Help Steve with the Anniversary Edition of the book!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Help Steve with the Anniversary Edition of the book!

Post by Steve Saxty »

This is a little scoop for this forum. TBH I speak to thousands on Facebook but the reality is that there's better-informed dialogue on these pages. Now I'm likely a little naive to assume that everyone here has a copy of my book but I'd like to think so. It took me two years to write it vs six weeks for the one 22 years ago. There's a reason, it's six times larger and full colour yet only twice the price.

But I'm also aware there are some that want "just a Capri book" which The Cars You Always Promised Yourself isn't - it's merely 70% Capri! So, as I've hinted before, I'm working on an Anniversary Edition that adds a second book alongside the first as a set. Existing buyers, and that's a lot of you here, can buy the second book to complete the set - nobody gets left out.

If you have the Collector's Edition then this photo will look eerily familiar. This is my computer this morning with a draft of all-new illustrations that I am having drawn in the same style as the Collectors Ed. I know people love them in the books and the accompanying poster. They cost many thousands of pounds to commission but I'm only doing this once and then that's it and so I want to have something very special for the car's fiftieth.

I've done much of the 69 Capri, Capri II and now writing up the Capri Mark III sections. They will (like the Coll Ed) be the accompanying text that goes under the featured car. Each version will have "The Design Brief" which is a summary of what Ford's brief was for the new version, and then the study cars follow, including their interiors - something I barely had space for.

I'll post more details later but first I'm looking for some help....

I'm looking for three expert readers to review some of the material and help check it for me. I'll happily give you a free copy in return but the key thing is that you should want to help, not to get a freebie!

If you like the idea of being involved in this book then PM me or email [email protected] and tell me why you're an expert, or at least why you think you can help. I can really only work with a few people so don't be too disappointed if I say thank but the roles are filled. I need to get cracking on this so feel free to reply ASAP!

Thanks, Steve

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Help Steve with the Anniversary Edition of the book!

Post by Jasonmarie »

First love the sound of this book as it will go along with questions on your last book , as a expert I am not . i learnt so much reading your first book and then last year with your 2nd book Steve what was with other Fords but I really did enjoy reading both I am swapping my copy with young nicks copy as I have the famous 112 and it really belongs with B112 or nicks Capri . So was going to re read at a slower speed when we swap books ,as I do this with clock and watches books . I do use a high lighter so I can find information on settings or movements and dates when things did change.
I know young Andrew is in to his books the same as me ( also Eastenders :lol: )
So yes I can’t wait for this new book , I do have a 1860s clock that needs fixing and two pocket watches that need urgent help also a large marble clock that would fit out a kitchen in marble , but needs a full service .
Also any dry day them trips out in the Capri . So yes if your stuck then I do not mind but put me on the list as your first customer that wants special fast deliver also August would be great for Hoilday as my wife and daughter just shop all the time .
I could sit back in the chair with a cup of tea and learn more from your mind of that :ford: badge we all love .

Ps you did work for Porsche so a book on the 1997 PORSCHE 993 TURBO with the S body kit would be great as well just thinking ahead .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Jasonmarie wrote: Ps you did work for Porsche so a book on the 1997 PORSCHE 993 TURBO with the S body kit would be great as well just thinking ahead .
Could you be a little bit more specific please Jason :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

My soon to be ex neighbour has a Porsche or two and I know steve worked for them . As we was talking about Steve’s latest book over xmas he said they don’t do anything in such detail on the Porsche .
A quick funny story was he has a GT3 must be a year old now and his wife come out thinking he had pulled in the drive but it was me in the Capri . As we was talking he pulled up and his wife said I thought it was you early . :lol:

I said that’s 1-0 to me as a 2.0 Capri sounds like a new GT3 911 :lol: :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Steve Saxty wrote: I speak to thousands on Facebook but the reality is that there's better-informed dialogue on these pages.
That is a welcome observation, and an endorsement of the often unfashionable argument that social media like facebook and twitter are not the be-all and end-all of internet based discourse!
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

Any other takers for a read-through? I have one more place for a Mark III expert....

I've had some good offline dialogue on this book. Since it's for people like you I wanted to be sure on format. Obviously, for those that have it, will know that The Cars You Always Promised Yourself is 70% and this supplemental book needs avoid duplication - and it will.

There will be three sections on each version of the car that starts off with a summary of the design brief given to the stylists. Then there are the "feature cars" in the style of the Collectors Edition with a study of the interiors. Then, and this has been useful to learn I'm going to go through the most iconic brochure shots and tell the back story behind them, luckily I know the many - Derek Price, who did most of them. So they will be fun to see in full color in a book, but with some decent insight rather than the usual "Here's a red Capri" type of caption in most books.

Here's the running order....

* Intro
* Capri (Colt design brief)
* GBX prototype - clay
* Capri 1600 GT XLR Sunset
* Capri RS2600 Maize
* Interiors
* Scrapbook images
* Capri II (design brief)
* Capri Ghia - Arizona
* Capri JPS - Ebony
* RS2800 Prototype - Ebony