Car Storage?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Car Storage?

Post by Cosmicbike »

How do people store their Capri's? I'm fortunate enough to have a single garage attached to the house, so that houses the Laser whilst I work on it. My problem is I've spotted a Mk1 for sale, and I'd need somewhere to store it undercover. I can rent a garage in block from the local council, though that may not be very local. I guess if the car is insured and I am able to put a decent lock on the garage it's less of an issue. Anyone else store their car remotely?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Car Storage?

Post by stevemarl »

I believe you can get 3g alarms now which would send you a txt message if triggered, maybe a good idea if it`s beyond hearing range? Also get one of those circular self enclosed locks they put on van doors, can`t see any way of bypassing that without an angle grinder.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I have one of these on my garage that I rent to a mate https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-garage ... XQXQxRZ86l Many other versions available.

I would also have a Disklok/Wheelclamp on the car in the garage too.
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

I've got a double garage at my parents where my capri is and my dad just bought some heavy duty deadbolt locks from amazon for about £20 a pair. Theyve got hardened steel bolts that are about 15mm thick and mount on the inside on the door with captive bolts so the only way to get through them is with a grinder. Deffinately worth looking into, I plan on sticking them on my garage when I move out
Ratty as fuck
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 am I guess if the car is insured and I am able to put a decent lock on the garage it's less of an issue.
I know many people who keep their classic cars away from home. As you say, keep it insured and be as vigilant as you can with security. Council garages are typically very good, they don't get very cold in winter, are a decent size at 16' x 8' and cost around a tenner a week. You can of course swap council garages as others become available, if you can only currently find one which the location of which you are not completely happy with, you don't have to keep them for a contracted time. You might have a slight rigmaroll with insurance, dependant on company, as some don't like the cars to be sited away from home and some have the infamous within-a-mile stipulation (they prefer cars to be over a mile away if not at home to avoid people saying their car is kept at the home garage but lazily left outside). Lancaster have proven to be excellent though with this kind of situation. You will be fine :)
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Footman James are OK with a garage not at your home, but they send a pro forma with details of its location etc.