Autocar rendering of a new Capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Post Reply
User avatar
Steve Saxty
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:15 am
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by Steve Saxty » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Look, I like Steve Cropley and have known him for decades. We exchanged emails over Xmas when he was doing his Capri piece then. He has my book, and helped with a few quotes. But this, non, niete, no, no...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... ford-capri

Image

mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm
Car(s): Diamond White Mk3 Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey (obviously) Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by mjcapri » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:24 pm

It looks like the byproduct of a three way liaison between a Capri, an Audi A7 and a BMW X6!

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6592
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by Peter-S » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 pm

So when many owners lower their Capris the new design makes it 6 inches higher and plonks it on 20" wheels. So safety or whatever might be the reasoning but do they not understand what the appeal of the original was. Oh dear!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by andyd » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 am

Peter-S wrote:So when many owners lower their Capris the new design makes it 6 inches higher and plonks it on 20" wheels. So safety or whatever might be the reasoning but do they not understand what the appeal of the original was. Oh dear!
:agree: Everything is so high now.
On Saturday I saw a 60's Mustang following a modern car, and it looked tiny in comparison due to how low it is, as is the Capri compared to a new Fiesta/Focus etc. Just googled it, and my Capri is 51 inches in height and our Focus is just under 58 inches so quite a difference.

What you forget after years of not driving them, is that you have to get down into a Capri rather than climb into a newer car.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5566
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by pbar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 am

I stand by everything I said in another recent post about why we shouldn't have a new Capri!

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5566
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by pbar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:30 am

andyd wrote:Everything is so high now.
So true Andy. I was thinking this just the other day, trying to cross the road with parked cars parked up, I just couldn't see over them to see if the road was clear to cross.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by andyd » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 am

pbar wrote:I stand by everything I said in another recent post about why we shouldn't have a new Capri!
So what you mean is leave perfection alone :D :cheers:

Although not everyones favorite most people seem to love the Capri, and it's pretty unmistakeable.
My Sierra again smaller in comparison, would blend in a little more with modern cars and often only true car fans would notice it.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2641
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by Jasonmarie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pm

The wheels look really wrong I would say the body was a really great idea but after a large G&T the wheels went wrong .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Mr B
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 am
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by Mr B » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Steve Saxty wrote:Look, I like Steve Cropley and have known him for decades. We exchanged emails over Xmas when he was doing his Capri piece then. He has my book, and helped with a few quotes. But this, non, niete, no, no...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... ford-capri

Image
Wow! It's almost as horrid as a Tickford to look at .. Almost!

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by andyd » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Mr B wrote:
Steve Saxty wrote:Look, I like Steve Cropley and have known him for decades. We exchanged emails over Xmas when he was doing his Capri piece then. He has my book, and helped with a few quotes. But this, non, niete, no, no...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... ford-capri

Image
Wow! It's almost as horrid as a Tickford to look at .. Almost!
:lol:

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1793
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by sheff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:52 am

Jasonmarie wrote:The wheels look really wrong I would say the body was a really great idea but after a large G&T the wheels went wrong .
Has no one noticed the orange tyres?

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983, early 5 speed. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by Not_Anumber » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:38 pm

those wheels look too tyred to Tango

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12332
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Autocar rendering of a new Capri

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am

sheff wrote: Has no one noticed the orange tyres?
Hard to miss....
I suppose the tyre manufacturers manufacture the rubber any colour they like easily enough. The way I see it, Steve Cropley might be suggesting that it may become fashionable in future years to have tyres in a different colour than the black we're used to seeing. I can't see that catching on, although I'm not known for my fashion sense, so I might be wrong..... :)

Andrew.
Image

Post Reply