posted in error

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

posted in error

Postby stevemarl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:32 am

m

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5387
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: posted in error

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am

I wish the people who decide the rules we have to live by would live in the real world.

Are they wanting us to not go in work then until the car is fixed? Or leave it indefinitely at the garage until they can book it in to fix it even though they may have no room for it? Or go into debt because the repairs have to be done before pay day?

I suppose the solution would be to book a pre-MOT test at the garage which would be off record. Then do the work and book it in again for the actual test.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2306
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: posted in error

Postby Jasonmarie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:02 am

stevemarl wrote:m


I thought M was in James Bond films did not know he did MOTs

Looks like you answer the question Paul then the question has gone and not knowing the question :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5387
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: posted in error

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am

Strange thing is Jason, editing posts after a reply has been posted was mentioned in another thread recently too.

Steve was saying that the rules have now been defined - as regards to not driving a car with an MOT failure, even though it hasn't yet expired.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2306
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: posted in error

Postby Jasonmarie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 am

O got it yes it strange why the post was removed I did see the other post but thought I would stay away .
Yes seems like a strange rule where the garage can fail the car on Say the brakes and they have to fix them . I am lucky as Tickover does my Capri but the my other car is in the hands of another garage .

Almost like the garages wrote the MOT rules out .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: posted in error

Postby stevemarl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 am

Sorry Paul - you were too quick for me..... :xd:

I posted this item about the MOT ; basically it said DVSA had stated that once MOT had been failed, car was illegal even if current MOT valid. Then I read further down the article and this decision had been reversed! So I deleted the post. Seems we`re still OK unless it`s a dangerous fault. Soorry for any confusion.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/news/c ... t-expired/

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5387
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: posted in error

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 pm

At some point, the following line as stated in that report probably will be the case though -

But now the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has updated its guidelines, saying: “You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out.

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: posted in error

Postby stevemarl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Yep, I agree, that`s exactly why when I read it I assumed it to actually BE the case.... it`ll come.
When do the shows start Paul? We`re in marathon lock-down this weekend....

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5387
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: posted in error

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:48 pm

stevemarl wrote:Yep, I agree, that`s exactly why when I read it I assumed it to actually BE the case.... it`ll come.
When do the shows start Paul? We`re in marathon lock-down this weekend....


Later this month :) Will send details soon.

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: posted in error

Postby stevemarl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Ta!

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: posted in error

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:I thought M was in James Bond films did not know he did MOTs


He also had a 1979 hit with "Pop Muzik" too..... :lol:

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4294
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: posted in error

Postby Fordoholic Nick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 pm

stevemarl wrote:Ta!


T A ???

Is this another edited post Steve.... :lol: .... :sorry: ... :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: posted in error

Postby stevemarl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:08 pm

No it`s just northern speak Nick :D It`s like another country up here.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2306
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: posted in error

Postby Jasonmarie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 pm

T A that’s what you join when you leave the Army ?

That was a song as well Andrew :lol:
https://youtu.be/ea4TVg0_8Dk
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: posted in error

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 am

Hi All,
Back to the subject in hand.....
Have I got this right?
If the old MOT has not expired, the failed vehicle can be driven home from the test, unless the reason for failure has been deemed dangerous. The way I read it, the car cannot then continue to be used until the reason(s) for failure have been fixed. This judgement allows you to repair the car at home and does not restrict you to having the car fixed at the testing station. However, the car cannot be driven again on the road until it's being driven to a pre-booked retest, even if there is time left on the old MOT.
If the reason for failure is a "dangerous" fault, the car can only be left at the testing station for repair or it has to be transported away.

It's probably best not to flout the rules, as the DVLA computer appears to be updated in real time. I noticed this when I took mine for it's last MOT. In the 10 minutes it took me to drive home and put the car back in the garage, the DVLA website had been updated to reflect the latest pass.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5840
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: posted in error

Postby andyd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:25 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi All,
Back to the subject in hand.....
Have I got this right?
If the old MOT has not expired, the failed vehicle can be driven home from the test, unless the reason for failure has been deemed dangerous. The way I read it, the car cannot then continue to be used until the reason(s) for failure have been fixed. This judgement allows you to repair the car at home and does not restrict you to having the car fixed at the testing station. However, the car cannot be driven again on the road until it's being driven to a pre-booked retest, even if there is time left on the old MOT.
If the reason for failure is a "dangerous" fault, the car can only be left at the testing station for repair or it has to be transported away.

It's probably best not to flout the rules, as the DVLA computer appears to be updated in real time. I noticed this when I took mine for it's last MOT. In the 10 minutes it took me to drive home and put the car back in the garage, the DVLA website had been updated to reflect the latest pass.

Andrew.

That sounds like it to me Andrew.

I can see this sort of thing will deter some owners of MOT exempt cars etc from having them tested....

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: posted in error

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 am

andyd wrote:I can see this sort of thing will deter some owners of MOT exempt cars etc from having them tested....

From my experience, a low percentage of owners of MOT exempt cars appear to be having them tested now anyway.
I've done a bit of research, albeit limited, on this. Just over a year ago I went to a car show. I think this was around the same time that the 40 year exemption came into operation. I've checked the details of all the exempt cars that went to the show to see how many owners have taken them for an MOT in the last year.
At the show there were 148 cars that were registered in 1978 or earlier. Only 62 of those have been for an MOT in the last year. OK, my research is only a small sample of cars and there may be other factors involved in why the other 86 cars do not have a current MOT certificate. However, I think the results are a bit of an eye-opener..... :shock:

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5387
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: posted in error

Postby pbar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 am

I think I'd rather just take my car to the garage for a pre-MOT check (whether exempt or not). They will say if anything needs doing and it will all be off record. You can fix it then have the proper test and a pass, if required.

You are paying twice but it is a solution to any failed MOT scenarios.

For exempt cars, why would anyone have a proper MOT test? Just have a pre-check instead, it would be the same thing but no failure records.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5840
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: posted in error

Postby andyd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:26 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I can see this sort of thing will deter some owners of MOT exempt cars etc from having them tested....

From my experience, a low percentage of owners of MOT exempt cars appear to be having them tested now anyway.
I've done a bit of research, albeit limited, on this. Just over a year ago I went to a car show. I think this was around the same time that the 40 year exemption came into operation. I've checked the details of all the exempt cars that went to the show to see how many owners have taken them for an MOT in the last year.
At the show there were 148 cars that were registered in 1978 or earlier. Only 62 of those have been for an MOT in the last year. OK, my research is only a small sample of cars and there may be other factors involved in why the other 86 cars do not have a current MOT certificate. However, I think the results are a bit of an eye-opener..... :shock:

Andrew.

Most people I have spoken to say that they would still have a test, so that is a bit of a surprise Andrew.
pbar wrote:I think I'd rather just take my car to the garage for a pre-MOT check (whether exempt or not). They will say if anything needs doing and it will all be off record. You can fix it then have the proper test and a pass, if required.

You are paying twice but it is a solution.

Definately an option Paul.

It depends on the tester anyway, as some are more strict than others and will advise rather than fail.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5387
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: posted in error

Postby pbar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:33 am

andyd wrote:others and will advise rather than fail.


Depends if you get a 'good' one or not ;)

Mine is lenient (i.e. uses real world common sense) with classic vehicles. I have a good relationship with them, but they do know that I will do any required jobs which they tell me to, as long as you keep up your side of the bargain by doing so then you will get the best out of the tester. Anything serious and they will fail it though of course.