Another Capri Stolen....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Do agree we had a house up the road that a gang used baseball bats on the adults and they were left in a very bad state , and the police are no where to be seen any more .
It’s look after yourself and I can see many people starting to keep guns at home soon just so your one in front .
I did look at our house after that programme and must say I would go next door as my Alarm box was flashing away and the red lights on the cctv are nice and bright .
I've got this chap looking after my Capri. He might look cuddly, but I wouldn't want to mess with him.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: I've got this chap looking after my Capri. He might look cuddly, but I wouldn't want to mess with him.

Andrew.
We have 4 of them indoors in different guises :D Great tea too :cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

After decades of drivers putting a key in an ignition barrel and turning it, why suddenly make a device that you still have to have on you to unlock and start the car, but can now be scanned :shock:
Is it suddenly too hard to turn a key :?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

How much tea did you have to get him ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote:Nick, have you got your garage defender fitted yet
Hi Andy. Nope not fitted my defender yet mate. As I have no power at my garage and the floor is solid concrete my portable drill wont be up for the job. One of my neighbours said he has a tradesman power drill up to it and he has a defender he wants to fit too so its finding the time to do it. But should get it done soon i know ! Might ask John if he has such a drill ?
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
andyd wrote:Nick, have you got your garage defender fitted yet
Hi Andy. Nope not fitted my defender yet mate. As I have no power at my garage and the floor is solid concrete my portable drill wont be up for the job. One of my neighbours said he has a tradesman power drill up to it and he has a defender he wants to fit too so its finding the time to do it. But should get it done soon i know ! Might ask John if he has such a drill ?
You wait on certain people you can wait forever :roll:

At least you have it ready to go :)

:goodluck:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: we had a house up the road that a gang used baseball bats on the adults and they were left in a very bad state ,
That's terrible. What were the gang after? It must have been more than just a car.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:After decades of drivers putting a key in an ignition barrel and turning it, why suddenly make a device that you still have to have on you to unlock and start the car, but can now be scanned :shock:
Two reasons I can think of:
1. Some ignition barrels can easily be overcome by an oik with a screwdriver. Despite their flaws, the newer systems do offer more protection to the car.
2. The same reason why it's necessary to have headlights that switch on automatically. Lazy drivers who cherish mostly pointless gadgets.
I do see the need for technology progressing though, as long as it has a practical purpose. After all, if Alexander Graham Bell hadn't felt the need to improve things, we'd still be using two yoghurt pots connected by a piece of string to communicate with each other.... :lol:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:After decades of drivers putting a key in an ignition barrel and turning it, why suddenly make a device that you still have to have on you to unlock and start the car, but can now be scanned :shock:
Two reasons I can think of:
1. Some ignition barrels can easily be overcome by an oik with a screwdriver. Despite their flaws, the newer systems do offer more protection to the car.
2. The same reason why it's necessary to have headlights that switch on automatically. Lazy drivers who cherish mostly pointless gadgets.
I do see the need for technology progressing though, as long as it has a practical purpose. After all, if Alexander Graham Bell hadn't felt the need to improve things, we'd still be using two yoghurt pots connected by a piece of string to communicate with each other.... :lol:

Andrew.
Always someone somehow that will abuse technology..... This keyless thing is currently a bad idea imo
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote: we had a house up the road that a gang used baseball bats on the adults and they were left in a very bad state ,
That's terrible. What were the gang after? It must have been more than just a car.

Andrew.
Here’s what happened

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/n ... -up-21119/
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Here’s what happened
Oh dear, that's terrible.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes funny as I thought it was only the other year but a little longer , it’s only a small village here and you forget that the city is so close at times . I don’t think the couple live there any more .
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Just seen this online, it's happened twice in the north London area apparently. They just tow a car away, so quicker than a hiab....frightening

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/crime-caught ... arked-car/
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Jasonmarie wrote:Only worry is if Warwick Davis try having the car away.
PMSL!!!!

On a serious note, a Disclock is a great deterrent when you’re out and about or if the car is parked overnight on your drive. We use them on our Focus and Fiesta due them both being models which are stolen regularly even though ours are garaged; it’s another layer of security. Layered security is what it’s about, all you can do is make your car as difficult to steal and therefore as unattractive to thieves as possible.

It’s a good idea to extend the above approach to your home too, as breaking in to find keys is increasingly common. We can zone our intruder alarm so that any movement downstairs during the night will activate it. Simple but I don’t know anybody else who has an alarm with this ability, or maybe they just don’t realise they do. Most dogs are a good substitute, the little sods next door to us are paranoid though which wears thin at 2am most mornings!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Nope not fitted my defender yet mate. As I have no power at my garage and the floor is solid concrete my portable drill wont be up for the job.
If Aldi have the rechargeable 24v hammer drills in stock near you Nick, it's definitely worth a buy. Very powerful, the best I've used which is cordless. I have drilled half inch holes in concrete with mine. I was that impressed I bought another (as they were cheap enough), just to have a second battery.

Has to be the larger 24v one though as below, not the smaller range which they also have.

pbar

Post by pbar »

mjcapri wrote:We can zone our intruder alarm so that any movement downstairs during the night will activate it. Simple but I don’t know anybody else who has an alarm with this ability
I think it's a pretty standard feature that to be honest.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

pbar wrote:
mjcapri wrote:We can zone our intruder alarm so that any movement downstairs during the night will activate it. Simple but I don’t know anybody else who has an alarm with this ability
Yes I would have thought so too, so a lot of people don’t read the manual then!
pbar

Post by pbar »

mjcapri wrote:
pbar wrote:
Yes I would have thought so too, so a lot of people don’t read the manual then!
Yes, or the alarm installer doesn't just say, press this button here to arm the whole downstairs when you go to bed!
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

mjcapri wrote: Most dogs are a good substitute
Dogs are a fantastic deterrent, I've always had German shepherds and I find people give them a wide berth, I for one wouldn't like to be on the bitey end of one.
pbar

Post by pbar »

And if you haven't got a dog, you can still leave a chewed up doggy toy on your driveway, etc. Someone creeping around in the dead of night up to no good wants quiet, the chance of a noisy dog will put many off.