Flickr changes

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Flickr changes

Post by Peter-S »

I see that Flickr have announced that they too are going to start charging. Not as exorbitant as Photobucket as they are setting a fee of $49.99 annually. They will also allow free hosting for up to 1,000 pictures which I though would cover me but apparently I already have over 1,500 loaded most of them linked to here.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Flickr changes

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
Yes, I read that too. Although it's not an ideal solution, I stumped up the cash (there is a discount for the first year if you pay before the end of November) as I like the community of like-minded car enthusiasts on Flickr. Yes, you can use other sites for storage and photohosting, but I guess it depends what you use Flickr for.
To be honest, 1TB of free storage was extremely generous and was never sustainable for long as a business model.....
In case you didn't know, if you don't actively delete your excess of 500 photos before next year, Flickr will kindly do it for you!

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I don’t understand how I have pro and don’t pay a penny ? I have tried my hardest to sort this , it must be with BT or something ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I don’t understand how I have pro and don’t pay a penny ?
Lucky you! :D
These changes only affect users with more than 1000 photos (10 pages worth) in their photostream anyway.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s lucky yes I really don’t understand how the two accounts are pro . I don’t think I have 1000 pictures .. cheers Andrew
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:That’s lucky yes I really don’t understand how the two accounts are pro . I don’t think I have 1000 pictures .. cheers Andrew
Hi Jason,
You aren't that far away with 737 photos. Obviously you wouldn't want to pay for something that you don't use, and the Flickr pro subscription is auto-renewing, so I guess that could catch people out if they don't check their bank statements. If you go on to Flickr and click on your buddy icon (the photo of your steering wheel in your case) in the top right of the screen, and then click on settings, under "personal information" and "membership status" it will tell you when your pro renewal date is. Under that it will say what the payment method is. Check that to make sure that your CC details haven't been entered by mistake. :goodluck:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

All I will try that now cheers Andrew :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes it takes me it to our bet account and when I did a search BT have free rights Flick R pro as a bit coustomer .
So I know we don’t pay anything as it comes out a phone bill if it did .

So none the wiser and when I tried setting in the App it says error .... I wonder if they give us 1000 pictures free then say it will cost you x amount .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes it takes me it to our bet account and when I did a search BT have free rights Flick R pro as a bit coustomer .
So I know we don’t pay anything as it comes out a phone bill if it did .
So none the wiser and when I tried setting in the App it says error .... I wonder if they give us 1000 pictures free then say it will cost you x amount .
Hi Jason,
I've just looked it up and you are correct, BT account holders are entitled to a free Flickr pro subscription. Apparently this is to do with when BT merged or took over Yahoo, and at that time Yahoo owned Flickr. However, Yahoo sold Flickr earlier in the year. I can't say for sure, but I'd guess that when the year's subscription is due for renewal it won't be free again. It's probably best to make sure that if you do go over the 1000 limit you have back-up copies of the photos you don't want to lose.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thanks for that Andrew yes I could not work it out , so I will keep a eye out they are only backing up from my iPad as all our pictures go on a 1TB hard drive threw our Hub . sounds like I know what I am talking about but have not got a clue .

I have a windows computer that does Home work for my daughter and the rest is Apple iPads and phones , I have to pay a family account Apple for backing up on the cloud even as the hub 1TB backs up with the home computer back up .

That’s sounds really wrong .....but hope it make sense, the main thing is why I have a pro account . And you have sorted it . :beer: