Breakdown Cover

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11345
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:16 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:I think and hope you don’t think I have gone mad ( you all think that anyway ) that’s the 2.8i should be £20k and our lasers should be around the £12k mark .
What’s your thoughts ?

Hi Jason,
My personal view is that the prices of the cars seem to have stabilised for the time being, and because of that I think you might have difficulty getting the insurance company to agree to those values. That being said, it depends on the car and the insurance company.
I would place the value of a typical (if there is such a thing) 2.8 at £12-16K and a Laser at £7-9K. Obviously exceptional cars would be valued higher.

By the way, I see you're paying for a Flickr Pro subscription now.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby Jasonmarie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Yes you could be right on the figures it’s hard to get prices right sometime .

Off topic , O yes but I have not paid for anything , but I looked at my name on there and it says PRO after it . I had not used it for years until I started looking at your pictures and was unpressed and since started using again . All how would you pay for Pro ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11345
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:14 am

Jasonmarie wrote:All how would you pay for Pro ?

The subscription auto renews, I assume by direct debit or by credid card. Could you have signed up for it years ago and have been paying for it since?
It costs $4.17 (£3.18) a month, so not a big amount but a waste of money if you are not using the benefits that come with the service.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby Jasonmarie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 am

I had a look lastnight and could not work it out it’s loaded on my I pad and that’s the only device . My only thought is it’s to do with Yahoo and BT use Yahoo Plates Forms and perhaps it comes free with BT .

It’s in Marie’s Name as well so when I asked her she did not know what I was talking about .

I am going to use the main computer today to see if that has anything to do with the Pro . I looked on line at any standing orders or direct debits and can’t see anything .

It’s strange ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby D366Y » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:I think and hope you don’t think I have gone mad ( you all think that anyway ) that’s the 2.8i should be £20k and our lasers should be around the £12k mark .
What’s your thoughts ?

Hi Jason,
My personal view is that the prices of the cars seem to have stabilised for the time being, and because of that I think you might have difficulty getting the insurance company to agree to those values. That being said, it depends on the car and the insurance company.
I would place the value of a typical (if there is such a thing) 2.8 at £12-16K and a Laser at £7-9K. Obviously exceptional cars would be valued higher.

By the way, I see you're paying for a Flickr Pro subscription now.

Andrew.


This is an interesting point because I've agreed the value on both of my (distinctly average-at-best) cars at £7k - not sure how the accepted it - even at the time I thought I was over-egging it a bit, but I guess it depends on what the agreed value is actually for and whether it's of any worth? The insurers always say that the agreed value isn't the amount they will pay out if it is written off, and in a different conversation I was told that a car is written off if 69% of the cars value needs to be spent to repair it. Whether that % is accurate or not I'm not sure (the source isn't usually very reliable!) but maybe that just means that if I agreed the value at 10k, and 7k needs to be spent after a crash they will write it off, and then decide to actually only pay me 4k because thats what they say/think the car is worth?

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby Jasonmarie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:56 pm

That’s interesting Dan as I always led to belive they paid out what you say it’s worth . See the problem is and I hope we never come to even have this conversation is if something did happen what would they pay ?
Also I do wonder what our cars are really worth as the work we all put in to our cars is worth more then Money .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11345
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Breakdown Cover

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:18 pm

D366Y wrote:This is an interesting point because I've agreed the value on both of my (distinctly average-at-best) cars at £7k - not sure how the accepted it - even at the time I thought I was over-egging it a bit

If the worst happens, I would hope that you would get the full agreed valuation out of your insurance company. After all, they have agreed that is what the car is worth.
I'd say your agreed value is there or thereabouts. How much would you have to spend to buy another comparable car? I would say it would be around £6- £7K, then you'd have to buy the extras, stereo, exhaust etc. on top of that.

Andrew.
Image