What a Waste!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

What a Waste!

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

This isn't Ford related, but it's an interesting find nonetheless.....
We've all seen photos on the internet of abandoned cars rotting in people's gardens/ fields/ woods etc. I recently stumbled across such a site not far from home. There are some cars there that would be really nice, but now they are worth nothing. Brings a tear to your eye....

Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre R. Less than 100 of these are still registered in the UK.

ImageAbandoned Cars in the Woods. by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

Jaguar Mk VII (Only 139 still registered).

Humber Super Snipe.

The most recent addition and most modern car to be added to the "collection" in the woods. Even this has been off the road for over twenty years.

Austin A40 x2, Vauxhall Victor F type, Morris Minor, Bedford CA plus one unidentified.

Land Rover.

Vauxhall Victor estate.

MGB roadster.

On the property but still a runner.

ImageBritish Classic. by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

Bentley S3.

ImageBritish Luxury. by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

The house that all the cars belong to (with four covered-up cars on the drive).

ImageAbandoned Cars in the Woods by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

In total there are over twenty scrap cars on this property. Some people eh?

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: What a Waste!

Post by andyd »

:agree: Andrew it's a crime imo!
I can't understand how or why people can let them get to this state as they obviously have no love or intention of doing anything with them :?
It's bad enough to see them in barns when they haven't been covered for years, but this is beyond belief....Sadly there are alot of other places the same :doh:

Whether you like the cars or not, they don't deserve this treatment :(
andyd

Post by andyd »

I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but looking at the front of the house probably says it all..... :shock:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Whether you like the cars or not, they don't deserve this treatment :(
You have to wonder about the story behind them though. I bet most of these would have been restorable when they were parked. Not now though.

I also came across this at another location that might be of interest. Three Sierras (2x XR4x4) that look to be going to waste. I also spot something of interest in the background....

ImageWhere Sierras Go To Die! by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

The XR closest to the camera hasn't had an MOT for nearly six years, the other one hasn't got a registration plate so I can't check.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Whether you like the cars or not, they don't deserve this treatment :(
You have to wonder about the story behind them though. I bet most of these would have been restorable when they were parked. Not now though.

I also came across this at another location that might be of interest. Three Sierras (2x XR4x4) that look to be going to waste. I also spot something of interest in the background....

Andrew.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I would be knocking on the door, there would be plenty of useful parts even if the shells are beyond help. Again WHY :?

I see a XR4i everytime I go to see the Mother in law, it's been sat there a least 10 years and also a D or E reg Granada infront of it....
They aren't increasing in value if they are left out in all weathers for years on end :banghead:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but looking at the front of the house probably says it all..... :shock:
Don't know what you mean. Lick of paint on those drive gates & that house will look a million dollars :D
I agree though, what a waste. If you never intended using them again, sell or scrap them off. At least someone could have benefit from the spares, far too late now.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Nearly forgot about this one:

ImageA Sad Sight.... by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote: If you never intended using them again, sell or scrap them off. At least someone could have benefit from the spares, far too late now.
There's a whole thread dedicated to this sort of thing on Retro Rides. The whole country is chock full of rare and expensive cars rotting on people's driveways. There is a common theme though.....the owners never wan't to sell as they genuinely believe that they'll get round to restoring them one day.

Andrew.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:

The XR closest to the camera hasn't had an MOT for nearly six years, the other one hasn't got a registration plate so I can't check.

Andrew.
Presumably from the wheels and trim on those xr4x4 they are both 2.0 models?
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:There is a common theme though.....the owners never wan't to sell as they genuinely believe that they'll get round to restoring them one day.

Andrew.
They're probably all waiting for Car Sos to come knocking..
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

You ought to send those pictures to Practical Classics "Rust in Peace" section.

All of it's a crying shame, as you said the FB Victor estate, Austin A40 (my mum had one of those when i was a kid) and all the other rare British steel.
Would it be worth knocking the door regarding the Capri in the back yard? If cheap enough it could be worth it for spares or to clean it up a bit and flip it.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

fordperv wrote:Presumably from the wheels and trim on those xr4x4 they are both 2.0 models?
It looks like it. According to howmanyleft.co.uk, there are only around 100 of that model still registered, so quite a rare car.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:Would it be worth knocking the door regarding the Capri in the back yard? If cheap enough it could be worth it for spares or to clean it up a bit and flip it.
Probably Paul, yes. Although I'm quite averse to confrontation, so I'm too scared to go knocking. The Sierras and Capri are on a farm, I bet the farmer isn't short of a few bob, so there is no motivation for them to sell anyway. Despite appearances, the Capri appears to still have a current MOT, although it is on SORN. There is hope for that one at least.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote: They're probably all waiting for Car Sos to come knocking..
:lol: Tim would have to blag a lot of parts for that Morris Minor.......

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well I can’t belive what you have found , as I can’t remeber the last time I saw a old rusting car on a driveway , as you all say I guess they think they will fix or be worth money as they are one day . But some great cars there . The Capri in the back of the xr4 pictures I can’t quite make out the number plate but it looks like a 1984 laser me thinks on a B plate .
But I think I would have left my old cars in the back garden if I had the room back in the years as I only sold them as I did not have room anywhere for them . But saying that we swap our Morden cars but I think it’s because I am not attached to them and they just do a job for the family .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

People need to be careful of forming opinions as to why vehicles are left on driveways or tucked away in garages. True, many are simply abandoned as people have ideas that they will possibly get restored, possibly they broke down and were just replaced.
I have know on several occasions cars to be apparently just abandoned and it turns out that the owners have died and the family can't bear to let the cars go.
Just remember that for a lot of people there are far more important things in life than cars, no matter how rare or desirable and there is usually a valid reason for what appears to be plain and simple neglect.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
fordperv wrote:Presumably from the wheels and trim on those xr4x4 they are both 2.0 models?
It looks like it. According to howmanyleft.co.uk, there are only around 100 of that model still registered, so quite a rare car.

Andrew.
Those wheels were on the 2.9 1990 onwards too. I was offered a NOS set last year but I don't really like them as much as the 7 spokes :D

My mate has a 2.0 version, again not my cup of tea.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprigear wrote:People need to be careful of forming opinions as to why vehicles are left on driveways or tucked away in garages. True, many are simply abandoned as people have ideas that they will possibly get restored, possibly they broke down and were just replaced.
I have know on several occasions cars to be apparently just abandoned and it turns out that the owners have died and the family can't bear to let the cars go.
Just remember that for a lot of people there are far more important things in life than cars, no matter how rare or desirable and there is usually a valid reason for what appears to be plain and simple neglect.
Fair comment Martin.
Still annoying when you can't find the parts you want or someone :spank: you with the price as the part is rare, but many other parts could be sat out there doing nothing...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Those wheels were on the 2.9 1990 onwards too. I was offered a NOS set last year but I don't really like them as much as the 7 spokes :D
You are spot on, Andy. The car nearest the camera is indeed a 1990 2.9. You're right about the wheels not looking as good as the 7 spokes.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprigear wrote: there are far more important things in life than cars
Yes, you are quite right Martin. It's too easy to get carried away with the apparent neglect of the cars, but there may be more to the situation than meets the eye.

Andrew.