heard it all now....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: heard it all now....

Post by andyd »

ollyw wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:32 am I would say my biggest pet hate is “I was like...”. It is absolutely everywhere. I’ve noticed if you chew gum you are particularly prone to it.

Example being “Tanyaaaaahhh kissed my boyfriend, I was like well angry..” etc

I’ve noticed the beeb news online quoting people who say it, hardly helps to educate the nation. I didn’t get an A in English but this says to me who’s illiterate. :speakenglish:

You weren’t like anything. You were angry!

As for the bands, now you sound like old farts!
Like is now used as a comma or a 'filler' to give time to think ahead of the next word. Really annoying!!

Old Fart is ok with me :wave:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

As another old fart I go along with most of the above :)

We had a girl in my office a few years ago who, when relating stories, would say "so I turned round and said ... " (sorry about the ellipsis!)
She must have been dizzy from the number of times she turn around in a conversation with her mates.

And another recent stupid phrase: "My Bad". Oh dear!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:09 am "so I turned round and said ... " (sorry about the ellipsis!)
That use is correct, full marks Peter :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 am
Peter-S wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:09 am "so I turned round and said ... " (sorry about the ellipsis!)
That use is correct, full marks Peter :)
Decode this Paul :D
..-. --- .-. -.. / -.-. .- .--. .-. .. .----. ... / .- .-. . / --. .-. . .- -
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 pm
Ford Capri's Are Great :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:08 pm
andyd wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 pm
PMSL :xd: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://morsecode.scphillips.com/translator.html :wave:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Whoa , wait just one cotton-pickin` minute! All the argey-bargey about ellipsis, aposiopesis dots here dots there - and look - an apostrophe in the plural form of a noun!!! I`m... speechless. :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm
Whoa , wait just one cotton-pickin` minute! All the argey-bargey about ellipsis, aposiopesis dots here dots there - and look - an apostrophe in the plural form of a noun!!! I`m... speechless. :D
:sorry: That was my mistake putting the apostrophe in.

Punctuation was never a strong point :oops:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Alright, look you seem like a nice guy so, you know, we`ll just pretend it never happened. This time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Tell you what I`ve learnt something, I had NO idea they had punctuation in morse, never occurred to me. See, you live you learn, thanks! )
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Just accidentally watched a bit of Judge Rinder and a woman is accusing another woman of defamation because she`s `literally destroyed me` on facebook.
Incidentally, does anyone know what is the purpose of this program? I mean, typically, A lent B £1000, B has fallen on hard times and can`t pay, Judgement favours A and awards him £1000. B is still skint, still can`t pay so what IS the point? JR can`t send him to Debtor`s prison or whatever and you can`t get blood out of a stone so, it`s just completely futile. People taking their own family to court just to get on TV. Bah, humbug!
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm Alright, look you seem like a nice guy so, you know, we`ll just pretend it never happened. This time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jolly nice of you to say so old bean :)

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm
(Tell you what I`ve learnt something, I had NO idea they had punctuation in morse, never occurred to me. See, you live you learn, thanks! )
:cheers:
stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:25 pm Just accidentally watched a bit of Judge Rinder
My respect for admitting to that :lol:

Crap just like Jeremy Kyle was and most other daytime programmes. As you say, anything to get on T/V :roll:
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:09 am
We had a girl in my office a few years ago who, when relating stories, would say "so I turned round and said ... " (sorry about the ellipsis!)
She must have been dizzy from the number of times she turn around in a conversation with her mates.
:lol: haha! I knew someone who spoke that way , I told her to stop turning round so much or she’d fall over.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm - and look - an apostrophe in the plural form of a noun!!! I`m... speechless. :D
As a chap who will perhaps 'appreciate' this one I've just been reading a letter to a client from Head of Operations at Teachers' Pensions that twice says:
"If you've got any queries"

Clearly a grasp of grammar was not a pre-requisite for this post!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

TBH Peter I had to think about that myself - it`s in such common usage you don`t really notice it. I suppose you could argue that that`s how language evolves. It`s still wrong though.
Come to think of it, I remember when my `sort of adopted son` was at primary school, a teacher `corrected` his spelling of cupboard. She removed the P.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am I've just been reading a letter to a client from Head of Operations at Teachers' Pensions that twice says:
I usually receive e-mails with comments such as "If you've got any queries, please direct them to myself"....

Andrew.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

What about 'when'?
Since when did we start a sentence with when?
Example:
" I went to the fridge but I'd run out of beer"
"WHEN you go to the fridge and you've run out of beer"
Don't get me started on the % 110 :speakenglish:
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

I take it you're all fans of the only way is Essex and that garbage then? Haha
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Peter-S wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am
stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm - and look - an apostrophe in the plural form of a noun!!! I`m... speechless. :D
As a chap who will perhaps 'appreciate' this one I've just been reading a letter to a client from Head of Operations at Teachers' Pensions that twice says:

Are you still allowed to say "queries"? I'm surprised the PC band hasn't banned it and made it law to say "have you got any questions" instead.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Paul G wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 am

Are you still allowed to say "queries"? I'm surprised the PC band hasn't banned it and made it law to say "have you got any questions" instead.
Only time Paul. I see that Fireman Sam has been banned from Brigade promo material for being too male so ... :roll:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 am
Paul G wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 am

Only time Paul. I see that Fireman Sam has been banned from Brigade promo material for being too male so ... :roll:
It's all PC b*****ks! You can't force anyone into a job they don't want to do.

Maybe women don't want to be in the fire service as much as men don't want to do nail extensions.

Now a version of Monopoly that lets women win more money :swear: That's not equality!!

A handfull of do gooders and 1000s have to adjust to accept their opinions :doh: