diesel engine in a capri? discuss

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
rousecapri
Car(s): capri mk3 3lt ghia(long term project) land rover discovery daily driver 2lt mpi

diesel engine in a capri? discuss

Post by rousecapri »

as title says. modern diesel lump in a capri yes or no?
Bigger is better,there is no replacement for displacement
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Re: diesel engine in a capri? discuss

Post by STEVEW »

Why fit a modern diesel lump in a Capri?
At least, the original engines have genuine emissions. ;)
rousecapri
Car(s): capri mk3 3lt ghia(long term project) land rover discovery daily driver 2lt mpi

Post by rousecapri »

Easy 250bhp with 550nm+ with 40+mpg. You know it makes sense
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Saw a diesel in a Capri at East Kirkby a few years ago, think it was just a Ford lump.
Your call of course. Not my thing, I've stuck with petrol even in the daily but be interested to see what you come up with but wasn't it your tag that used to say no replacement for displacement?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
rousecapri

Post by rousecapri »

It was :). She will still be a 3lt :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

No thanks, Capri engines for Capri cars :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:No thanks, Capri engines for Capri cars :)
:agree:

Although a Rover or American V8 is also ok with me :D
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Cant see any reason why not so long as its a reasonable sized diesel. Are you thinking V6 ?
rousecapri

Post by rousecapri »

The BMW m57 3lt
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

From memory thats a straight 6 engine. A lovely engine but I'd fear it might compromise the handling as the weight of the front of the engine would be quite a bit further forward than the front suspension was intended to carry.

How about a V6 Mercedes diesel ?
rousecapri

Post by rousecapri »

The engine is going to be no further forward than the Essex that was in there. It's 40kg heavier but the gear box and bell housing is lighter than the four speed that was behind the Essex.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Not for me I’m afraid, it would shift in a straight line but I’m not sure how much fun it would be. My local BMW garage loaned me a 330d when my 5 Series was in for a recall, and whilst the torque was fun for a while the novelty soon wore off. It wasn’t a drivers car by any means. I’d be interested to try a 335d although I suspect it would be more of the same, just a bit quicker still.

If I were going to fit a modern engine in a Capri I’d go Ecoboost, 1.6 or 2.0. Probably actually the 1.6 as it’s nice and light, and there are loads of little Fiesta ST’s whizzing about with near to 300bhp.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Im guessing this is an engine you already own so want to use it, rather than looking for suggestions of what engine to buy ?
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

I thought about doing this a while ago for the same reasons as you, but never did anything about it, have a search on capripower I'm sure someone on there did the exact swap your talking about
Ratty as fuck
rousecapri

Post by rousecapri »

Yes I have the donor vehicle already.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

mjcapri wrote: It wasn’t a drivers car by any means. I’d be interested to try a 335d although I suspect it would be more of the same, just a bit quicker still.
My daily is a 335d X-drive touring shadow edition (thank goodness they don't write all that on the boot!)
For all the initial excitement about a diesel estate getting to 60 in 4.6 seconds, in fact it is the huge amount of torque that makes the car.
465 lbs/ft at only 1200rpm. It really is borderline scary at times.
The X-drive does make it a tad understeery but as a 'drivers car' ? Yes! Absolutely. I drive it in the same manner as I did my 2.8i and it responds well. Slow to the apex, then hammer down.
Forget 'quicker' think more 'grunt' and exiting a bend like an Exocet on steroids. After all, my lad's Fiesta will get him banned, as can most cars these days. It's the B-road runs that decide a good car for me.

However, the BMW is obviously built to take that straight 6, with all the suspension tweaks it needs.
I think a Capri would need a bit of lateral thinking to keep the balance right. Harder front? softer rear? Battery in the boot etc.

I would also want the 8-speed auto box. It is phenomenal and if you could also fit the flappy paddles it would be an awesome machine.
I think the electronics would be the big show stopper. That, and brakes that didn't just deploy a white flag.

No it's not purist, but then the Capri was a modders car from day 1. Why would you want to completely stop that tradition. It is part of the history of the car.

Would need a lot of research and even more money, but I would love to see that combo on the road.

Oh, and one final requirement................... with all that torque you would need to find someone that could design an axle that didn't resemble a cough candy twist after the first launch :)
rousecapri

Post by rousecapri »

I will start to post pictures up when I remember how to do it on here. The donor engine and box is out of the E46. I will be getting the immobilizer removed from the ECU, then getting it remapped (250bhp and 550nm) also there is a plug and play loom to get the m57 to run on the floor, this will then be adapted as req. Hopefully looking to start this week or if not it will be next week fingers crossed