Capri artwork

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Capri artwork

Post by Steve Saxty »

I'm just about to sign off the cover art for the new Capri 50 book this week, what do you think? One is for the slipcase on the signed and numbered Collector's Edition and the three cars will be on the cover. The guy isn't cheap who draws these for me. Although this second book will be cheaper at £25 (as it's softback) I wanted readers of The Cars You Always.... be happy they are both of the same quality.

Only a few weeks to go now before it's on the press. Two Capri books in a year, that will be that then for another 25 years.

More details on it here BTW. https://www.stevesaxty.com/capri50-details

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Capri artwork

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looking forward to this one sir . Will it be ready for me to take away in August ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 pm Looking forward to this one sir . Will it be ready for me to take away in August ?
Yup - it should be on the presses in 2-3 weeks I would think.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Steve,

I really love the artwork on both these mate. Stunning !! You have done a great job along with your artist who drew them up for you. I can't wait to see them for real. Both pieces of artwork will look even better when they become an actual real life cover/slipcase. You must be very chuffed with how its all come together Steve and very excited now its nearing going to press !! I certainly am for sure. This is gonna be one very special Capri book and I for one cant wait. I will be keeping an eye out for the email to pre-order my copy of the Collectors Steve....hopefully I will get number 112 :) or Jason might get it again :lol:

All the best Steve and hope all goes off to plan and I hope you enjoy your retirement mate...or have you got plans to do a THIRD book based purely on "The Pinto...The Engine You Always Promised Yourself" :wave: :lol:

Cheers,

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

Glad you like it. My slight disappointment was that people voted to have the optional poster feature the profile cars with the rather lovely timeline on the second side. I'd secretly hoped that people would want the cover art - maybe I'll also get them done as posters as I'd love to have these myself!

The publisher should sort out the preorder link soon. They are likely to do a preorder special price for those that have The Cars You Always... which is a smart move. Then, when the bundled set of two comes along everyone is happy.

I'm done writing books after this and going back to my day job. It's way too much fun, but sadly there's only losses to be made in writing a book these days but I'm not complaining. It's been a blast though and then, genie-like, I shall disappear at the end of the year!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

The artwork on this is just that Steve, Art. He's a very talented illustrator & has captured not only the subject matter but the dynamic way the cars are presented look like they're about to jump off the page. You can see how much time has gone into the book itself, you may be leaving book writing after this but what a legacy to leave. If the artwork were to appear on the popular steel garage signs, I can see them hanging in many a garage, Capri owner or not.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 pm The artwork on this is just that Steve, Art. He's a very talented illustrator & has captured not only the subject matter but the dynamic way the cars are presented look like they're about to jump off the page. You can see how much time has gone into the book itself, you may be leaving book writing after this but what a legacy to leave. If the artwork were to appear on the popular steel garage signs, I can see them hanging in many a garage, Capri owner or not.
Thank you. Yes, he's certainly talented. So much so I've even had discussion with Ford about using the artwork. I'm meticulous, and so is my designer and TBH I really have enjoyed working with the artist in Paris. I hope that together boys books will be a legacy worth leaving for every Capri enthusiast. Mu hope is that, assuming they can afford £24.95, then they will like it as much as the first book The Cars You Always... which will be offered as a best-value bundle of the two books for £54.95 as it begins to sell out.

I'm still a bit bummed though people wanted the poster to feature the side profiles and not the cover art!