Classic Ford TV ads

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Classic Ford TV ads

Post by Steve Saxty »

I’ve just lost 15 minutes of my life watching these Ford TV ads made by ad agency Ogilvy & Mather. They were given to me by Terry Holben who directed Ford’s ads for 22 years and wrote about the experience in my book. Take a look at them here as Ford pitched us RS, Capri, Cortina, Sierra, Granada and Fiesta.
https://www.stevesaxty.com/videos?wix-v ... -jt78hb4z#

Fun back story – the first with Peter Duncan of Blue Peter fame was insured by Terry Holben’s dash to the hospital for the birth of his first child.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Classic Ford TV ads

Post by Jasonmarie »

That was good in your book and now seeing the videos they were talking about , they made great adverts ones you remember . Now it’s allabout what the car is made of and when you smash it up how they can recycle the car . Or one doing the rounds is about how good the radio sounds when taking your kids to school.
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thanks for that Steve. Trouble is, you cost me more than 15 mins as I then started watching Sierra touring cars with Rouse & Soper battling for supremacy. Epic stuff :D
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

I have to be honest I had no idea what a hit they would be. I stuck them on Facebook and 1,000 people looked this morning. Terry Holden who produced them is the nicest guy. We had so much fun writing up his experiences and then laying them out in the book with all the original fonts. Perhaps more charmingly one of his best friends is Derek Price who worked at the agency (called Allan Burrows) that did the brochures. Derek helped with the descriptions for the brochure bits in TCYAPY but I realized that I should do more of them in the second book I'm working on again this weekend.

These old boys loved their cars. Terry and his writing partner ran Ferraris as company cars and Peter sold his 250 Lusso recently but still keeps his RS500 that was used in the ads mocked up to look like a race car.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Steve Saxty wrote:I’ve just lost 15 minutes of my life watching these Ford TV ads made by ad agency Ogilvy & Mather. They were given to me by Terry Holben who directed Ford’s ads for 22 years and wrote about the experience in my book. Take a look at them here as Ford pitched us RS, Capri, Cortina, Sierra, Granada and Fiesta.
https://www.stevesaxty.com/videos?wix-v ... -jt78hb4z#

Fun back story – the first with Peter Duncan of Blue Peter fame was insured by Terry Holben’s dash to the hospital for the birth of his first child.
Cool ads. Alongside Peter Duncan in that Fiesta I think is Sarah Neville who stared in a Anti Establishment episode of The Professionals called No Stone. Bit of a link with the Capri.