I sold a car almost 2 years ago and its never been picked up.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
charliepinto
Car(s): 2.0 Laser

I sold a car almost 2 years ago and its never been picked up.

Post by charliepinto »

Hi all,

sorry not strictly capri related but I need advice as I'm at a bit of a loss with this one, I've seen quite a lot of similar cases but not quite like mine.

I sold an old landrover almost 2 years ago to a gentleman in America, he paid promptly, V5 singed over and said he would arrange shipping soon. Time went by and he then said he needed to have the engine out of the car as it was not matching numbers which is a must when importing a classic to the US. He said a garage would pick it up soon to do the work. Anyway almost 2 years has gone by and there has been little attempt to pick it up. I get an email every 3 months saying it'll be picked up soon etc but nothing ever happens. I haven't cared much as I have a big warehouse and the car has sat outside happily. Though 2 years un-started and unwashed, it looks a bit sorry in comparison to what it once was - but I felt it would be risky for me to touch it seeing as I don't own it. Anyway, I'm leaving my storage space at the end of this year, I don't want to cause a fuss with him but what are my options? Do I just roll it on to a curb? Do i say I'll take it with me but I will charge storage? Does it ever become mine again? I've offered to sell it on his behalf and no real response.

Help!!

Thanks chaps :whistle: :cheers:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: I sold a car almost 2 years ago and its never been picked up.

Post by andyd »

The new owner has free storage as it stands, so personally I would send him an email stating you are leaving the current premises at the end of the year, and if the vehicle isn't collected beforehand it will be left there with the keys in a specific place in the vehicle or with any new owner of the premises, therefore it is not your concern.

As you say you have no right to touch or move it, and it's condition is not your problem as it's now someone elses property.

:goodluck:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

He bought a car two years ago, paid, and never picked it up? What?!

Pretty much as Andy says, I would just be honest and say you cannot store it any longer and he needs to either collect or find alternative storage himself. I guess you could do the groundwork and find storage on his behalf, he pays of course.

Any pics of the Reliant Robin?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

What a bizarre situation!

That's probably not much help to you.... :)

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I would amass several bags of particulate iron and aluminium oxides and just claim it rusted away.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If you have an address for the purchaser could you send him a formal letter, preferably by recorded delivery, telling him that if he doesn't collect the vehicle within a certain time then it will be sold for scrap. Send him the same letter by email just to make sure he gets the picture.

Leaving it with you for over two years is unreasonable behaviour and I doubt that any court would find against you if you had sent him the letter/email before disposing of the Land Rover.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

From memory although it is worth checking with citizens advice there is a process to follow nd the vehicle can be yours. Its all about what is reasonable. I think it's a period of 3 months and two notifications of disposal if no contact and not collected. You can't be expected to keep a vehicle for that length of time. The buyer may well have good reason such as long term illness or loss of details but providing that you have been reasonable in your efforts then it will weigh in your favour. Whatever costs you incur etc do need to be deducted from what you sell the vehicle for and the rest is yours. There is a correct terminology for this and it is defined in law. I would seek advice and keep all correspondence in relation to this. The best thing you can have is an audit trail and a reasonable due process of actions and behaviour.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Have you responded to his emails ?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Send it to him in bits if he doesnt acquiesce to your demands.. like an 80s kidnapper.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:51 pm Send it to him in bits if he doesnt acquiesce to your demands.. like an 80s kidnapper.
You could write the ransom notes in oil from the car, go full serial killer
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 am
Major_Tom wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:51 pm Send it to him in bits if he doesnt acquiesce to your demands.. like an 80s kidnapper.
You could write the ransom notes in oil from the car, go full serial killer
Yes I concur!