Sierra and Capri UK ads

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Sierra and Capri UK ads

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Somebody on here mentioned a while back a possible story of Sierra Vs Capri head2head. Well here are two UK commercials which shows how different the marketing was.

https://youtu.be/-79b_Rz2BsM

https://youtu.be/reL42t1E1fE
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Sierra and Capri UK ads

Post by Jasonmarie »

“ And it goes like the clappers “ just love it why don’t they make adverts like that , the Sierra advert my dad always told me it was Dartmoor but I know it’s not . Great cars and great times . To much health and safety and EU rubbish ..........
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:“ And it goes like the clappers “ just love it why don’t they make adverts like that , the Sierra advert my dad always told me it was Dartmoor but I know it’s not . Great cars and great times . To much health and safety and EU rubbish ..........
The Capri ad was definately UK summer weather :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Car ads with wheelspins....that's how they should be! :D

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: The Capri ad was definately UK summer weather :lol:
The ironic thing is, most of us panic now about driving them in that sort of weather :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
andyd wrote: The Capri ad was definately UK summer weather :lol:
The ironic thing is, most of us panic now about driving them in that sort of weather :lol:
That's because they are worth more now than when they were new :shock: :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s very true my old Capri went everywhere in all weather she would go threw snow with out missing a beat and loved spinning the back , also I would always get my foot down to pass the gritters on the road .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

The ironic thing is, most of us panic now about driving them in that sort of weather :lol:[/quote]
he ironic thing is, most of us panic now about driving them in that sort of weather :lol:[/quote]
I thought the very same thing and have thought that for a while. I grew up on a terrace street and a guy around the corner had a Hillman Minx (cortina shape one not the curvy thing) and still had it well in to the 90's and most probably his. It was outside in all weather's, he would wash and polish it and it looked factory fresh! Weird how precious we are, these cars might be 50 years old but they weren't always and have much better protection now. That said mines staying indoors and not coming out in the rain!!! :drive:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Most of us have a Capri as a second car for shows or the odd drive on a nice day, so really no need to drive it in bad weather.
But as we know, weather can change at a moments notice and possible to be caught out :(
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

At least with the two old ads they were proper car ads and you could tell instantly what the ad was about. I get peed off with the modern ads where it's all music. flashing lights, a picture of the bloody I phone connectivity and a two second picture of a top of the range model which bears no resemblance to the "from" price that they may or most likely may not quote.

I take for example the recent Skoda Karoq advert. Lovely song (My kind of music) from a lovely singer (Paloma Faith) and a great car but the ad is all a video about Paloma Faith singing the song with a maybe two second shot of the car near the end. How different that is from those ads of the eighties.

The same applies to modern brochures for cars or the manufacturer's websites. A load of bollocks about the air bags, sat nav (people can't read bloody maps these days) and phone connectivity and a few pictures of the top of the range model in some lurid colour. What a comparison with a seventies or eighties brochure where you would have a page for each of the models, L, Gl, Super de Lux, Ghia or Vanden plas etc which would have photos of the inside, outside, engine, boot and other aspects of the particular model as well as the techinal spec and list of (rather limited) specification of the car.

The modern stuff just seems so shallow and aimed at the lowest common denominator in my opinion - give me those old ads and brochures and 2.8i's being thrashed sideways anytime. (Oh no, you can't show vehicles driving fast any more as it encourages bad driving!)
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:At least with the two old ads they were proper car ads and you could tell instantly what the ad was about. I get peed off with the modern ads where it's all music. flashing lights, a picture of the bloody I phone connectivity and a two second picture of a top of the range model which bears no resemblance to the "from" price that they may or most likely may not quote.

I take for example the recent Skoda Karoq advert. Lovely song (My kind of music) from a lovely singer (Paloma Faith) and a great car but the ad is all a video about Paloma Faith singing the song with a maybe two second shot of the car near the end. How different that is from those ads of the eighties.

The same applies to modern brochures for cars or the manufacturer's websites. A load of bollocks about the air bags, sat nav (people can't read bloody maps these days) and phone connectivity and a few pictures of the top of the range model in some lurid colour. What a comparison with a seventies or eighties brochure where you would have a page for each of the models, L, Gl, Super de Lux, Ghia or Vanden plas etc which would have photos of the inside, outside, engine, boot and other aspects of the particular model as well as the techinal spec and list of (rather limited) specification of the car.

The modern stuff just seems so shallow and aimed at the lowest common denominator in my opinion - give me those old ads and brochures and 2.8i's being thrashed sideways anytime. (Oh no, you can't show vehicles driving fast any more as it encourages bad driving!)
Good points Paul!
I used to like picking up the old brochures and reading them :)
Nothing to like about modern cars they all look the same :headscratch:
All this emphasis on phone connectivity when it's illegal to use one whilst driving :? I know it serves other uses but shouldn't be a priority or encouraged imo.
We want to change the Focus but nothing seems to appeal :(
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

[/quote]
Good points Paul!
All this emphasis on phone connectivity when it's illegal to use one whilst driving :? I know it serves other uses but shouldn't be a priority or encouraged imo.
We want to change the Focus but nothing seems to appeal :([/quote]

I need to update my daily too, my Octavia VRS is 13 years old and just over 100,000 now and starting to get a few niggles - ABS pump playing up now, will get that repaired then sell it in favour of a year old Octavia 1.4 model. Sounds dull but it's 150bhp and still faster on paper than a 2.8i!

Personally I like the VAG stuff and an Octavia is a bargain price Audi really. People that are snooty about the Skoda name are daft really these days.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

[/quote]
Good points Paul!
We want to change the Focus but nothing seems to appeal :([/quote]

I need to update my daily too, my Octavia VRS is 13 years old and just over 100,000 now and starting to get a few niggles - ABS pump playing up now, will get that repaired then sell it in favour of a year old Octavia 1.4 model. Sounds dull but it's 150bhp and still faster on paper than a 2.8i!

Personally I like the VAG stuff and an Octavia is a bargain price Audi in my opinion. People that are snooty about the Skoda name are daft really these days.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Paul G wrote:At least with the two old ads they were proper car ads What a comparison with a seventies or eighties brochure where you would have a page for each of the models, L, Gl, Super de Lux, Ghia or Vanden plas etc which would have photos of the inside, outside, engine, boot and other aspects of the particular model as well as the techinal spec and list of (rather limited) specification of the car.
:agree: Loved looking at those brochures, it was great comparing the specs, it’s amazing what a few detail changes (overriders, alloys & stripes etc) can make to the look of a car. It was good to see all the different :ford: cars too in 1 brochure.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:Personally I like the VAG stuff and an Octavia is a bargain price Audi in my opinion.
Skodas are fitted with an indicator stalk too, whereas it would appear that Audis aren't....

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Paul G wrote:Personally I like the VAG stuff and an Octavia is a bargain price Audi in my opinion.
Skodas are fitted with an indicator stalk too, whereas it would appear that Audis aren't....

Andrew.
:lol: :lol:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Oh nostalgia........that blokes voice takes me back to being 12 again :helpinghand:
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

Post by 2litreScapri »

Completely agree on the old adverts, but that's the point. Car ownership was more special years ago, people used to take photos of themselves posing with their new purchase, be it new car or secondhand, or kids in their parents cars. Nowadays 99% of new cars are white goods, and I argue this point, that although some of us get excited at the prospect of a 1 litre Mk3 Fiesta Popular, I really can't see anyone wanting to go to a car show to see a 1.4 Mk7 Fiesta base model in the future, but then I'm sure people said that in the 80s & 90s about Mk3 Fiestas, so I could be wrong!
As Paul says, modern adverts rarely ever show you the excitement of car ownership, but manufacturers can't be seen to encourage such behaviour. Unfortunately, the kids seem to love pops & bangs coming from a Fiesta ST & wheelspins are commonplace, so advertising has moved from TV to video games, they don't need any further encouragement, just turn up at any supermarket car park or retail park any night of the week & it is constant. And, it's also about "static" & "stance" which is basically lowering your car to the point it's undriveable. Sometimes looks good, but unless on airbag suspension, truly pointless.
Me? Well as Paul and many others know, I love giving my Capri some stick :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but I always make sure where I do it is normally out of harms way, and very rarely in public, because safety, and because I may end up looking like an idiot. Plus, such behaviour has got many a meet shut down.

Little soapbox rant there at 3:40am!
Kris