Fraudsters at it again.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Fraudsters at it again.

Post by Paul G »

Thought I'd have a look at Capri's for sale on ebay this morning and the top 15 adverts were fraudulent. All from the same seller who also had boats and tractors and everything else you could think of for sale, all at "bargain" prices.

Be very careful guys!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Fraudsters at it again.

Post by Jasonmarie »

That seems the norm on eBay , how they get somebody’s information I don’t know .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

He's only selling 2,200 items at bargain prices on behalf of his brother. What's suspicious about that?
Seriously though, Ebay will be quick to remove the items, but there should be some kind of stricter controls in place to stop the listings before they become live. Even if one person is caught out by these scams, that is one victim too many.
Jasonmarie wrote:That seems the norm on eBay , how they get somebody’s information I don’t know .
A lot of the scam adverts take the info and photos from recent genuine listings.I would assume that the account they are being sold on has been hacked.

Andrew.
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

Post by 2litreScapri »

One of the Capri guys on facebook called ebay 8 times to get the ads removed, and they have. The problem is being worldwide ebay cannot really keep up with these scam ads, and if you entered in keywords to the algorithm that would block it you could also prevent thousands of genuine sellers who are selling on behalf of friend or relative due t different genuine reasons. And ebay don't know the value of the cars, so it's up to us to report it.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

This happens several times a week now :doh: