Discuss Saxty's Book - The Cars You Always Promised Yourself

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Discuss Saxty's Book - The Cars You Always Promised Yourself

Postby Jasonmarie » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Have left a review and thanks Steve I will re visited this book as reference and facts that I never knew .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Steve Saxty
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Postby Steve Saxty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:Have left a review and thanks Steve I will re visited this book as reference and facts that I never knew .

Thanks - I hope it was fun to write up the review!

Steve Saxty

Video Review of Steve Saxty's book

Postby Steve Saxty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Just the thing for a glass of wine on a Sunday night - here's me excitedly talking through the book when I first got my copy. https://www.stevesaxty.com/design-video ... -jmw8x6vr#

Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Postby Pas28i » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi Steve, I’m really enjoying your great book bringing back many memories!

At the moment I’m on the xr4i story and remember in the late 80s at secondary school; my CDT teacher (technology) who was an avid Ford owner, had a small collection of cars, one being a black XR4i.

He always said that his was one of the first 20, yet he could never find any press articles on it which he found a mystery....until now!

He owned JVX 2Y.

As far as I know he hasn’t retired yet (and don’t know if he since found any literature with his Sierra) I know he’d be happy to hear that his old car has been mentioned somewhere (and no doubt buy your book too).

The last time I saw this Sierra was back in 2003 when I took my Capri to FordFair; by then he already sold it on and the subsequent owner fitted the Granada 24v engine.
It’s taxed and mot’d so looks to have survived!

Steve Saxty

Postby Steve Saxty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Pas28i wrote:Hi Steve, I’m really enjoying your great book bringing back many memories!

At the moment I’m on the xr4i story and remember in the late 80s at secondary school; my CDT teacher (technology) who was an avid Ford owner, had a small collection of cars, one being a black XR4i.

He always said that his was one of the first 20, yet he could never find any press articles on it which he found a mystery....until now!

He owned JVX 2Y.

As far as I know he hasn’t retired yet (and don’t know if he since found any literature with his Sierra) I know he’d be happy to hear that his old car has been mentioned somewhere (and no doubt buy your book too).

The last time I saw this Sierra was back in 2003 when I took my Capri to FordFair; by then he already sold it on and the subsequent owner fitted the Granada 24v engine.
It’s taxed and mot’d so looks to have survived!

I'm glad you're enjoying it - what's been fun is to watch the tribalism of old disappear - now Capri owners happy to read about Sierra and vice versa. I spoke to Allen Patch at the XROC and that XR4i is still around and now running a Cosworth 24V V6, owned by a chap with two of those press cars.

Steve Saxty

Postby Steve Saxty » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Those nice people at Autocar did this tonight - take a look, all without buying the book you get to see the RS2800 and 2003 Capri! https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/sec ... never-made

dan the capri fan
Car(s): A black 1986 ford capri 1.6 laser with slight modifications.

Postby dan the capri fan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:57 pm

This book sounds fantastic and the cover looks amazing. How do I get my hands on one as a nice Christmas present for myself. Are they available in any book shops like waterstones etc? :)

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 pm

dan the capri fan wrote:This book sounds fantastic and the cover looks amazing. How do I get my hands on one as a nice Christmas present for myself. Are they available in any book shops like waterstones etc? :)

Hi Dan,
If you go on to the CCI website there is a link to enter into a draw to win a copy of the book.

Andrew.

Steve Saxty

Postby Steve Saxty » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 am

dan the capri fan wrote:This book sounds fantastic and the cover looks amazing. How do I get my hands on one as a nice Christmas present for myself. Are they available in any book shops like waterstones etc? :)

They are only available from the publisher as if Waterstones and the rest had added their margins it would have been £90 and likely too expensive for many at that price. Here’s the link. https://porterpress.co.uk/collections/ford-collection

Steve Saxty

Postby Steve Saxty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:34 pm

I just updated the book's website BTW here - https://www.stevesaxty.com

And so good news, the publisher is doing a Christmas promotion on their books - free shipping in the UK! The code is <<freeshipping>> which you apply here at https://www.stevesaxty.com/buyit