New Member - and message for Brooksy

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 am

For ages I’ve been meaning to register on this forum but somehow never got round to it. However, a chance encounter with Brooksy at Brooklands on Sunday made me think it was about time I took action. Otherwise how can I tell him I enjoyed our little chat and very much liked his car?

So, hello Brooksy. It was good to meet you and I love your car – almost identical to mine. (I’d already had a good nose around it before you introduced yourself.)

And hello to the rest of you. I’m sure many of you already know me and my car or have seen us somewhere. But if not my name is Margaret and I drive a 2-litre Laser.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6441
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by andyd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 am

:welcome: To the forum Margaret.

I saw your car on Sunday and it is a beauty :D Must be nice to own a car for that long and still be enthusiastic about it.

Nige (Brooksy) was telling me about his chat with you on our way home :)

Andy

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am

Thank you for the welcome and the compliments Andy. It is indeed lovely to have owned such a nice car for such a long time. I really don't know where the time went and I'm so hopelessly emotionally involved now that I can't imagine where or how our story will end.

As for enthusiasm, I have frequent bouts of doubt and uncertainty, especially in the winter months. It's events like Brooklands that give me the joy and inspiration to continue.

Would have liked to talk to Brooksy a bit longer but I know he had a long journey ahead. Hope everyone got home OK.

Margaret

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983, early 5 speed. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Not_Anumber » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am

Your reputation goes before you Margaret. You are well regarded here for helping many other owners and spreading the Capri enthusiasm. :welcome:

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2920
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Jasonmarie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello yes I did see your amazing laser it’s a real credit to you . Was such a busy day and time went so fast . Welcome to the site . And I did here at Brooklands that ford have said The Pinto was and still is the best Engine in the world :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Not_Anumber wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am
Your reputation goes before you Margaret. You are well regarded here for helping many other owners and spreading the Capri enthusiasm. :welcome:
OMG, Big Brother is watching! Hope I haven't unknowingly done anything I'll live to regret.

Thanks for making me welcome.

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 pm
Hello yes I did see your amazing laser it’s a real credit to you . Was such a busy day and time went so fast . Welcome to the site . And I did here at Brooklands that ford have said The Pinto was and still is the best Engine in the world :beer:
Thank you. Long live the Pinto!

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Brooksy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi Maraget, it's Nige here. :welcome:

Great that you've joined the forum and welcome!

It was great to meet you and your amazing Laser on Sunday. As I said, it's a real credit to you.

As my friend Andy said on the day, we could have done with 2 days to see all the cars and chat to the owners. Nevertheless, it was amazing to see such a gathering and at such an historic venue too.

Thanks for the feedback on my Laser; I now have another silver one to aspire too!

Glad you enjoyed the day as I did and thanks for showing me around your Laser.
Nige Image

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983, early 5 speed. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Not_Anumber » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Mk3 Mags wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Not_Anumber wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am

OMG, Big Brother is watching! Hope I haven't unknowingly done anything I'll live to regret.

Thanks for making me welcome.
No all good ! :chillpill:
http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index ... ost-405620

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12538
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm

:welcome: to the forum.
I too saw your Laser at Brooklands and also thought that it was a stunning example.
Very nice indeed.
I didn't have the chance to meet up with you there, but hopefully we'll get the opportunity to have a chat on another occasion.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6699
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Peter-S » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm

So yours was the 'other' silver one? I mentioned to my mate Mick how clean and original it looked on the day. Really nice Capri :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Brooksy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm
Hi Maraget, it's Nige here. :welcome:

Great that you've joined the forum and welcome!

It was great to meet you and your amazing Laser on Sunday. As I said, it's a real credit to you.

As my friend Andy said on the day, we could have done with 2 days to see all the cars and chat to the owners. Nevertheless, it was amazing to see such a gathering and at such an historic venue too.

Thanks for the feedback on my Laser; I now have another silver one to aspire too!

Glad you enjoyed the day as I did and thanks for showing me around your Laser.
Hi Nige

Thanks for the welcome. It was a rather overwhelming day, wasn't it, and seemed to be over in a flash. I missed quite a few people I wanted to see.

As I said, I think your Laser is every bit as good as mine. I'm especially envious of your seats as mine are beginning to go.

Wonderful day. I'm still on a high and anybody who likes my car is a friend of mine.

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm
:welcome: to the forum.
I too saw your Laser at Brooklands and also thought that it was a stunning example.
Very nice indeed.
I didn't have the chance to meet up with you there, but hopefully we'll get the opportunity to have a chat on another occasion.

Andrew.
Thank you Andrew. I'm sure I must have seen your car too. Next time we all get together we really must have some form of identification. I probably saw all of you but had no idea who you were or I would certainly have stopped for a chat.

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Peter-S wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm
So yours was the 'other' silver one? I mentioned to my mate Mick how clean and original it looked on the day. Really nice Capri :D
Really flattered to see my car so much appreciated. As for clean, there's a story behind that. It normally takes me about 12 hours to bring the car to show condition - on separate days, I might add. I started about two weeks ago, washed, rinsed, waxed and glossed. It wasn't until I'd finished that I ran my hand over the paintwork and found the bonnet and front wings covered in overspray (from a recent visit to the body shop). Couldn't stand the feel of it so stripped the front end and did it all over again.

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983, early 5 speed. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Not_Anumber » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 am

What is the recommendation for getting rid of light overspray ?

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:20 am

Not_Anumber wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 am
What is the recommendation for getting rid of light overspray ?
I used a clay bar. Takes some courage as you're quite convinced it's going to scratch.

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Fordoholic Nick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Margaret,

:welcome:

It's fantastic you have decided to join us. Your Laser is remarkable !! Absolutely stunning. Have heard lots of it and you from Kris so it's brilliant to have you on board the forum train... powered by a Pinto of course :lol:

Shame I did not get a chance to say hello on Sunday but its great to be able to say hi here... So... Hi Margaret :wave:

Anyway look forward to seeing pics of your amazing Laser and of course chatting to you both here and next time at a meet

All the best Margaret and Welcome to the forum once again :)

Ps I met Nige for the first time too Sunday and what a nice chap he is and I had a great chat with him too and looked over his stunnjng laser. It is a credit to him :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am
Hi Margaret,

:welcome:

It's fantastic you have decided to join us. Your Laser is remarkable !! Absolutely stunning. Have heard lots of it and you from Kris so it's brilliant to have you on board the forum train... powered by a Pinto of course :lol:

Shame I did not get a chance to say hello on Sunday but its great to be able to say hi here... So... Hi Margaret :wave:

Anyway look forward to seeing pics of your amazing Laser and of course chatting to you both here and next time at a meet

All the best Margaret and Welcome to the forum once again :)

Ps I met Nige for the first time too Sunday and what a nice chap he is and I had a great chat with him too and looked over his stunnjng laser. It is a credit to him :)
What a lovely welcome. Many thanks. You’ve all made me feel very much at home on here. So Kris was responsible for the leak, was he? I’ll have words with him.

The old girl isn’t perfect (well, neither of us is) but I keep an eye on her and try to tackle any problems as they arise… powered by a Pinto and a Pensioner indeed. I’ll try to find a nice photo to post; maybe put it in Members Cars.

As you say, Nige is a nice chap and his Laser is spot on too.

It really is a shame we didn’t get to chat, but there are so many people I missed. I’m sure we’ll get a chance some day.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by D366Y » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:23 am

Mk3 Mags wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

What a lovely welcome. Many thanks. You’ve all made me feel very much at home on here. So Kris was responsible for the leak, was he? I’ll have words with him.

The old girl isn’t perfect (well, neither of us is) but I keep an eye on her and try to tackle any problems as they arise… powered by a Pinto and a Pensioner indeed. I’ll try to find a nice photo to post; maybe put it in Members Cars.
Welcome Mags, I was rubbish at being around and saying hi to everyone on Sunday, but I've found the photographer on facebook who's posting the entry pictures he took of all the cars - if you want to give me your reg I'll see if I can find yours for you and post it up? :)

Danny

Mk3 Mags
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: New Member - and message for Brooksy

Post by Mk3 Mags » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 am

D366Y wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:23 am
Mk3 Mags wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

What a lovely welcome. Many thanks. You’ve all made me feel very much at home on here. So Kris was responsible for the leak, was he? I’ll have words with him.

The old girl isn’t perfect (well, neither of us is) but I keep an eye on her and try to tackle any problems as they arise… powered by a Pinto and a Pensioner indeed. I’ll try to find a nice photo to post; maybe put it in Members Cars.
Welcome Mags, I was rubbish at being around and saying hi to everyone on Sunday, but I've found the photographer on facebook who's posting the entry pictures he took of all the cars - if you want to give me your reg I'll see if I can find yours for you and post it up? :)

Danny
I was rubbish too, both at getting around and taking photos.

Registration number is C498 GGK

Many thanks Danny.

Post Reply