Ford Bridgend

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Ford Bridgend

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Very sad news, especially those who have worked there :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-48533790
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Ford Bridgend

Post by Jasonmarie »

Can’t believe that so Dagenham engine plant will be the only ford place in the U.K. . My grandad was asked to work there back in the 70s and he did not go because of family also he had a golf cart to take him around the Dagenham plant as it was that big . I wonder what our Steve thinks of this as they were talking about Duxford shutting as well ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I fear it won't be the last European Ford factory to be closed unfortunately. Ford USA have said that they are stopping building all cars and just concentrating on the pick up trucks which is their most profitable market area so I expect it will follow that other factories will get the chop and they will have a smaller range of cars to sell in Europe.

Sad times when you think of what things used to be.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 pm Can’t believe that so Dagenham engine plant will be the only ford place in the U.K. . My grandad was asked to work there back in the 70s and he did not go because of family also he had a golf cart to take him around the Dagenham plant as it was that big . I wonder what our Steve thinks of this as they were talking about Duxford shutting as well ?
I think you mean Dunton closing Jason, not Duxford which is the aircraft museum.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Paul G wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 pm Can’t believe that so Dagenham engine plant will be the only ford place in the U.K. . My grandad was asked to work there back in the 70s and he did not go because of family also he had a golf cart to take him around the Dagenham plant as it was that big . I wonder what our Steve thinks of this as they were talking about Duxford shutting as well ?
I think you mean Dunton closing Jason, not Duxford which is the aircraft museum.

from a selfish personal point of view I sure hope you are right Paul :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That is funny as I was talking today about the spitfires to my dad and after talking with peter the other week about going up to duxford and I put duxford , it was a test and the winner was Paul G . :lol:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Very Sad indeed. Follows Halewood, Dagenham and Southampton. Germany and the rest of the world win again. Terrible news for workers and families and those support service let alone the local council who rely on council tax. I know people will lose jobs when Honda go but the sooner Honda and Nissan piss off the better. IMO
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 pm That is funny as I was talking today about the spitfires to my dad and after talking with peter the other week about going up to duxford and I put duxford , it was a test and the winner was Paul G . :lol:
Phew, crisis averted. I mean, I was at Duxford only yesterday and they never mentioned anything :xd:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Peter-S wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:50 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 pm That is funny as I was talking today about the spitfires to my dad and after talking with peter the other week about going up to duxford and I put duxford , it was a test and the winner was Paul G . :lol:
Phew, crisis averted. I mean, I was at Duxford only yesterday and they never mentioned anything :xd:
I thought you was I bet you see some great planes did they lay on anything there to do with the 75 years of D Day ?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:28 pm
I thought you was I bet you see some great planes did they lay on anything there to do with the 75 years of D Day ?
Jason if you saw any Dakotas on the news flying over France and doing para drops they all started at Dunton, sorry, Duxford ;)
There were 23 on the ground over the couple of days many of which did display and 21 took off to fly to France together on Wednesday.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:28 pm

Jason if you saw any Dakotas on the news flying over France and doing para drops they all started at Dunton, sorry, Duxford ;)
There were 23 on the ground over the couple of days many of which did display and 21 took off to fly to France together on Wednesday.
Peter, did you watch Guy Martin D Day programme a few days ago ?

As with everything he does on T/V it was very good.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

andyd wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Yes Andy, great watch.
Shame the Dak wasn't ready in time but when they said at the start they had 9 months to finish it I didn't fancy their chances but it should be good when done. I think the plan is to base it at Membury where the borrowed Dak took off from in the programme.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes did see them I bet that was fantastic to see , I watch a lot on the telly and I know Paul and Andy did as well but found some of the d day men story’s moving . Glad you had a good time peter
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:22 pm
andyd wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Yes Andy, great watch.
Shame the Dak wasn't ready in time but when they said at the start they had 9 months to finish it I didn't fancy their chances but it should be good when done. I think the plan is to base it at Membury where the borrowed Dak took off from in the programme.
:cool:
Not seen a programme of his yet which hasn't been interesting.
He certainly pushes himself to the limits, hope he doesn't come to any harm motorcycle racing as that would be a real shame.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:22 pm Shame the Dak wasn't ready in time
Oh bollocks !!! I am halfway through watching this tonight on the tlvo and turned it off to help with the dishes. Came on here for a quick scoot and now I know the plane does not get finished in time....Thanks Peter :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 pm
Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:22 pm Shame the Dak wasn't ready in time
Oh bollocks !!! I am halfway through watching this tonight on the tlvo and turned it off to help with the dishes. Came on here for a quick scoot and now I know the plane does not get finished in time....Thanks Peter :lol: :lol: :lol:
Multi tasking Nick. Not worth the effort :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm Multi tasking Nick. Not worth the effort :xd:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Hope you used fairy liquid Nick don’t want your hands rubbing the leather of your steering wheel :lol: I was going to say gear Knob but thought I would save that for somebody else :lol:

This must be a record for us lot going from Bridgend to washing up with d day ,& Duxford in there .