New Ford on my driveway

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am

pbar wrote:Very nice Neil, one of the few modern cars I can appreciate actually. And I like the way these cars have become part of a motoring enthusiasts world, many people being passionate about them.

Those gates are good in front of the garage, gives double protection.


Hi Paul,
I think they are a great classic of the future and certainly attract the younger Ford enthusiasts. If my son looks after this one I can only see it going up in value as good ones become rarer.

Yeah the gates were their before the garage door and I thought it would add bit of extra protection, so left them up :)

fordperv
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm
Car(s): too many
Location: stoke on trent

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby fordperv » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Looks a nice motor, please tell me he isn't going to have a pop and bang map on it :deadhorse:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 pm

fordperv wrote:Looks a nice motor, please tell me he isn't going to have a pop and bang map on it :deadhorse:

:cheese: Had one go past the house last night what a racket :doh:

A stage 1 map will give enough pops to still be sensible :cheers:

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:54 pm

andyd wrote:
fordperv wrote:Looks a nice motor, please tell me he isn't going to have a pop and bang map on it :deadhorse:

:cheese: Had one go past the house last night what a racket :doh:

A stage 1 map will give enough pops to still be sensible :cheers:


The car did have a big and loud stainless system when we agreed to buy it, which my son promised to change ASAP. Before we picked the car up he checked out the MOT online only to see it had run out last month. A quick call to the dealer and they promised to get a fresh MOT done.....

Then as he was going to get it they phoned to say it had failed due to the exhaust. I thought it may have had a de-cat fitted, however they promised to get the problem sorted by the following week. In the mean time he found a buyer for his old car and managed to get himself an extra £500 pounds against what the dealer had offered P/X :) We picked up the car and to my delight they had fitted a good standard system :D My son looked a bit disappointed as he thought he could sell on the stainless exhaust to make a bit of money. He offered to buy the exhaust off them, but then they said they had sold it!!! I thought it all sounded a bit fishy, but overall I was happy that he had a standard system and IMO it sounds perfect and I think it runs a lot better.
The car was also fitted with some silly wheel spacers on the back. These were removed today and he sold them on for £40. That will cover his fuel bill for next week :lol:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:25 am

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:
fordperv wrote:Looks a nice motor, please tell me he isn't going to have a pop and bang map on it :deadhorse:

:cheese: Had one go past the house last night what a racket :doh:

A stage 1 map will give enough pops to still be sensible :cheers:


The car did have a big and loud stainless system when we agreed to buy it, which my son promised to change ASAP. Before we picked the car up he checked out the MOT online only to see it had run out last month. A quick call to the dealer and they promised to get a fresh MOT done.....


I had a Cobra non resonated exhaust on my last one, and that was just right :)

Daz-RSK
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby Daz-RSK » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Very nice car! These and the Mondeo ST220 are probably the stand out motors for me, of recent times, as they look aggressive enough and are aggressive to suit. The later Focus ST is, IMHO, not as aggressive looking as these Mk2's.

The only issue with 300bhp going through the front wheels on these is that they did not have the Revo Knuckle set up of the RS, which effectively kept the front wheels on the ground with that sort power and torque. But they are a great 5 pot lump and don't forget, not only did Ford place 300 through them (350 on the RS500), but Volvo had some power going through these as well. So they are a very respectable engine, even if they'll wheel spin everywhere. Nothing wrong with that - just need a bank balance for the tyres. :lol:

Pop along to Mountune - there will be a dealer near you - and see what your son can pick up. Mountune were Ford's preferred tuners for these and you can see a safe 300. But more than that, they mess about with the torque to make it a faster car than a standard 300 bolt on. Mountune performance was warranty backed by Ford. Not that this is a concern today, given the age of the motor. But shows what trust Ford had in using that company to tune the 5 pot up.

If you look on their site, he can see what he can buy and see where the local dealer is, for questions and have a chat to.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 am

Daz-RSK wrote:
Pop along to Mountune - there will be a dealer near you - and see what your son can pick up. Mountune were Ford's preferred tuners for these and you can see a safe 300. But more than that, they mess about with the torque to make it a faster car than a standard 300 bolt on. Mountune performance was warranty backed by Ford. Not that this is a concern today, given the age of the motor. But shows what trust Ford had in using that company to tune the 5 pot up.

If you look on their site, he can see what he can buy and see where the local dealer is, for questions and have a chat to.

When I went to look at my last ST, it was advertised as standard which is what I wanted, but on the test drive I could tell it had been mapped as I'd had one before and this felt the same if not quicker. But because it was such a tidy car I went for it.
Once I'd bought it, I rang Mountune and Superchips but neither had records of the car but both recommended a bigger intercooler just incase it boiled itself...So I put a Radtec Intercooler and Cobra catback no resonated exhaust on it hoping it would now be safe.

Then I gave a Ford dealer a call who had serviced the car on a few occasions, they remembered the car and told me it had a Code Red remap to 265 bhp which was safe on standard equipment!!! (This was very much the same as the current Mountune map) So one exhaust and Intercooler that weren't really needed then :doh: But it did improve performance even more :)
Always nice to see paperwork for this sort of thing.

According to Neil, his sons car has enough power anyway :lol: But I would always like to know what map it has incase of any issues.

Standard intercooler which can be seen easily behind bumper https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=focus ... ddU7rKATBM: Any bigger it's upgraded!

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 pm

andyd wrote:
According to Neil, his sons car has enough power anyway :lol: But I would always like to know what map it has incase of any issues.

Standard intercooler which can be seen easily behind bumper https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=focus ... ddU7rKATBM: Any bigger it's upgraded!


My sons car has a standard intercooler which looks a bit battered, so he's thinking of replacing it with an upgraded one. Hopefully that will keep the temperatures down.

Yeah it would be nice to find out what map it has. We can see the last 2 owners on the log book, so he could try contacting them and ask. It would be interesting to find out if it was mapped before it had a standard exhaust, as it seems a lot quicker that that it has returned to having a standard exhaust.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:46 pm

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:
According to Neil, his sons car has enough power anyway :lol: But I would always like to know what map it has incase of any issues.

Standard intercooler which can be seen easily behind bumper https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=focus ... ddU7rKATBM: Any bigger it's upgraded!


My sons car has a standard intercooler which looks a bit battered, so he's thinking of replacing it with an upgraded one. Hopefully that will keep the temperatures down.

Yeah it would be nice to find out what map it has. We can see the last 2 owners on the log book, so he could try contacting them and ask. It would be interesting to find out if it was mapped before it had a standard exhaust, as it seems a lot quicker that that it has returned to having a standard exhaust.

Amazes me why people don't keep receipts for this sort of thing :?
We await any news :)

:goodluck:

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 am

andyd wrote:
sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:
According to Neil, his sons car has enough power anyway :lol: But I would always like to know what map it has incase of any issues.

Standard intercooler which can be seen easily behind bumper https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=focus ... ddU7rKATBM: Any bigger it's upgraded!


My sons car has a standard intercooler which looks a bit battered, so he's thinking of replacing it with an upgraded one. Hopefully that will keep the temperatures down.

Yeah it would be nice to find out what map it has. We can see the last 2 owners on the log book, so he could try contacting them and ask. It would be interesting to find out if it was mapped before it had a standard exhaust, as it seems a lot quicker that that it has returned to having a standard exhaust.

Amazes me why people don't keep receipts for this sort of thing :?
We await any news :)

:goodluck:


The car is going on a rolling road tomorrow. I'll get some photo's posted over the weekend :D

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 am

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:
sheff wrote:
My sons car has a standard intercooler which looks a bit battered, so he's thinking of replacing it with an upgraded one. Hopefully that will keep the temperatures down.

Yeah it would be nice to find out what map it has. We can see the last 2 owners on the log book, so he could try contacting them and ask. It would be interesting to find out if it was mapped before it had a standard exhaust, as it seems a lot quicker that that it has returned to having a standard exhaust.

Amazes me why people don't keep receipts for this sort of thing :?
We await any news :)

:goodluck:


The car is going on a rolling road tomorrow. I'll get some photo's posted over the weekend :D

I reckon, 275 bhp max :wave:
The logbook doesn't show the previous keeper now.....So unless you have a receipt/invoice amongst any paperwork with their address or phone number, you can't contact them as I have done in the past, and I have been contacted too.

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 pm

andyd wrote:I reckon, 275 bhp max :wave:
The logbook doesn't show the previous keeper now.....So unless you have a receipt/invoice amongst any paperwork with their address or phone number, you can't contact them as I have done in the past, and I have been contacted too.


You're right Andy. Due to data protection we can no longer see the previous owner on the log book. I wish now I took a photo of the log book the dealer showed me :banghead:

275 bhp is a good shout, I'm assuming you mean corrected at the engine. I'm still thinking its close to 300 bhp, perhaps a little over coz it scares me so much :o or I'm just a girl.

A chap at work had one tuned to 360 bhp by Dreamscience in Hull, but that was more than a remap. That must have been really :o :shock: :drive:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:09 pm

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:I reckon, 275 bhp max :wave:
The logbook doesn't show the previous keeper now.....So unless you have a receipt/invoice amongst any paperwork with their address or phone number, you can't contact them as I have done in the past, and I have been contacted too.


You're right Andy. Due to data protection we can no longer see the previous owner on the log book. I wish now I took a photo of the log book the dealer showed me :banghead:

275 bhp is a good shout, I'm assuming you mean corrected at the engine. I'm still thinking its close to 300 bhp, perhaps a little over coz it scares me so much :o or I'm just a girl.

A chap at work had one tuned to 360 bhp by Dreamscience in Hull, but that was more than a remap. That must have been really :o :shock: :drive:

I think we often confuse bhp with torque. My first ST had 260 bhp, but 347ft/lbs (470nm) torque.....Quick car :drive:

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11741
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:15 pm

andyd wrote:The logbook doesn't show the previous keeper now.....

Well I never, I didn't know that. That's taking data protection to the extreme.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:52 pm

andyd wrote:
sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:I reckon, 275 bhp max :wave:
The logbook doesn't show the previous keeper now.....So unless you have a receipt/invoice amongst any paperwork with their address or phone number, you can't contact them as I have done in the past, and I have been contacted too.


You're right Andy. Due to data protection we can no longer see the previous owner on the log book. I wish now I took a photo of the log book the dealer showed me :banghead:

275 bhp is a good shout, I'm assuming you mean corrected at the engine. I'm still thinking its close to 300 bhp, perhaps a little over coz it scares me so much :o or I'm just a girl.

A chap at work had one tuned to 360 bhp by Dreamscience in Hull, but that was more than a remap. That must have been really :o :shock: :drive:

I think we often confuse bhp with torque. My first ST had 260 bhp, but 347ft/lbs (470nm) torque.....Quick car :drive:


Well the results are below..... A lot lower than I expected BHP wise but a massive amount of torque, which I guess is why the thing feels so quick.

Image

Image

Image

Image


The chaps that tested it thought it was a good remap with no over fuelling and were impressed with the extra 100 lbs-ft of torque over the standard car. We walked away happy in the knowledge that the engine and clutch should be reasonably reliable.

Video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxMcy9gFO8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wllvH1XPzcg&feature=youtu.be

mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm
Car(s): Diamond White Mk3 Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey (obviously) Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby mjcapri » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:42 am

Interesting results! It would be interesting to know what map it’s running to produce such a small power increase but all that extra torque, especially as the guys were happy with how it was running. You’d think there was something amiss somewhere but clearly not.

The MK2 ST is a great car, I really miss mine. Definite future classic along with the MK7 Fiesta ST.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:54 am

mjcapri wrote:Interesting results! It would be interesting to know what map it’s running to produce such a small power increase but all that extra torque, especially as the guys were happy with how it was running. You’d think there was something amiss somewhere but clearly not.


:agree: don't know of any 240bhp remap :?

Anyway, torque is better and low down torque too :D

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby sheff » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:40 am

andyd wrote:
mjcapri wrote:Interesting results! It would be interesting to know what map it’s running to produce such a small power increase but all that extra torque, especially as the guys were happy with how it was running. You’d think there was something amiss somewhere but clearly not.


:agree: don't know of any 240bhp remap :?

Anyway, torque is better and low down torque too :D


Good point 240bhp is a little strange as they normally start at 260ish. Despite my sons heavy right foot he seems to be getting about 25 mpg, so maybe this is a custom map more in keeping with fuel economy than outright performance. As you can see from the torque curve you can drive it sedately and it still pulls strong a bit like a diesel car.

Future plans for the car is to fit an RS clutch, bigger intercooler and a more free flowing exhaust. Then it will be ready for a more radical remap.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5385
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Postby andyd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:31 am

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:
mjcapri wrote:Interesting results! It would be interesting to know what map it’s running to produce such a small power increase but all that extra torque, especially as the guys were happy with how it was running. You’d think there was something amiss somewhere but clearly not.


:agree: don't know of any 240bhp remap :?

Anyway, torque is better and low down torque too :D


Good point 240bhp is a little strange as they normally start at 260ish. Despite my sons heavy right foot he seems to be getting about 25 mpg, so maybe this is a custom map more in keeping with fuel economy than outright performance. As you can see from the torque curve you can drive it sedately and it still pulls strong a bit like a diesel car.

Future plans for the car is to fit an RS clutch, bigger intercooler and a more free flowing exhaust. Then it will be ready for a more radical remap.

For comparison here is the Stage 1 Superchip graph
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/FocusSTStage1.pdf
Stage 2 with replacement air intake system and good quality replacement Sports-Cat
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/Focu ... Stage2.pdf
Stage 3 with replacement air intake system, good quality replacement Sports-Cat & full exhaust system including downpipe and up-rated intercooler http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/Focu ... Stage3.pdf

My first ST had had a Stage 2 but only reached 260 bhp, although produced more torque than the Stage 3 :headscratch:
Superchips said it must be a fueling issue, but nothing to worry about.

Second ST felt quicker at 260+ bhp but with unknown torque....


:goodluck: