Air Tools & Compressors?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Air Tools & Compressors?

Post by Cosmicbike »

My poor DeWalt is getting a hiding with all the wire brushing and the like, so I'm wondering if it's worth investing in a compressor and some air tools. Air sander to start with that will take 2" and 3" ROLOC discs, and then an HVLP spray gun. I've used SGS in the past and they do this little beastie for cheap money, but maybe not going to be man enough for paint?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc6h-6- ... compressor

Maybe need a bigger tank, so perhaps..

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc24h-2 ... compressor

They do some deals to so might look at those
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Re: Air Tools & Compressors?

Post by mjcapri »

The first one is definitely too small. SGS sell the second one as part of a painting kit so it should be ok although I suspect it will be near its limit reading the specs.

I hate air tools, much prefer electric. Are you using a drill for wire brushing? If so use cheap a one as it ruins them in no time, or can you not use a grinder (much more effective)? I have a small Metabo electric sander which takes ROLOC discs so even that kind of thing is available these days; i just don’t have a need for a compressor at home. I’m probably in the minority but having used air tools at work for years in the past I just don’t like them; if you’re painting I can understand it though.

One further thing to consider is whether you need an air fed mask; if so you’ll certainly need a much larger compressor along with suitable filtration.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Although I haven't used it with air power tools (I'm inclined to think you need something quite beefy for such things), I would certainly recommend the Aldi compressors, if they come back in near you, they often come with great accessories too -

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

+1 for the Aldi compressor. Fantastic for the price and certainly strong enough for most jobs you would encounter
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

mjcapri wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am The first one is definitely too small. SGS sell the second one as part of a painting kit so it should be ok although I suspect it will be near its limit reading the specs.

I hate air tools, much prefer electric. Are you using a drill for wire brushing? If so use cheap a one as it ruins them in no time, or can you not use a grinder (much more effective)? I have a small Metabo electric sander which takes ROLOC discs so even that kind of thing is available these days; i just don’t have a need for a compressor at home. I’m probably in the minority but having used air tools at work for years in the past I just don’t like them; if you’re painting I can understand it though.

One further thing to consider is whether you need an air fed mask; if so you’ll certainly need a much larger compressor along with suitable filtration.
Seconded re wire brushing - I have a cheapo screwfix own make drill, which cost in the region of £30-40, specifically for this job (or as an overkill electric screwdriver) to avoid damaging quality ones.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Cosmicbike wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:17 pm My poor DeWalt is getting a hiding with all the wire brushing and the like, so I'm wondering if it's worth investing in a compressor and some air tools. Air sander to start with that will take 2" and 3" ROLOC discs, and then an HVLP spray gun. I've used SGS in the past and they do this little beastie for cheap money, but maybe not going to be man enough for paint?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc6h-6- ... compressor

Maybe need a bigger tank, so perhaps..

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc24h-2 ... compressor

They do some deals to so might look at those
I have the next one up from this with the 50 litre tank and it's been OK, will keep up enough pressure to spray but motor cuts in after a couple of panels but air tools generally won't run for long without needing it to fill the tank again.(which is does quite quickly).

I wish I could have gone for the next one up with 100 litre tank but don't have the space.

The air tools they give away with it (mine came with windy gun, air saw, DA sander etc) and not very good to say the least and you have to use the metric air connectors too.