Another Capri Stolen....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Daz-RSK
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Daz-RSK » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

You can buy pedal locks. From what I remember (although some of you may know better how these work), a block is positioned behind the pedals and physically locks to the pedal(s). Therefore, you actually can't move any of them.

Personally, it sounds like a great deterrent because to get a grinder in behind the pedals is difficult. It just causes the would be thief more time to break free. Difficult at that as well.

But in terms of visibility, it's not really a deterrent. It can' be seen. That means damage to your car before it is found. To me, you want to stop the damage to the locks / door before they attempt to steal. Also, a bit of a pain to set up each time, I would imagine, by its positioning.


Edit - actually, if you would like to think outside the motor, I would invest in one of these. These are brilliant. You fix them up on the wall and link them to your phone. Your phone calls you to tell you there is movement in the vicinity. You can even talk to the person moving around. Just looks like a doorbell ringer. We have 2 of them - one on the front, one of the rear. A doorbell button but with a CCTV / communication piece.

It might look strange next to the garage door but for the cost, could be a saver of the motor.

https://en-uk.ring.com/products/video-d ... lsrc=aw.ds

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Jasonmarie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes my rear camera can alert me when there is somebody there or at the front camera at the door . It’s a great system and it only goes when it has a heat source of a good size so birds and cats doesn’t set it off as yet .only worry is if Warwick Davis try having the car away .
I also have the night hawk cameras that I can read number plates and get a full 1080p picture and film with a months worth recorded .
So I think I must of tick ever single box I can . Yes have seen them door bells but for what they are my system knows when we live the house via a app on our phones so don’t get texts all the time when we are in .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 am

ITV 7.30 this evening, a programme on car theft.

Admittedly focusing on modern cars with keyless entry etc, but I heard a mention on Jeremy Vine from Rav Wilding, that Krooklocks and visible deterrents still work in putting off theives :cheers:

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Jasonmarie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for heads up Andy
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 am

Jasonmarie wrote:Thanks for heads up Andy

:wave:
Nick, have you got your garage defender fitted yet :?: :?:

Anyone else interested in garage door security, this is the one I have on my rental garage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-gar ... rk:13:pf:0

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11745
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm

andyd wrote:ITV 7.30 this evening, a programme on car theft.

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds as if it is definitely worth watching.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:ITV 7.30 this evening, a programme on car theft.

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds as if it is definitely worth watching.

Andrew.

It appears the Disklok is definately worth using even on new cars!!

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11745
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm

andyd wrote:It appears the Disklok is definately worth using even on new cars!!


Missed it! :doh: I've got to start leaving myself reminders.....

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:It appears the Disklok is definately worth using even on new cars!!


Missed it! :doh: I've got to start leaving myself reminders.....

Andrew.

All these notes :? You been on the Sherry again :beer: :beer: :beer: :lol:

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Jasonmarie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Yes sort of thought pants I bet everybody mentions disk lock .... but how easy nicking new cars ..
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes sort of thought pants I bet everybody mentions disk lock .... but how easy nicking new cars ..

With the right equipment....Too easy :doh:

No thief (aka Scum) wants the hassle of removing security devices so they usually move on to another vehicle.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11745
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

andyd wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Yes sort of thought pants I bet everybody mentions disk lock .... but how easy nicking new cars ..

With the right equipment....Too easy :doh:

No thief (aka Scum) wants the hassle of removing security devices so they usually move on to another vehicle.

What was the gist of what was said in the programme?

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Yes sort of thought pants I bet everybody mentions disk lock .... but how easy nicking new cars ..

With the right equipment....Too easy :doh:

No thief (aka Scum) wants the hassle of removing security devices so they usually move on to another vehicle.

What was the gist of what was said in the programme?

Andrew.

Tbh it was on in the background, but modern cars that require no key to be used in the ignition the key can now be scanned from outside the house using a device which can be bought online enabling the car to be opened and stolen without the key at all.
As suspected It apperars many cars are then shipped abroad...

Daz-RSK
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Daz-RSK » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 am

Enlightening programme! Thanks Andy for pointing us towards it.

Yes, it was a little to do with what I posted above with the number of car thefts rising, especially with the newer set. In Stockport, they counted 19 thefts off people's driveways in October month alone, suspected of either the radar treatment to mobilise the car with their own fob or breaking in the house to get the keys. That's without the other thefts from car parks, hit & hijack etc.

Quite alarming really.

It was interesting that a visible deterrent is still worth its weight. And why wouldn't it be.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11745
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 am

It goes without saying that additional aftermarket security devices are a sensible precaution, but I honestly can't see many drivers of new Mercedes/BMW/Audi cars taking the time to fit them when they park their cars. What I mean is, people who see the driving experience as so hands-off that they see rain-sensing wipers as a necessity....

Andrew.
Image

Paul G
Posts: 1192
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Paul G » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 am

Apparantly you can get some bag to put your keys in that blocks the signal from being transmitted to the thieves.

What would be worse though - them just taking the car by cloning the signal or them breaking in to your house to get your keys? I generally take mine upstairs when I go to bed and the spares are hidden in a drawer in the dining room. I also have a cricket bat under my bed but at my age and physical abilities I would be no match for them and would end up getting stabbed or something.

Does anyone think it would be best to just leave them where the bastards can find them down stairs and hope they don't come upstairs?

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11745
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 am

Paul G wrote:Does anyone think it would be best to just leave them where the bastards can find them down stairs and hope they don't come upstairs?

An interesting point.
I would imagine that some thieves just want to make easy money and will not want any sort of confrontation. Others may break in armed with baseball bats, knives or whatever, intent on taking what they are after. If you get burglars from the first group, your keys will be safer upstairs with you. If you're unfortunate and are subjected to crims from the second group, it would definitely be best to have kept your keys in the hall where they can get to them easily. I guess you will not know what sort they are until you confront them though.....

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Paul G wrote:Does anyone think it would be best to just leave them where the bastards can find them down stairs and hope they don't come upstairs?

An interesting point.
I would imagine that some thieves just want to make easy money and will not want any sort of confrontation. Others may break in armed with baseball bats, knives or whatever, intent on taking what they are after. If you get burglars from the first group, your keys will be safer upstairs with you. If you're unfortunate and are subjected to crims from the second group, it would definitely be best to have kept your keys in the hall where they can get to them easily. I guess you will not know what sort they are until you confront them though.....

Andrew.

That was mentioned by one victim, that it would have been worse if the keys were hidden and the 'crims' had to go searching for them, especially as young children were in bed.
Imo, scanning is better than having your home broken into and keys stolen.

Too much like hard work for many owners to fit/remove a disklok, but if the keys are stolen rather than scanned the disklok key will probably be on there anyway....

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby Jasonmarie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Do agree we had a house up the road that a gang used baseball bats on the adults and they were left in a very bad state , and the police are no where to be seen any more .
It’s look after yourself and I can see many people starting to keep guns at home soon just so your one in front .

I did look at our house after that programme and must say I would go next door as my Alarm box was flashing away and the red lights on the cctv are nice and bright .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Another Capri Stolen....

Postby andyd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:Do agree we had a house up the road that a gang used baseball bats on the adults and they were left in a very bad state , and the police are no where to be seen any more .
It’s look after yourself and I can see many people starting to keep guns at home soon just so your one in front .

I did look at our house after that programme and must say I would go next door as my Alarm box was flashing away and the red lights on the cctv are nice and bright .

That's all you can do is put doubt in the mind of anyone tempted in your property.