Classic ford magazine

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Post Reply
User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Classic ford magazine

Post by Jasonmarie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Spotted this in this months classic ford magazine also mention to our Steve’s book .
Image
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Pas28i
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:51 pm
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Pas28i » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Great design effort, very talented!

Would be an interesting competition for everyone to show their ideas.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5562
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by pbar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 pm

The problem is, the ethos, mindset and nounce which the Capri had, and which the designers gave it, just does not apply today.

It was the car for the everyman to have something special, a bit different, an image to show he thinks differently, to take risks, have fun, the chance for the average guy to be affordably flash.

The car stood apart in the crowd. People were impressed, and still are as they mouth 'Ford Capri!' and point as we drive past them. That doesn't even happen to modern day Ferrari drivers, so no new Capri will have what the legend still has.

Just like when your favourite group makes a comeback after years away and there's something missing, or they make a big movie version of your favourite classic TV show and it's not as good - I'd rather they just left it alone.

Mr B
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 am
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Mr B » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 pm

pbar wrote:The problem is, the ethos, mindset and nounce which the Capri had, and which the designers gave it, just does not apply today.

It was the car for the everyman to have something special, a bit different, an image to show he thinks differently, to take risks, have fun, the chance for the average guy to be affordably flash.

The car stood apart in the crowd. People were impressed, and still are as they mouth 'Ford Capri!' and point as we drive past them. That doesn't even happen to modern day Ferrari drivers, so no new Capri will have what the legend still has.

Just like when your favourite group makes a comeback after years away and there's something missing, or they make a big movie version of your favourite classic TV show and it's not as good - I'd rather they just left it alone.
Totally agree with you, I use my Capri everyday for work and the amount of look's she gets considering she is a bit tatty are unreal, it does not matter what brand new car's are near by its my Capri that gets the look's and comments like 'now that's a proper car' or 'I knew she was 3 litre she sounds full of vengeance' those comments make it all worth it and I really don't think Ford will ever recreate that kind of car again.

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 pm

Yep agree. It's of its time and too much time has passed to force an evolution.

Nice feature on a Fiesta 1300S this month.

User avatar
Steve Saxty
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:15 am
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Steve Saxty » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 am

It looked like a generic modern car to me but hey, ho. Autocar had a more spirited go over Xmas. The well-known journalist there, Steve Cropley saw a Capri as a slinky all-active SUV-coupe. I exchanged a few emails with him over it later and said that I think, as some said here, made drivers feel special - indeed the tagline of The Car You Always Promised yourself was perfect.

Bonus points then for those that have the book what the first draft of that tagline was?....

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12332
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:47 pm

Steve Saxty wrote:Bonus points then for those that have the book what the first draft of that tagline was?....
I think it's the not quite as catchy "The kind of car you'd always promised yourself if you could afford it". :D

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Steve Saxty
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:15 am
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Steve Saxty » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Steve Saxty wrote:Bonus points then for those that have the book what the first draft of that tagline was?....
I think it's the not quite as catchy "The kind of car you'd always promised yourself if you could afford it". :D

Andrew.
Give that man a prize for having trudged through the book! The original copywriter lives near me and, for those that have the book, you must love that pic of the GBX-windowed prototype. He's got his parents and flatmate standing in for Jackie Stewart and his parents in the test ad. That shot had never been seen before and so I was amazed when he dug it out.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by andyd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Mr B wrote:
pbar wrote:The problem is, the ethos, mindset and nounce which the Capri had, and which the designers gave it, just does not apply today.

It was the car for the everyman to have something special, a bit different, an image to show he thinks differently, to take risks, have fun, the chance for the average guy to be affordably flash.

The car stood apart in the crowd. People were impressed, and still are as they mouth 'Ford Capri!' and point as we drive past them. That doesn't even happen to modern day Ferrari drivers, so no new Capri will have what the legend still has.

Just like when your favourite group makes a comeback after years away and there's something missing, or they make a big movie version of your favourite classic TV show and it's not as good - I'd rather they just left it alone.
Totally agree with you, I use my Capri everyday for work and the amount of look's she gets considering she is a bit tatty are unreal, it does not matter what brand new car's are near by its my Capri that gets the look's and comments like 'now that's a proper car' or 'I knew she was 3 litre she sounds full of vengeance' those comments make it all worth it and I really don't think Ford will ever recreate that kind of car again.
:agree: Always nice when your car gets a compliment.
Most recently "That's gorgeous" from the woman behind the counter in the Esso petrol station :)

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Jasonmarie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 pm

What she was eating a Grinstead pasty :lol: ?

Sorry could not help that one Andy
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by andyd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:What she was eating a Grinstead pasty :lol: ?

Sorry could not help that one Andy
:poke: :wave:

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Fordoholic Nick » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 pm

andyd wrote: Most recently "That's gorgeous" from the woman behind the counter in the Esso petrol station :)
What was the other person counting Andy ?? :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

Post Reply