Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Series 2

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Series 2

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I did enjoy the show wish there was more on the restro , Andys body shop was part of Tickover a few years ago but has moved to Rochester I thought £600 for a small weld and know paint was a little steep but perhaps that is the cost and it’s me .
Very nice car . I took note of the selling price of 11k makes me think I will go for 12.5 k value on my next month to see what the insurance say .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Don't usually watch this show as I don't like Drew :wank: Pritchard but made an exception because of the cars covered in it. I did learn that 82 model 2.0s had lazer striped Recaro's with fishnets which was a new one on me, I thought most of the post - Carla trimmed ones were just sports seats like my 1984 S has. Checked a 1982 brochure and it was right though but it seems it was 1982 year models only. They weren't even an option after that. Overall the car looked good when it was finished though I was a bit surprised at how much he sold it for - I'd be happy with around £5K - £6 for mine when it's been recommisioned.

My jury was out on the Lancia - probably would have had the paint rectfied and left it in the red. He did the right thing getting that steering wheel and the road wheels though. Amazing cars though, I have driven one and it was superb.

Prickhard :wank: was on his usual form - chucking that headrest like that and arriving to see the Lancia and immediately taking the piss out of that man's Testarossa. No need for that kind off arrogance on a car show.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:Don't usually watch this show as I don't like Drew :wank: Pritchard but made an exception because of the cars covered in it. I did learn that 82 model 2.0s had lazer striped Recaro's with fishnets which was a new one on me, I thought most of the post - Carla trimmed ones were just sports seats like my 1984 S has. Checked a 1982 brochure and it was right though but it seems it was 1982 year models only. They weren't even an option after that.
After struggling to find the interior, I'd like to know where they got the Recaro's?
They were very clean and possibly restored....If so I would have been interested in seeing that too.

No mention of the bumper repair/replacement either :?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: They were very clean and possibly restored....If so I would have been interested in seeing that too.
I would be amazed if they hadn't bee re-upholstered, as they were in superb condition. I've never heard of the guy they bought the original set of seats (the infamous headrest set... :D ) from though. Has anybody on here bought anything from him before?
It's interesting as in Drew's antiques programme they usually show what is involved in restoration of furniture. However, as is usual with car programmes, it's skipped over and only mentioned briefly. Perhaps the producers deem the ins and outs of car restoration too boring for Joe public?

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: They were very clean and possibly restored....If so I would have been interested in seeing that too.
I would be amazed if they hadn't bee re-upholstered, as they were in superb condition. I've never heard of the guy they bought the original set of seats (the infamous headrest set... :D ) from though. Has anybody on here bought anything from him before?
It's interesting as in Drew's antiques programme they usually show what is involved in restoration of furniture. However, as is usual with car programmes, it's skipped over and only described briefly. Perhaps the producers deem the ins and outs of car restoration too boring for Joe public?

Andrew.
:agree: Andrew.
For us 'cars fans' it would be handy to know the people that specialize in our cars.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

i think I read they were doing a Capri in the CCI magazine last year so I guess they went there or Martin ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Paul G wrote: I did learn that 82 model 2.0s had lazer striped Recaro's with fishnets which was a new one on me, I thought most of the post - Carla trimmed ones were just sports seats like my 1984 S has. Checked a 1982 brochure and it was right though but it seems it was 1982 year models only. They weren't even an option after that.
I had an ‘82 X reg 2.0s which had the fishnet Recaro’s with silver stripes. Loved that car, the seats were a big reason why I bought it.
Paul G wrote:I'd be happy with around £5K - £6 for mine when it's been recommisioned.
Sold!
Paul G wrote: Prickhard :wank: was on his usual form - chucking that headrest like that and arriving to see the Lancia and immediately taking the piss out of that man's Testarossa. No need for that kind off arrogance on a car show.
:agree: Bit of a Diva is our Drew..
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

andyd wrote:
Paul G wrote:Don't usually watch this show as I don't like Drew :wank: Pritchard but made an exception because of the cars covered in it. I did learn that 82 model 2.0s had lazer striped Recaro's with fishnets which was a new one on me, I thought most of the post - Carla trimmed ones were just sports seats like my 1984 S has. Checked a 1982 brochure and it was right though but it seems it was 1982 year models only. They weren't even an option after that.
After struggling to find the interior, I'd like to know where they got the Recaro's?
They were very clean and possibly restored....If so I would have been interested in seeing that too.

No mention of the bumper repair/replacement either :?
Or the cammy engine and the pulling to the left on the test drive. And all made perfect for £4.5k- BOLLOCKS,
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

I was waiting for your sagely thoughts Martin :D

I have to agree too, apparently they put new arches on all round, a good proper fix but if originality was the brief, I know from personal experience that existing arches can be mostly retained (level of rot depending) but its time consuming.

Overall not a bad show, just lacks detail that most of us enthusiasts would like to see, made for a broader audience
andyd

Post by andyd »

Lord Flasheart wrote:
Overall not a bad show, just lacks detail that most of us enthusiasts would like to see, made for a broader audience
:agree:
Quite misleading if you don't know any better....I wonder how many people not that interested in cars actually watch it :headscratch:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Just noticed it's on again Saturday 8pm and Sunday 5pm and 9pm :shock: That's 10 times if you count the +1 channel.
So no excuses to miss this really :lol:
Last edited by andyd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Enjoyed seeing a Capri get some positive air time and the end result looked great.

Pathetic that Drew threw that headrest though :swear:

:agree: though, should be one car per episode and then see more work being carried out.
IMO, having a few mins devoted to researching the cars history/owners might be interesting.
Nige Image
andyd

Post by andyd »

Brooksy wrote:Enjoyed seeing a Capri get some positive air time and the end result looked great.

Pathetic that Drew threw that headrest though :swear:

:agree: though, should be one car per episode and then see more work being carried out.
IMO, having a few mins devoted to researching the cars history/owners might be interesting.
:agree: we should appreciate a Capri gets on T/V, but many comments on Capri World say the same, not enough airtime of the repairs etc
johnd444
Car(s): 2.0 litre lazer

Post by johnd444 »

Hi guys the bloke he bought the first interior from is my uncle he’s in Chelmsford does Resto ect he’s got a very nice calypso for sale at the moment

His names Danny bush 07949 027601

On face book as “repair refurb your ride”
andyd

Post by andyd »

johnd444 wrote:Hi guys the bloke he bought the first interior from is my uncle he’s in Chelmsford does Resto ect he’s got a very nice calypso for sale at the moment

His names Danny bush 07949 027601

On face book as “repair refurb your ride”
Thanks for that, it may come in useful for someone :cheers:

I have added it to the Capri Parts thread.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Saw this week's. Thought the VW came to a sad end, looked better all original but maybe not the money in it. The P6 came out really well, I know that wasn't all original but had the classic look.
andyd

Post by andyd »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Saw this week's. Thought the VW came to a sad end, looked better all original but maybe not the money in it. The P6 came out really well, I know that wasn't all original but had the classic look.
Thought both looked ok, but preferred the Rover.
Amazing how the paintwork was improved by removing a layer of paint and polishing etc.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I've got a big soft spot for the P6 Rovers as I grew up with them. My dad had five of them between 1963 and 1976, all of them white, then had had his first SD1 V8 in !976 which was like a spaceship in comparison. The first Sd1 was brilliant, 80,000 miles in two years but the second in 1978 was a pile of unreliable crap that fell to bits and finished dad's Rover ownership career. He then had a Merc.

AS for the VW in the show - well I'm not a fan of them.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Amazing how the paintwork was improved by removing a layer of paint and polishing etc.
I agree. I am amazed at what can be achieved with the polishing. The paintwork afterwards looked incredible.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: Amazing how the paintwork was improved by removing a layer of paint and polishing etc.
I agree. I am amazed at what can be achieved with the polishing. The paintwork afterwards looked incredible.

Andrew.
My eldest’s previous black car had loads of swirls & a nasty stone chip. Had the chip touched in proud of the paint then had a professional polish, looked like it’d been resprayed.
Thought the job done on the rover was well done, came out looking great, new owners must have been happy with that.
As for the VW, my father owned a fastback then straight after, an estate type3. Thought it came out looking good. Wouldn’t have messed around with the bumper or the red sidewalls but thought the colour & wheels suited it.