Bye Bye Tornado

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Post Reply
User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5954
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Bye Bye Tornado

Post by andyd » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:52 pm

End of an era https://home.bt.com/news/latest-news/to ... 4329536635

Great plane which I remember from my childhood. They occasionally low fly over the village, so hopefully see and/or hear them again before they finish flying at the end of March :(

Bug
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Bug » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:25 pm

Had to pop back in to comment on this.
I worked Tornado for most of my 23 year RAF career, from Junior Technician through to Chief Technician, as a Propulsion/Airframes Technician. 9 years on 617 Sqn while they were at Marham, then 13 Sqn, before ending up running a team doing the Major strip/rebuilds in 4 Hangar at Marham. Worked on GR1, 1A, 4 and 4A. Loved every minute. They took me round the world, through the first Gulf War, back to the Gulf in '92 to set up 'Southern Watch', plus Oman, Bahrain, Germany, Norway, Holland, Nellis AFB, Cyprus, Sardinia and others I've forgotten. Was lucky enough to get a 'jolly' in the rear seat of ZA601 back in '93, so I have flown with the Dambusters! My 'driver' was Sqn Ldr, now Sir Steven Hillier, Chief of the Air Staff. Never cease to get a kick from seeing him on TV and saying, "hey, there's my chauffeur". His most memorable comment as we flew over the Brecon Beacons about 20 minutes after leaving Marham was "Ha, your fancy 2.8i wouldn't be out of the Main Gate yet".
It will be a sad day when the Tonka stops flying. I'm pleased to say No.2 son followed me and his first posting was Marham, working on the very same jets, in the very same places as me.
There are a GR1 and a GR4 at Duxford, not too far from me, so I guess i'll end up as one of the sad old gits who stands around misty eyed, staring at them.
The skies will never quite be the same.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5954
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by andyd » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Bug wrote:Had to pop back in to comment on this.
I worked Tornado for most of my 23 year RAF career, from Junior Technician through to Chief Technician, as a Propulsion/Airframes Technician. 9 years on 617 Sqn while they were at Marham, then 13 Sqn, before ending up running a team doing the Major strip/rebuilds in 4 Hangar at Marham. Worked on GR1, 1A, 4 and 4A. Loved every minute. They took me round the world, through the first Gulf War, back to the Gulf in '92 to set up 'Southern Watch', plus Oman, Bahrain, Germany, Norway, Holland, Nellis AFB, Cyprus, Sardinia and others I've forgotten. Was lucky enough to get a 'jolly' in the rear seat of ZA601 back in '93, so I have flown with the Dambusters! My 'driver' was Sqn Ldr, now Sir Steven Hillier, Chief of the Air Staff. Never cease to get a kick from seeing him on TV and saying, "hey, there's my chauffeur". His most memorable comment as we flew over the Brecon Beacons about 20 minutes after leaving Marham was "Ha, your fancy 2.8i wouldn't be out of the Main Gate yet".
It will be a sad day when the Tonka stops flying. I'm pleased to say No.2 son followed me and his first posting was Marham, working on the very same jets, in the very same places as me.
There are a GR1 and a GR4 at Duxford, not too far from me, so I guess i'll end up as one of the sad old gits who stands around misty eyed, staring at them.
The skies will never quite be the same.
Firstly good to hear from you and secondly what an experience you've had in and around this Jet :applaud:

I still get a misty eyed when I watch Guy Martin the last flight of the Vulcan, another great aeroplane which I missed displaying locally a few years back before it retired :doh:

ATB

Lord Flasheart
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:19 pm
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Lord Flasheart » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:12 pm

That's my childhood being retired :shock:

End of another aviation era :(

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6524
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Peter-S » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 am

Seems a bit weird that we were getting excited by the pending introduction of 'Panavia MRCA Tornado' when I was still at school and now 40 years later I'm thinking they're withdrawing it from service too soon!
Here's one of the Duxford residents that Bug mentioned

ImageDSCF3722 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5954
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by andyd » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 am

Peter-S wrote:Seems a bit weird that we were getting excited by the pending introduction of 'Panavia MRCA Tornado' when I was still at school and now 40 years later I'm thinking they're withdrawing it from service too soon!
Here's one of the Duxford residents that Bug mentioned

ImageDSCF3722 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
I used to call it the MRCA when I was at school, before I knew better :whistle: :)

Great pic, it looks mean just sitting there :sneaky:

Bug
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Bug » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 am

That's the GR1. Very early version as they almost immediately disabled the droop facility on the main undercarriage doors. Bringing them back in that little bit did nothing for aerodynamics and hurt your head when you tried to get into the bay :)
The GR4 is in the Battle of Britain hangar, in the far righthand corner. It only completed Major maintenance a few months before it retired. A waste of money really. But at least it looks bright and shiny.

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6524
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Peter-S » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 am

Bug wrote:The GR4 is in the Battle of Britain hangar
Called in at Duxford yesterday so thought I would add the GR4 :)

ImageDSCN0146 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5954
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by andyd » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 am

Peter-S wrote:
Bug wrote:The GR4 is in the Battle of Britain hangar
Called in at Duxford yesterday so thought I would add the GR4 :)

ImageDSCN0146 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Thanks Peter.
That's a great pic :cheers:

A few days ago we had 2 Typhoon's fly over at low level :)
I expect we will see them more often now that the Tornado is retiring.

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6524
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Peter-S » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:16 pm

andyd wrote: That's a great pic :cheers:

.
Thanks Andy :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

Bug
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Bye Bye Tornado

Post by Bug » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 am

Nice one.
Forgot it had Brimstone on it. Good representation really as that is one of the main uses of it during Op Shader and ISIS seriously didn't like those things. My lad spent 3 months in Cyprus on that Op as ground crew. When the crew they strapped in actually dropped something in Syria, they gave their line team an 'assist'. On his first one, the navigator took Ben into the ops building and showed him the video footage. The Brimstone can be 'tuned' to give a specific size of blast incredibly enough. Ben watched an ISIS commander walk out the door of his house and get in his car. Then the car evaporated but the house was almost completely untouched. So even if he had kids in there, they would have been unharmed. Amazing technology.

As an aside, Ben is now a fully qualified engines/airframes technician and is on 29 Sqn at Coningsby, operating Typhoons.
Following in the family footsteps and making his Dad proud.

PS. Why do Duxford take all the fuel out, but then leave it looking like it's on stilts. We always kept them fully fuelled and it doesn't look right to me being that high up. I know they can't put fuel in, but it doesn't take much to let some nitrogen pressure out of the oleos, just or the sake of authenticity.

Post Reply