New Ford on my driveway

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

New Ford on my driveway

Post by sheff »

Not mine but son has got the Ford bug and bought this little beauty. Say's He's going to all the Ford shows next year in it :D

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: New Ford on my driveway

Post by andyd »

Hi Neil,
Nice car, and great colour :D
IF(?) driven carefully quite economical too.

Keep an eye open for water leaks in the boot area, sometimes it comes in through the spoiler fixing bolts and/or rear lights!

:goodluck:
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote:Hi Neil,
Nice car, and great colour :D
IF(?) driven carefully quite economical too.

Keep an eye open for water leaks in the boot area, sometimes it comes in through the spoiler fixing bolts and/or rear lights!

:goodluck:
Nice one Andy, it does have a small leak in the boot I'll get him to check those areas out :applaud: And yeah he knows his fuel bill is going to go up, hopefully it will slow him down a bit :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Very nice ST in the best colour.
Good to see that your son has listened to your incessant nagging and finally bought a Ford! :D

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Nice choice Neil, hope he has fun in it :cheers:
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Very nice ST in the best colour.
Good to see that your son has listened to your incessant nagging and finally bought a Ford! :D

Andrew.
Yeah finally he's getting some good taste in cars :D
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Nice choice Neil, hope he has fun in it :cheers:
I'm sure he will Rob...... He's already started a shopping list of what he's needs to do with it. I guess he got that off me :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Can’t go wrong with the st also loads of mods can be done . Very nice
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

sheff wrote:Yeah finally he's getting some good taste in cars :D
Runs in the family! Your daughter's got a Ford as well hasn't she? I seem to remember you saying something about a Ka some time ago.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Believe me,they map really well to 275 bhp on o/e exhaust, air filter and intercooler http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make ... &variant=2 And may well aid fuel consumption too, but the standard clutch will probably die.... RS Clutch is the way to go :drive:

Makes it the car Ford should have made :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Believe me,they map really well to 275 bhp
That much? To me, 275 BHP through the front wheels sounds like quite a wild ride..... :drive:

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

The RS, with basically the same 5 pot engine (albeit lower compression and a marginally different cam profile) puts out way more, so the ST can certainly be tweaked.

A few years ago earlier, if anyone had suggested to me that Ford's fastest medium sized car would one day have a Volvo engine with an odd number of cylinders I'd have thought them certifiably insane. Now it just seems one of the sanest fairly recent decisions Ford made.

Ive recently helped rebuild an engine on an ST 225 and took the precaution of getting the pistons, con rods and crank balanced and fitting stainless shims between the cylinder liners.
Those mods are regarded as making the engine safer to map to 300+ bhp. Without them the safe limit is generally accepted to be 275 bhp, mainly because of the fear of the liners moving and hence cracking at sustained high rpm.

It still does though seem an awful lot for a front wheel drive car. Complex damn engine to work on. Change the oil more regularly than Ford state, particularly if it has been used for short runs. Better still flush it through with some flushing oil during the oil change.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
sheff wrote:Yeah finally he's getting some good taste in cars :D
Runs in the family! Your daughter's got a Ford as well hasn't she? I seem to remember you saying something about a Ka some time ago.

Andrew.
She killed the Ka Andrew..... Both my daughters have Fiat 500's now, which is basically a new Ka and is actually quite a nice car to drive.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote:Believe me,they map really well to 275 bhp on o/e exhaust, air filter and intercooler http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make ... &variant=2 And may well aid fuel consumption too, but the standard clutch will probably die.... RS Clutch is the way to go :drive:

Well Andy that is so true. I drove the car last night and this one is definately pulling at least 275 BHP and I believe the torque figure goes up beyond 400Nm even with a stage 1 remap. The tyres are constantly fighting for grip even as your hitting 80mph. Its mental, I haven't driven anything that feels so quick since I rode sports motorcycles!
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Believe me,they map really well to 275 bhp
That much? To me, 275 BHP through the front wheels sounds like quite a wild ride..... :drive:

Andrew.
It is too much really, but unbelievably exciting.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Not_Anumber wrote:The RS, with basically the same 5 pot engine (albeit lower compression and a marginally different cam profile) puts out way more, so the ST can certainly be tweaked.

A few years ago earlier, if anyone had suggested to me that Ford's fastest medium sized car would one day have a Volvo engine with an odd number of cylinders I'd have thought them certifiably insane. Now it just seems one of the sanest fairly recent decisions Ford made.

Ive recently helped rebuild an engine on an ST 225 and took the precaution of getting the pistons, con rods and crank balanced and fitting stainless shims between the cylinder liners.
Those mods are regarded as making the engine safer to map to 300+ bhp. Without them the safe limit is generally accepted to be 275 bhp, mainly because of the fear of the liners moving and hence cracking at sustained high rpm.

It still does though seem an awful lot for a front wheel drive car. Complex damn engine to work on. Change the oil more regularly than Ford state, particularly if it has been used for short runs. Better still flush it through with some flushing oil during the oil change.
My son had heard the liners can move. He said there is a mod that you can do when changing the cam belt. He's looking into this and will deffinately be changing the oil regularly!
The oil that is in the car currently looks super clean and I suspect this engine has been well serviced throughout its life as there is a lot of service history with the car and it is a reasonably low mileage and low ownership car for its age.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Very nice Neil, one of the few modern cars I can appreciate actually. And I like the way these cars have become part of a motoring enthusiasts world, many people being passionate about them.

Those gates are good in front of the garage, gives double protection.
andyd

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote:Believe me,they map really well to 275 bhp on o/e exhaust, air filter and intercooler http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make ... &variant=2 And may well aid fuel consumption too, but the standard clutch will probably die.... RS Clutch is the way to go :drive:

Well Andy that is so true. I drove the car last night and this one is definately pulling at least 275 BHP and I believe the torque figure goes up beyond 400Nm even with a stage 1 remap. The tyres are constantly fighting for grip even as your hitting 80mph. Its mental, I haven't driven anything that feels so quick since I rode sports motorcycles!
My Blue ST which I had a couple of years ago was a Code Red map to 265bhp on o/e equipment, but I put a bigger intercooler and catback exhaust on it and that flew.
Look at the boost gauge when you floor it. If it goes to the max (1.5 bar iirc) it's had a map, if it goes to around 3/4 it's in standard tune.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote: My Blue ST which I had a couple of years ago was a Code Red map to 265bhp on o/e equipment, but I put a bigger intercooler and catback exhaust on it and that flew.
Look at the boost gauge when you floor it. If it goes to the max (1.5 bar iirc) it's had a map, if it goes to around 3/4 it's in standard tune.
Yeah the boost gauge goes straight to the max when you floor it Andy. There is no way this is how the car left the showroom. We'll get it rolling road tested and see what power its putting out, but I wouldn't be surprised if its around the 300BHP figure!
andyd

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote: My Blue ST which I had a couple of years ago was a Code Red map to 265bhp on o/e equipment, but I put a bigger intercooler and catback exhaust on it and that flew.
Yeah the boost gauge goes straight to the max when you floor it Andy. There is no way this is how the car left the showroom. We'll get it rolling road tested and see what power its putting out, but I wouldn't be surprised if its around the 300BHP figure!
Would be interesting to see what it is producing.
If it is around 300, then a bigger intercooler would be a sensible idea before it cooks itself :shock: