Autoglym wax .......

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Autoglym wax .......

Post by Jasonmarie »

So just laughed at Nicks post about has it stopped raining yet . Now after 10 years of my Capri never being driven in the wet and only had a wash once a year I thought let’s test a few things .
I left the car out in the drive lastnight and new it was going to rain .

O M G ..................

So how does all that autoglym wax , glass polish , tyre gel and the poor boys wheel sealant do there job in the wet !

I give you a wet Mercury Grey Capri .......drum roll ...............

So the water is bleeding really nice and when the heavens really opened up it just fell off , so I am pleased with the way it is acting and seems to be doing it’s job really well . Will check to see how she drys .

Yes the tyres are looking good with the water beeding well also the poor boys sealant is coping well as the wheels were washed yesterday on my return .
Only thing is the glass cleaner , seems to be not as good as I used a new glass cleaner ( can’t remember the name now ) with the x fog applied afterwards on every window accept the front windscreen . But the screen is not bleeding and clearing as good as autoglym polish not the fast glass .

So there you have my review and yes the Capri that has sat in the rain for a test . Still not driven in the wet so the underside is still dry . I still say you can’t beat autoglym saying that I have not really used anything else . But a good wash then use clay and super raisin polish then finish with there wax give a good shine .

Question is now I have let the rain get to the car should I re do the wax ?

Hope that’s a good review as was worth getting the Capri wet .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Autoglym wax .......

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

A wet mercury grey Capri.....never thought I'd see the day!
The wax should protect the paintwork for around a year, I would have thought.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Personally i would just dry the car off completely (including the awkward areas under the bonnet etc) then cover it :)

I've used Autoglym Resin Polish for years and always got on well with it :cheers:
But like you, not tried anything else to compare it too :?
Last edited by andyd on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Bleedin Hell Jason....have you lost your marbles fella leaving your Capri out in the rain for research purposes :lol: :lol:

Yep that Autoglym is very good aint it. The rain just rolls off the paintwork. I still like to get a detailing drying off cloth to it before it completely dries off if i can to minimise the chance off rain marks. Remember driving to a breakfast meet with John in the rain and recall he was rather upset at how the water was just rolling off my car as i had polished it the day before :lol:

Thats a great bit of research mate backed up with some great pics too. Nice one ! Very good of you to do this to give results to the forum. Sounds like all the products you are using to protect your stunning Laser have done the trick mate :applaud:

The windscreen is easy enough to wipe over so thats not a issue.

Anyway well done for this bit of research. As you said you are not driving in the rain so the underside will be nice and dry....but as Andy has said dont forget to open the bonnet and soak up the water in the 'usual' places that the water gets too.

For example water collects around the bonnet seating rubber adjuster bolts each side of the slam panel. And also water can collect in the recess around the bolt head just off to the right of the fusebox. It runs down and collects around the hex head bolt you can see. It can also collect around the inspection hatch covers too. And if its heavy enough it can collect in the well each side of the radiator where the anti-roll bar fixings are. Just make sure you check these areas and dry off with kitchen towel tissue.

Hope I have not worried the hell out of you Jason after your brave bit of research :lol:

Your Laser looks just as stunning in the rain fella :D

All the best mate

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: but as Andy has said dont forget to open the bonnet and soak up the water in the 'usual' places that the water gets too.

For example water collects around the bonnet seating rubber adjuster bolts each side of the slam panel. And also water can collect in the recess around the bolt head just off to the right of the fusebox. It rubs down and collects around the hex head bolt you can see. It can also collect around the inspection hatch covers too. And if its heavy enough it can collect in the well each side of the radiator where the anti-roll bar fixings are. Just make sure you check these areas and dry off with kitchen towel tissue.

Hope I have not worried the hell out of you Jason after your brave bit of research :lol:

Nick
Was it really such a good idea :deadhorse: :lol:

:goodluck:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote: but as Andy has said dont forget to open the bonnet and soak up the water in the 'usual' places that the water gets too.

For example water collects around the bonnet seating rubber adjuster bolts each side of the slam panel. And also water can collect in the recess around the bolt head just off to the right of the fusebox. It rubs down and collects around the hex head bolt you can see. It can also collect around the inspection hatch covers too. And if its heavy enough it can collect in the well each side of the radiator where the anti-roll bar fixings are. Just make sure you check these areas and dry off with kitchen towel tissue.

Nick
Was it really such a good idea :deadhorse: :lol:

:goodluck:

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not heard from Jason yet have we Andy...maybe the whole family has been ordered outside to help dry off under the bonnet after seeing what we said :shock: :o
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes my wife said your leaving the capri outside and I keep on checking to see what’s going on , will be interested to see if any water has got inside , but has always been good when I have used the hose .

I do use the large autoglym towel to get the water off , but will hose down in the morning as there could be some dirt in the rain and might use the foam in the morning and give a wash .

I have seen on YouTube I think that a leaf blower is the best to dry a car .

Thanks for tonight’s “ why did I leave the car in the rain Top Tips of where the water is hiding from Nick ) only joking mate but your right it does go in places where you think it should be dry .

There is something nice seeing the car with that beeding affect and wet or is it just me

But I am happy with the autoglym products . Also I had a dead fly on the front of the bonnet which has wiped of with ease Fromm yesterday .

Also Andrews Top tip on the poor boys wheel sealant really does it’s job Andy I think the pot will last me a life time as you don’t need much . :cool:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:
You could use a compressor also, very handy to have actually, find myself using mine far more than I thought. Keep a look out for Aldi stocks, they do an excellent 24L model, at that size they are portable also.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:
You could use a compressor also, very handy to have actually, find myself using mine far more than I thought. Keep a look out for Aldi stocks, they do an excellent 24L model, at that size they are portable also.
Or keep it out of the rain or covered :lol:

On the odd occasions mine has been out in the rain, by the time I have driven home the engine bay is dry thanks to the heat it produces :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I have seen on YouTube I think that a leaf blower is the best to dry a car .
I'll stick with my artificial chamois, made by Autoglym.....who else?
Nice tip about the leafblower, but it could blow some water into some crevices where it can't be reached to be dried by hand. Just a thought.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I used my autoglym rapid wax that you spray on wet cars and it wiped down really well , what was a scared moment I dried the roof first and thought OMG I have scratch but looked harder and it was old wax mark what come out with just a polish .

I did not re do the polish and just put the car away so will see how it looks Friday ready for saturdays ace cafe
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

When my car does get washed it’s dried with towels by dabbing and patting and then finished off with a “Leaf blower” and they are great in my view, it blows out warm air as well which helps

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat5.html

The less contact you have with the paint the less chance of any minor scratches!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes cheers for that Andrew as I do belive a air blower is the best thing to use I only normal wash once a year and do use the large micro cloth laid down and the just lifted that does work but a air blower would clear the car with ease .

I bought my dad a leaf blower and sucker lastyear and could use one in my back garden in the winter so I might have a look nextime out as it would do two jobs .