Editing Posts

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Editing Posts

Post by pbar »

Will the proper Edit option return at some point please? It seems to disappear a few minutes after posting.

You can of course delete a post then retype it, but it's easier to edit if you spot a spelling mistake etc. just after you have posted it.

I can understand it not being there after a reply has been received, but it goes when no other posts have been made.

Thanks.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Editing Posts

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 am Will the proper Edit option return at some point please? It seems to disappear a few minutes after posting.

You can of course delete a post then retype it, but it's easier to edit if you spot a spelling mistake etc. just after you have posted it.

I can understand it not being there after a reply has been received, but it goes when no other posts have been made.

Thanks.
Seconded, as Paul said, once post has been replied to it's different. Don't know if its possible but it was a handy feature.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 am Will the proper Edit option return at some point please? It seems to disappear a few minutes after posting.

Thanks.
Sadly this is a can't keep everybody happy issue. In the past it was possible to edit an original post even after a reply was made. This was not an issue where quotes were made as the original post was still clear but a reply that did not quote could be misinterpreted if the original poster changed their post. This has happened and we have had requests to restrict the amount of time available to change or correct a post. Currently the time limit is set at 30 minutes which does not seem unreasonable although we are prepared to consider changing it if enough users really see a benefit.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I understand why this has been done and I'm more used to it now, even better that it's a 30 minute limit than the 15 a while ago.
Getting spelling and facts correct in the first place is more essential :)

When compiling names for events for example, having to copy and paste rather than edit original post is a little strange but I can live with it :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Admin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:05 pm Currently the time limit is set at 30 minutes which does not seem unreasonable although we are prepared to consider changing it if enough users really see a benefit.
:agree: Keep it how it is now. It's not the end of the world if we have to take a few seconds to review a post before submitting it.
Although it was a nice feature to edit posts to correct spelling errors, I think it is more important to restrict editing to maintain the context of conversations.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:05 pm Currently the time limit is set at 30 minutes which does not seem unreasonable although we are prepared to consider changing it if enough users really see a benefit.
:agree: Keep it how it is now. It's not the end of the world if we have to take a few seconds to review a post before submitting it.
Although it was a nice feature to edit posts to correct spelling errors, I think it is more important to restrict editing to maintain the context of conversations.

Andrew.
:agree:
Ultimately I don't think its the end of the world if there are some grammatical/spelling errors and would much rather keep the context of posts after there has been a reply.
Worst case you could always post again anyway :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I vote to increase the 30 mins to an hour (I'm slowing down with age :) ) I think that to be a happy medium.

But I shall bow to democracy.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm I vote to increase the 30 mins to an hour (I'm slowing down with age :) ) I think that to be a happy medium.

Let's all vote on it then ignore the outcome, and in 3 years time demand another! Wait a minute, that sounds familier :whistle: :wave:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:52 pm
pbar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm I vote to increase the 30 mins to an hour (I'm slowing down with age :) ) I think that to be a happy medium.

Let's all vote on it then ignore the outcome, and in 3 years time demand another! Wait a minute, that sounds familier :whistle: :wave:
It's a good job goverment's don't behave like that.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 pm

They wouldn't be allowed to Paul :roll:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 pm
pbar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 pm

They wouldn't be allowed to Paul :roll:
I don’t want this issue to be debated every time the news is on for the next 3 years either. I vote Postit, please leave as is :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Admin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:05 pm This has happened and we have had requests to restrict the amount of time available to change or correct a post.
I'm happy with whatever you decide Peter. and thank you for your reply and info.

I do have some experience as regards forum admin/mod, but the option to restrict the amount of time to edit is a new one on me.

What a clever idea though, makes you think that developers actually know what they are doing!

(By the way, it isn't particularly spelling, etc with me. very often I would think of something to add, which was the case on a recent Pinto Exhaust thread I replied to, often this happens just after 30 mins, probably 31 minutes, but before 59 :) )

Thanks again.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I vote for free hob knobs and tea after 31 mins also spelling my iPad changes the word before I notice then sit there asking the wife how to spell something and the time limit is over .

Edit can I change Hob Knobs to chocolate biscuits please :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: