Breakdown Cover

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by pbar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 am

One thing many people may not realise is that your bank may offer breakdown cover. Mine does, for £12 a month, and it's personal cover so doesn't matter what car you are in. Bizarrely, I think it includes other things too such as losing your mobile phone.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by D366Y » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am

pbar wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 am
One thing many people may not realise is that your bank may offer breakdown cover. Mine does, for £12 a month, and it's personal cover so doesn't matter what car you are in. Bizarrely, I think it includes other things too such as losing your mobile phone.
If you have a premium account or razz like that I think it's quite common - had a mate break down once and luckily someone in the car had it so used it, pretty handy and for £144 quid a year is cheaper than most traditional breakdown cover!

tejb1
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6L (weekend/holidays)

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by tejb1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 am

pbar wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:28 am
tejb1 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am
I had a moment a while ago when I realised that I hadn't got all the 'modifications' listed. Although for me this is simply a K&N filter and a Sportex exhaust (and a 34ICH carb instead of a VV), I did a bit of reading up and discovered that even if wholly unrelated to the accident, it's possible to have the insurers refuse to pay out if you haven't declared such things. It put my premium up by £15 but at least I'm fully insured.
That's very interesting, I bet many on here have done modifications much greater that those and haven't thought they where important enough to warrant declaring them.

It doesn't surprise me that insurance companies do all they can to wiggle out of paying when you need them to. Insurance is supposed to give you total peace of mind, it's anything but that.The system needs a complete overhaul.
Exactly. I didn't think I'd have to declare them as modifications on the grounds that they are not giving a huge increase in performance and, for example, replacing a VV with a 34ICH is pretty much an equivalent carb. It's not like it has a new engine or something in it. However, having done a bit of research online and speaking to them on the phone, they said anything that wasn't original fit needed to be declared.

Unfortunately, as you say, insurers are notorious for avoiding paying out. If someone, say, put an upgraded interior in, didn't declare it, then went into a ditch, they'd struggle to show that the interior caused them to have the accident, but would cause difficulty in getting the payout no doubt.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Lord Flasheart wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 am
Blimey, is that renewal just for breakdown cover or actual car insurance ??
The breakdown cover is more than I'm paying for insurance on both cars!
That renewal price is for personal cover, so I'm covered whatever I'm driving or am a passenger in. That's with home start, relay and stay mobile.


Andrew.
Image

Lord Flasheart
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:19 pm
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Lord Flasheart » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 pm
Lord Flasheart wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 am
Blimey, is that renewal just for breakdown cover or actual car insurance ??
The breakdown cover is more than I'm paying for insurance on both cars!
That renewal price is for personal cover, so I'm covered whatever I'm driving or am a passenger in. That's with home start, relay and stay mobile.


Andrew.
Ouch :banghead: :banghead:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6535
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by andyd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Just had my renewal for the Capri from Start Rescue £47.49!

Not had to use them yet so not sure what the service is like as/when required.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm

andyd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm
Just had my renewal for the Capri from Start Rescue £47.49!

Not had to use them yet so not sure what the service is like as/when required.
Hmm, a big difference between the two quotes. What cover is included for £47.49?

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6535
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by andyd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm
andyd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm
Just had my renewal for the Capri from Start Rescue £47.49!

Not had to use them yet so not sure what the service is like as/when required.
Hmm, a big difference between the two quotes. What cover is included for £47.49?

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
It's the 3 star option https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown ... gLto_D_BwE

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Well, I finally got around to doing the dance with the nice man from the AA.
He did say that as I've only been with them for 3 consecutive years, I wouldn't be entitled to the same sort of loyalty discount that long-term members would get. However, a 16.66% discount was definitely worth five minutes of my time. :)

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6535
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by andyd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm
Well, I finally got around to doing the dance with the nice man from the AA.
He did say that as I've only been with them for 3 consecutive years, I wouldn't be entitled to the same sort of loyalty discount that long-term members would get. However, a 16.66% discount was definitely worth five minutes of my time. :)

Andrew.
It's better to have any amount of money in your pocket than theirs Andrew :)

Paid for mine last week along with car insurance so all sorted for another year :cheers:

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3010
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Jasonmarie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Every penny counts . Always pays to ring
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:08 pm
Every penny counts . Always pays to ring
:agree: I've saved enough money to have my wheels powdercoated. Mrs Jasonmarie told me that she knows somewhere that can do it for £10 a wheel.... :lol:
andyd wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:21 pm
Paid for mine last week along with car insurance so all sorted for another year :cheers:
My Insurance renewal is due next month. That's something to look forward to!

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3010
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Jasonmarie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:58 am

:lol: she had a new cooker this year :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

tejb1
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6L (weekend/holidays)

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by tejb1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm
Well, I finally got around to doing the dance with the nice man from the AA.
He did say that as I've only been with them for 3 consecutive years, I wouldn't be entitled to the same sort of loyalty discount that long-term members would get. However, a 16.66% discount was definitely worth five minutes of my time. :)

Andrew.
So, he was a nice man, but not a very very nice man!

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:31 am

tejb1 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 am
So, he was a nice man, but not a very very nice man!
:lol:
You're showing your age there Tom!

Andrew.
Image

Post Reply