What Spares....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

What Spares....

Post by andyd »

I was thinking of getting some spares incase anything breaks over the summer months, so I can use the car if/when required and not left waiting on parts.Nothing as big as gearboxes etc more electrical parts that can be carried around in the boot. A new Ignition coil is on my list, as I had one fail on me before when I was away from home, luckily a mate had a spare.

Alternator belts, power steering belt and spark plugs are brand new.

What sort of things do you keep as a backup?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: What Spares....

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Andy,
I only keep fuses, lightbulbs, belts an assortment of nuts and bolts and a replacement accelerator cable in the car. I also carry 5 litres of coolant, 1 litre of engine oil and also small containers of PS fluid and brake fluid.
In my opinion, a breakdown out on the road that's caused by anything else will not be a huge issue as long as you have the relevant breakdown cover to get you home.
I try to keep as many spares as possible in the garage to get me up and running in the event of a failure.

Andrew,
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Andy,
I only keep fuses, lightbulbs, belts an assortment of nuts and bolts and a replacement accelerator cable in the car.
Good idea, as I have to leave room for the paving slab :whistle: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Good idea, as I have to leave room for the paving slab :whistle: :lol:
Small bits and bobs like that tuck neatly into the spare wheel well, leaving room for more slabs......

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Great thread idea Andy.

I've never carried any spares. But think I should do, just usually have some tools with me though.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I think when i get mine on the road I'll carry spare points and condenser (N/A to 2.8i), fanbelt, cap and rotor arm, and a tube of Chemical Metal which I know from experience is useful if your rad were to get hit by something and spring a leak. A length of wire can be useful too.

I'm hopeing in a year or two's time to take my Laser down to the Alps for a touring holiday and in this case I would take quite a bit more like alternator and starter and a couple of wheel bearings etc just in case.

The main thing I need is my RAC card though!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Great thread idea Andy.

I've never carried any spares. But think I should do, just usually have some tools with me though.
If you can get yourself going rather than call the breakdown company that's good with me.
The parts I want are for home and can also be taken in the car too, so it can be sorted rather than ordering the parts and waiting a few days for delivery etc.Relays, belts, bulbs, and electrical components could all fail preventing you from attending a show in my case, so any smaller item you have is a good idea :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:I think when i get mine on the road I'll carry spare points and condenser (N/A to 2.8i), fanbelt, cap and rotor arm, and a tube of Chemical Metal which I know from experience is useful if your rad were to get hit by something and spring a leak. A length of wire can be useful too.

I'm hopeing in a year or two's time to take my Laser down to the Alps for a touring holiday and in this case I would take quite a bit more like alternator and starter and a couple of wheel bearings etc just in case.

The main thing I need is my RAC card though!
Thanks Paul,
I already carry a few cable ties....Many of these parts can fail without warning, so worth having in stock so can hopefully be sorted at home or on the road.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Good idea to have a few spares at hand for sure Andy, yes. Very difficult to diagnose as issue, such as ignition, without being able to swap over some easy to change bits to find what is faulty.

Also, perhaps useful to have in the car things like a wind up torch (battery ones are useless if left in a car for any length of time), paper towels/rags, etc.
Last edited by pbar on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Cable ties/zip ties........never leave home without them.
They're so versatile, got me home many a time.
I even have them in the bedroom for when the Mrs comes over :spank:
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Good idea to have a few spares at hand for sure Andy, yes. Very difficult to diagnose as issue, such as ignition, without being able to swap over some easy to change bits to find what is faulty.

Also, perhaps useful to have in the car things like a wind up torch (battery ones are useless if left in a car for any length of time), paper towels/rags, etc.
I have everything except actual Capri parts :lol: Oh wait, I have some fuses in the glovebox.... :)

When the coil went on my XR3i, pulling into Simply Ford at Beaulieu, a mate had a spare one in his boot so we knew straight away when fitted what the issue was.Luckily I bought a new one at the show and fitted it there and gave the other back, so ever since it has been in the back of my mind having a few items like that onboard.
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:Cable ties/zip ties........never leave home without them.
They're so versatile, got me home many a time.
I even have them in the bedroom for when the Mrs comes over :spank:
:lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

This is a great idea, yes I have bulbs and fuses also (please don’t tell me of ) I found in the loft .
Rear bumper , sunroof Handel , steering wheel , 2 sets of clocks , steering knuckle thing , all the stuff I have change I keep the original . Alternator, with dizzy cap , plugs , air filter , two headrest soon to be four . Spare light .
There is some other bits but my mind will not work .

Is that OTT ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:This is a great idea, yes I have bulbs and fuses also (please don’t tell me of ) I found in the loft .
Rear bumper , sunroof Handel , steering wheel , 2 sets of clocks , steering knuckle thing , all the stuff I have change I keep the original . Alternator, with dizzy cap , plugs , air filter , two headrest soon to be four . Spare light .
There is some other bits but my mind will not work .

Is that OTT ?
All that is worth having JM :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
When the coil went on my XR3i, pulling into Simply Ford at Beaulieu, a mate had a spare one in his boot so we knew straight away when fitted what the issue was.
I take it Andy, that you just tried the coil as a matter of course, and it turned out it was that which was faulty. That was lucky then, usually seems to be the thousandth part I try when fault finding.

That is a good idea then, to carry ignition parts. Coil, condenser, points, dizzy cap, I have a spare ballast wire which Steve kindly made for me, cable ties (not sure why but it seems that people swear by them!), anything else?
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
When the coil went on my XR3i, pulling into Simply Ford at Beaulieu, a mate had a spare one in his boot so we knew straight away when fitted what the issue was.
I take it Andy, that you just tried the coil as a matter of course, and it turned out it was that which was faulty. That was lucky then, usually seems to be the thousandth part I try when fault finding.

That is a good idea then, to carry ignition parts. Coil, condenser, points, dizzy cap, I have a spare ballast wire which Steve kindly made for me, cable ties (not sure why but it seems that people swear by them!), anything else?
Hi Paul,
After my car was pushed onto the stand, my mate checked there was fuel getting through which there was, so then assumed no spark therefore changing the coil. It was a relief as the thought of going home on the breakdown truck wasn't too appealing. Even better to find one there for £10 :)

I have ordered a NOS Coil and a oil pressure switch, neither of which will break the bank but will keep me going :cool:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Nice quick fix then Andy and yes, I bet it was a relief! Good advertisement for carrying a small collection of spares that is.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Good advertisement for carrying a small collection of spares that is.
It's still taken me over 4 years to actually get around to buying spares for carrying with me....If you and/or mates can fix it at an event or if safe on the roadside, it's better than calling your breakdown company, unless it's a fault you can't find or fix in which case I have no problem in my car being taken home.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Yes, totally agree Andy. All this is making me think of the old pair of tights as a fan belt thing which I used to hear years ago. Is that actually true though?!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Yes, totally agree Andy. All this is making me think of the old pair of tights as a fan belt thing which I used to hear years ago. Is that actually true though?!
Have you heard the one about the paving slab :lol:

Yes I have heard about the tights...I suppose it could work but hard to see how, after presumably you have tied a knot in them :? :headscratch:
Personally I found them better for wearing over my head :poke: :whistle: :lol: