a joint venture between the two companies, platform-sharing to reduce costs is abundant in the motor industry.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am I feel the same way about the recent supra toyota released - with a name like that there is a lot of expectation, but I think the new one looks terrible compared to the previous models
That's exactly what I thought when Vauxhall decided to reuse the Viva name. There was a lot of expectation with the new model, but it couldn't hope to achieve the same level of greatness as the HC! :lol:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 pm
D366Y wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am I feel the same way about the recent supra toyota released - with a name like that there is a lot of expectation, but I think the new one looks terrible compared to the previous models
That's exactly what I thought when Vauxhall decided to reuse the Viva name. There was a lot of expectation with the new model, but it couldn't hope to achieve the same level of greatness as the HC! :lol:

Andrew.
Was that a white JPS viva ? :lol: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 pm Was that a white JPS viva ?
Yes, the one with wee Jimmy Krankie in the passenger seat! :lol:

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fandabidozi :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

:applaud: :applaud: :lol: Very good

And now she wants to be the PM :lol: :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

They have used that famous cook Ken Wok to test drive the new joke from Fords , just one thing that iPad Pro in the front would drive me nuts . The Stick from Top Gear is there as well , I can’t see them letting Clarkson drive it :lol:

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:07 pm just one thing that iPad Pro in the front would drive me nuts .
I had a steering wheel stuffed down my pants. It was driving me nuts..... :D

Andrew.