Sinclair C5

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Sinclair C5

Post by pbar »

Here is the new version, about to be released I think, by Clive Sinclair's nephew -

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

That`s a brilliant idea and really nicely done. I would buy that tomorrow as it would be cheap to run and perfect for nipping to all the places it`s impossible to find parking. Except, it still has the downside which crippled the C5 - it`s SO small and SO low down. I`d be terrified in normal traffic, a cyclist has more height/visibility. It`s a shame because it really could fill a niche. Maybe still ahead of it`s time, maybe in 2050 when petrol`s banned?
IIRC, didn`t the original have options of a sort of `flagpole` to give it more height and visibility?
Looking again, maybe it`s not as low as at first glance, you don`t have any dimensions for this do you Paul?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am it still has the downside which crippled the C5 - it`s SO small and SO low down. I`d be terrified in normal traffic
I dont know what you mean Steve... :shock: :lol:

https://youtu.be/siqeU0BsOt0
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am That`s a brilliant idea and really nicely done. I would buy that tomorrow as it would be cheap to run and perfect for nipping to all the places it`s impossible to find parking.
There is a massive downside though, the cost, apparently a whopping £3500. And the potential to have it nicked must be high, a couple of guys maybe could just walk off with it.

And what happens to the screen when it rains I wonder? With no obvious wipers you just won't see through it?

Not sure what the sizes are yet, and yes the original C5 did have the flagpole, think it was added as a later feature/option. I assume this new one will be governed by insurance and tax, whereas the C5 wasn't due to it's maximum speed i.e. lower than 15mph.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

I have to be honest, the original C5 answered a question that no one had asked. I think his nephew may be in danger of doing the same thing. My daily commute is around a half hour & that takes in dual carriageway & bus route driving, none of which I'd feel safe using one of these as Steve mentioned.
If I lived close enough to work to use one of these on quiet ish roads, I'd use a push bike. I'd like him to prove me wrong after the obvious development costs which I think may have been better spent on seeing if there is a market. I think a smartly designed electric motorbike would sell much better.
As to your original question Paul, I only saw one of these back then & that was only once, we nearly ran it over on way to work , it was early morning & dark & raining. Never saw it again..
My neigbour has 2 of these, one that's complete & another for parts which are just gathering garage dust. ( He's a bit of hoarder, got loads of classic motorbikes too), never seen any if them on the road :doh: :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for your reply and info Rob :) I think you're absolutely correct, this will have the same failure rate as the original. And actually, I think the original looks better!