Tickover Day Part 3 !

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Tickover Day Part 3 !

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Well just booked in B112 with Gus and Clive to do some more work on my underside resto project. They have already done a superb job on the suspension, axle, prop, gearbox and other jobs along the way. Now its time for the next stage :)

So, this time quite a bit of work. Am getting them to fit the new fuel tank I got along with new brackets, sender unit, and fuel line too. They are going to replace the steering rack with a new/refurbished one along with all new fittings ie tca, ends, uprated bushes. I have had a refurbished crossmember sitting wrapped up in my garage for a couple of years now so now is as good a time to get it fitted. I also have a refurbished oil sump that I am going to get fitted at the same time along with new gasket. Then...while they are doing this might as well get them to remove the pinto and paint it up for me. Will get them to replace the other core plugs as a matter of course, especially the one that one that you cannot get to when engine fitted. They will refurbish the engine mount brackets before refitting the Pinto. Am sure there will be a few other little jobs might need doing while this is all getting done.

So, yep quite a lot of work but kinda makes sense to get the other jobs done now while they have the engine out. Am leaving it with them early March so very exciting indeed. Once this stage 3 work has been done then that will be most of the underside replaced/refurbished. Thought it would not really happen for a couple more years but went for it during last year and now it should be ready for the upcoming year !

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Tickover Day Part 3 !

Post by Paul G »

Nick, you sure are lavishing that car with some love.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:Nick, you sure are lavishing that car with some love.
:agree:
All these jobs are difficult at home with a trolley jack etc, so you are doing the right thing with Tickover.

And helps towards the agreed value too :cheers:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Nice one Nick, you won’t have to worry now when Andrew uses his ‘underbody’ mirror :D .
Looking forward to seeing the transformation.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Nice one Nick, you won’t have to worry now when Andrew uses his ‘underbody’ mirror :D .
:lol:
I'm parking my 'rust bucket' well away from B112 :wave:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

well done mate , hope to see B112 before she is done and the full treatment afterwards . yes she will be a 100 point Capri then .
Andrew is in charge of the full inspection :lol:
As Andy said I think we will all park away from you now so we are not shown up .
As always mate Tickover will do such a great job as you know . also yes you need mirrors now and a small book made up of all the work you have done at the shows .
think you should insure B112 as concurs as well ……

:lowrider:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote:Nick, you sure are lavishing that car with some love.
:lol: Thanks Paul. It deffo is a love that will last fella. Its not just a fling :lol: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:All these jobs are difficult at home with a trolley jack etc, so you are doing the right thing with Tickover.

And helps towards the agreed value too :cheers:
Cheers Andy. Yep deffo makes sense to let Tickover do these jobs. Bit too much off axles and would take me the whole summer too !!!!! I kmow Gus and Clive will do a proper job of it . Yep might have to up the value a tad this year. Cheers Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
That is very exciting news indeed!
B112 is something really special already, but when this work is completed.....wow!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:Nice one Nick, you won’t have to worry now when Andrew uses his ‘underbody’ mirror :D .
Looking forward to seeing the transformation.
:lol: Cheers Rob :) Andrews inspection is like mitchilin stars in cooking....we all dread the inspection it but we all crave for just one star from him :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:I'm parking my 'rust bucket' well away from B112 :wave:
:shock: :lol: Hey Andy....have you got any spare 'Please do not touch the underneath ' signs :wave: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:well done mate , hope to see B112 before she is done and the full treatment afterwards . yes she will be a 100 point Capri then .
Andrew is in charge of the full inspection :lol:
As Andy said I think we will all park away from you now so we are not shown up .
As always mate Tickover will do such a great job as you know . also yes you need mirrors now and a small book made up of all the work you have done at the shows .
think you should insure B112 as concurs as well ……

:lowrider:
Thanks Jason. Yep I am gettibg a bit of a regular down in Dartford now....put the kettle on :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your kind words fella. Still got a to do list with plenty on it mate but yep gettingpretty much most of the underside done is the biggest job I can soon tick off ! :)

Will deffo up the agreed value this year but I have tweaked mine too much for concours originality now. B112 will never win any concours for this very reason but I love all the mods that I have done so not really bothered. Reckon I should be able to class it as very good/excellent so may try to get an agreed value of £10k when its due for renewal. Think its still at 8k at the moment. Wish me luck !!! Your engine bay is very original mate. Credit to you sir !!

Now....about them mirrors :lol: :lol:

Ps Hope we can meet on the 11th mate if you are about.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Nick,
That is very exciting news indeed!
B112 is something really special already, but when this work is completed.....wow!
Hey thanks very much Andrew. The underside will deffo look a bit better thsts for sure but its the peace of mind that all the previous owners botches/shortcuts are slowly being replaced with either new or refurbished 'correct' parts. Seeing the underside of your concours quality Capri at QS couple years back gave me the incentive to one day do something with mine. If its half as good as yours by the time its finished I will be well happy :)

Think I will need a bigger tub of Autoglym :wave: :lol:
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Are you getting the clutch changed whilst the engine is out,parts are cheap and it is normally all the work to get at the clutch that costs but as they will have the engine and gearbox split you have none of this to pay for, may be worth doing.

i assume your next purchase is a 6 foot mirror so we can all see the good work :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

brooky wrote:Are you getting the clutch changed whilst the engine is out,parts are cheap and it is normally all the work to get at the clutch that costs but as they will have the engine and gearbox split you have none of this to pay for, may be worth doing.

i assume your next purchase is a 6 foot mirror so we can all see the good work :xd:
Hi Mark.

Great to hear from you mate. Thanks for your advice. I had a new clutch done four years ago in Jan 2015 so am guessing all should be ok but its deffo worth getting them to check it while engine is out and if they reckon on fitting a new one then as you say a perfect time to do it. To be honest mate I completely forgot about the clutch so have added it to the list for Tickover to check. I got my local garage to fit it back then as I thought it would be easy enough for them and at the time I had not started using Tickover but I had a few problems with the cable being incorrectly fitted/poorly adjusted at the clutch end and ended up refitting and adjusting it myself. It did not fill me with confidence that the garage did a good job with the clutch but took their word all was ok. Touch wood so far have not had any issues but its worth getting Gus and Clive to have a look at it. They did not mention it when they last had the gearbox off few months ago as anything they saw needed doing they did. I will mention it to them for sure now you kindly advised. Thanks for thinking of this Mark :D

Hope to see you, Lee and the 280 during the course of this year. Be great to see your Sierra too mate.

All the best Mark

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nick will try and get some Dartford fog and Tickover dust mate :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: