Guess what Fordoholic Nick has just collected ???

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Guess what Fordoholic Nick has just collected ???

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:I still like the rug.
pbar wrote:I still like the rug.
:lol: Thanks Paul. Got it online from USA :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Almost sounds like Shakespeare, just see nick on stage now with Andrews Tea Towel on his head and holding the tank in the air with one arm ....

“TO PANIT OR NOT TO PAINT “ “ THAT IS THE QUESTION “ :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Methinks it were an easy leap
To pluck bright honour from the pale faced moon
Or dive into the bottom of the deep
Where fathom lines could never reach

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote:Clear lacquer
Thanks very much Peter. I wanted to deffo keep it Silver so will apply some Clear Lacquer then like you say. Cheers mate. :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:I was closest, at least my cap fits onto the tank. Do I win a prize ? :)
Nice addition to a very nice car, it might get wet on the inside but I can’t see the outside coming near the wet stuff ;)
Yes you were very close guessing it was a cap Rob :lol:

I will send you a signed copy of my book " My love affair with the bumpy roads of Enfield" :wave:

Yep will be hard to see it been filled up with bleedin petrol :crying: so yep I will be looking after the outside with extra care i can tell you Sir :D

Hope you enjoyed the film tonight mate !
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

+1 for lacquer over the original finish. That should keep it looking good for a while.
I would definitely keep the original look, but if you wanted something a little different,another option instead of paint would be to polish everything below the lip. A professional would get a mirror chrome finish on it. As I said though, I'd keep it original.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

All can I ask a big question .... now we are all in the same boat with the age of our petrol tanks and with Young nick being the first I think to get a new petrol tank should any of us be thinking of renewing ours ?
I almost sure John did have his refurbished ( I might have that wrong )

So what are your thoughts ladies and gents
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:All can I ask a big question .... now we are all in the same boat with the age of our petrol tanks and with Young nick being the first I think to get a new petrol tank should any of us be thinking of renewing ours ?

The thing is where do you stop :?
Many of the parts are now over 30 years old, so we could have boxes of engine parts, lights, switches, dials, trim and clips incase we need it...Endless really :headscratch:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:All can I ask a big question .... now we are all in the same boat with the age of our petrol tanks and with Young nick being the first I think to get a new petrol tank should any of us be thinking of renewing ours ?

The thing is where do you stop :?
Many of the parts are now over 30 years old, so we could have boxes of engine parts, lights, switches, dials, trim and clips incase we need it...Endless really :headscratch:
I say change it if it needs changing, otherwise leave it alone. Several factors will determine the life of a fuel tank, you might be changing it for no reason.
I would also add keeping it full prevents condensation getting in and rotting it out through the winter.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Some good points there folks yes I always store mine with a full tank , I spoke with nick lastnight and said I would love to see the inside of his tank when they remove it as we can all see what time has done .
But yes what we do say is if it’s not broke don’t fix it . But I do love what nick has really transformed the top and now the bottom it’s a real credit to him .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi guys, yep I thought the 'if it aint broke leave it alone" would pop up :lol: . Guys I been doing a lot of work underneath and the tank does need a refurb but when Martin announced he was getting good quality new tanks I thought I might as well replace with a nice new one. I did not put this up high on jobs to do but thought might as well get it done now just in case stock supplies become more difficult to buy. This was Martins last one till his next batch. My sender unit is very rusty indeed andvthe wiring connections could do with replacing so am getting a new one of these and it makes sense to replace the fuel line too. Some might think I am going a bit over the top :lol: but once this job is done it will hopefully do me for good. Be interesting to see what the inside of mine is like after all these years but when I get it fitted I will try to remember to take some pics. Cheers guys :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: But I do love what nick has really transformed the top and now the bottom it’s a real credit to him .
Thanks Jason. Much appreciated fella :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I did consider buying a new tank when Martin first announced that they were available, but in my position (sat down at the moment :) ) it's not worth the expense. The fuel tank is in fine fettle on the inside. Some surface rust does appear on the outside where the two halves are joined, so every couple of years I simply take the exterior back to bare metal, apply rust treatment and repaint the tank. I swish out the inside and then I'm good to go for another few years. That works well for me.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That good inside is all good Andrew ,yes mine is covered in dintrol so it’s cake on . What was redone 2 years ago .

I
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hi guys, yep I thought the 'if it aint broke leave it alone" would pop up :lol: . Guys I been doing a lot of work underneath and the tank does need a refurb but when Martin announced he was getting good quality new tanks I thought I might as well replace with a nice new one. I did not put this up high on jobs to do but thought might as well get it done now just in case stock supplies become more difficult to buy. This was Martins last one till his next batch. My sender unit is very rusty indeed andvthe wiring connections could do with replacing so am getting a new one of these and it makes sense to replace the fuel line too. Some might think I am going a bit over the top :lol: but once this job is done it will hopefully do me for good. Be interesting to see what the inside of mine is like after all these years but when I get it fitted I will try to remember to take some pics. Cheers guys :)
Hi Nick, I wish I hadn't changed my master cylinder for a new one. And I also wish I hadn't thrown the old one in the bin thinking I'd never fit a second hand one on the car :banghead:

I'll be interested to know how good your old one is inside. I'm in the same situation as Andrew, the tank on my car is fairly good and it just doesn't make sense to change it. Having said that I've spent loads on my Capri since owning it and I loved every purchase :D

All the best
Neil
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Peter-S wrote:Clear lacquer
Thanks very much Peter. I wanted to deffo keep it Silver so will apply some Clear Lacquer then like you say. Cheers mate. :)
No problem Nick. Not sure if you've come across the store but you can probably find lacquer in a place called 'Halfords' :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote:No problem Nick. Not sure if you've come across the store but you can probably find lacquer in a place called 'Halfords' :D
:lol: This "Halfords" place rings a bell Peter....am sure there is some jolly guy on this forum who has a disturbing obsession with one of their products...hmmmm.....cant remember who it was now...... or what product it was come to think of it :P
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

sheff wrote:
I say change it if it needs changing, otherwise leave it alone.
It's a excellent train of thought actually.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I totally understand Nick's point of view.
Sometimes you just have to do things for no other reason than because you want to.
If Nick wants to fit a new fuel tank because it compliments the work that has been done on the underside of his car, then good on him I say.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Could this be our nick at nextyears avents ?

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I totally understand Nick's point of view.
Sometimes you just have to do things for no other reason than because you want to.
If Nick wants to fit a new fuel tank because it compliments the work that has been done on the underside of his car, then good on him I say.
Hi Andrew,

Cheers Andrew :)

Yep you aint wrong mate. I been planning this underside resto for a long time mate....always had it on my to do list but have been busy with loads of other stuff to do so put it to one side but so pleased I am now getting it done bit by bit and the fuel tank was always one of the items I wanted to do so when these new ones came on the scene I really wanted one...simple as that....hope this dont make me a "knobhead" on Pauls chart :lol:

Plus the fact that the likes of Martin himself praised these tanks very highly as a very good quality item i just had to buy one. I had plans to buy one from him at the start of the year when his first batch was due in as i expressed a pre-order interest at the time but other jobs popped up and I had to pass on it but now seemed the perfect time to treat myself and B112 to one !! I am also getting a new sender unit from him too then will replace the fuel line for peace of mind too. Will get Tickover to fit it all for me.

TBH mate when I clambered underneath yours at QS last time we were all there it really gave me the inspiration to start on mine underneath. Yours is absolutely outstanding mate so if mine is anywhere near as nice as yours I will be very happy !!

Thanks again Andrew

All the best

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:43 am, edited 3 times in total.