expansion tank

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

expansion tank

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Other day I seen an expansion tank for sale on ebay in remarkably clean condition so could not resist it. Was the only bidder at £25 which aint too bad a price. Whist the original one had cleaned up well last year it was still very yellow stained so thought I would treat myself to a slightly cleaner one ( pic on right ) !! Filled it with coolant water mix and it looks really nice. Was too dark by the time I finished to take a pic as I waited till late to pop down as not so hot but took a photo of the original one beside the 'new' one :)

Image2018-07-26_10-10-49 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I also replaced the windscreen wash bottle too with one that I had bought last year and had stored on the shelf. The one I had fitted had a crack along the top surface so was meaning to change this too. Looks so much better :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: expansion tank

Post by Jasonmarie »

I don’t think you can get that engine any cleaner , looks great yes I did try cleaning mine but it never looked white as I guess the coolant stains the plastic .
Nice job Nick don’t know how your working the buses in London at the monement , my car is on the drive with the window down a few inches and a cover because it’s so hot .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Nice one Nick :applaud:

Even though the old ones were ok, probably looks alot better now :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Great find, Nick!
On it's own your old tank looks perfectly fine. Although when placed next to it, the one you've just bought looks like it is brand new. 8-)

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:I don’t think you can get that engine any cleaner , looks great yes I did try cleaning mine but it never looked white as I guess the coolant stains the plastic .
Nice job Nick don’t know how your working the buses in London at the monement , my car is on the drive with the window down a few inches and a cover because it’s so hot .
Cheers Jason. Yep always trying to improve mate. I did soak my old one for a week in a bleach/water and whilst it turned out alot better the 'yellowing' was still there. As you say years of coolant had taken its toll ! This one i found is pretty nice !! Mate working the buses at the moment is tough but i try not to let the heat get to me. While all around me are melting their brains i am trying to stay 'cool' if its possible in 35 degrees !!! But someone has to keep london moving in this weather.

Hail the bus drivers :wave: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:Nice one Nick :applaud:

Even though the old ones were ok, probably looks alot better now :)
Hey thanks Andy :D

Mate i did not really have this on my to do list but when i came across it on ebay I could not resist !! I will keep the original as a good spare :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Great find, Nick!
On it's own your old tank looks perfectly fine. Although when placed next to it, the one you've just bought looks like it is brand new. 8-)
Cheers Andrew.

When i first unpacked it I thought :oops: as it looked like the one i already had but as soon as they were laid together the 'new' one did look better...not by much but by enough to make a nice improvement :)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Great find, Nick!
Cheers Andrew.

When i first unpacked it I thought :oops: as it looked like the one i already had but as soon as they were laid together the 'new' one did look better...not by much but by enough to make a nice improvement :)
Nice one Nick :applaud:, I see you're still suffering from OCD - Obsessive Capri Detailing ..
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:Nice one Nick :applaud:, I see you're still suffering from OCD - Obsessive Capri Detailing ..
:o... :wave: … now where did I put that box of 1000 polishing cloths I bought recently :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Well got the Capri out of garage last night just before dark so took a few snaps of the bottles I replaced

Image20180727_204523 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Washer bottle looks mush better as old one had a big crack along the top
Image20180727_204527 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Whilst the new expansion bottle is not mint its still much better than the original one
Image20180727_204533 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

and repainted the front grill recently too
Image20180727_204700 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And while I had B112 out thought I would stand back and enjoy the new stance again with the recent suspension work I had done by Tickover
Image20180727_204801 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

All the best chaps

Nick

PS Today I am getting the Capri ready for The Ace for next Sat as am working all this week so wont get a chance. At least I am organised this time and not leaving it till day befrore :lol:
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Nick,

The new bottle is looking good there fella, nice work. All the engine bay is looking spot on and the inner wing Nick. Oh, what is there to possibly do to get the Cappa ready for the Ace? I can’t think of a cleaner motor Nick, cheers,

John.

P.S. What’s happened to your avitar pic???
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Looking great Nick :D
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:Looking great Nick :D
:agree: Enjoy the Ace :cheers:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Taff50ish wrote:Hi Nick,

The new bottle is looking good there fella, nice work. All the engine bay is looking spot on and the inner wing Nick. Oh, what is there to possibly do to get the Cappa ready for the Ace? I can’t think of a cleaner motor Nick, cheers,

John.

P.S. What’s happened to your avitar pic???
Hey cheers John. Not completely happy with the inner wing but not bad at all. As said I tried to touch in a small area but this looked worse so decided to do the whole top inner wing to give me the cut off points. You can never replicate a quality respray from rattle cans but as said it looks a lot better where I had the flaking paint around the strut top so I will stick a few decals back on today as maybe no one will notice... :oops: maybe I should have said nothing :lol: :lol: :lol: You can see yourself next week anyway mate but whisper to me what you really think !!

Siobhan is working till 1.30pm today so have a bit of time just to make sure B122 is ready for next Sat mate as working all of next week on a shite duty so today is my last chance before The Ace. Really looking forward to it now and the South Mimms convoy too. Should be a cracking day out at The ace :D

John my avatar pic just disappeared recently when the forum page was playing up. Don't know how it just vanished but I cant get another one to upload as it keeps saying my selected pic is too bleeding big...something about pixels ????????? I tried but just gave up as it was really winding me up ! I might send you a pic later and see if you can help ? :)

Anyway, Cheers John, must get on as Siobhan is due home soonish and think she might want to go for a nice walk after a spot of lunch so need to get cracking on the cappa !! Just a quick spring clean :lol:

All the best fella

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:
:agree: Enjoy the Ace :cheers:
Thanks Andy, Rob.

Was great to get the Capri out of the garage after it finally cooled down last night. Weather looking good for next weekend for The Ace but hope its not this extreme heat we have had. A nice 22/24 degrees would be perfect...but I am not fussy am I...one min its too wet to drive the cappa then next its too bleedin dry and hot !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best chaps

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Might have to keep my bonnet shut at the ace :lmao:
Looks so nice under there a real labour of love . Yes as you know looking forward to the big meet up next week at the Ace and to here Johns new sound system . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: it keeps saying my selected pic is too bleeding big...something about pixels ?????????
Hi Nick,
It's easy enough to reduce the size of your selected photo by using Microsoft Paint, or a similar programme.

Your car, as ever is looking great. I'm sure that everybody will think it is "ace" next Saturday.... :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:It's easy enough to reduce the size of your selected photo by using Microsoft Paint, or a similar programme.
Ahh...thanks Andrew. I will look into this mate and see how I get on. I have a selection of paint brushes so should be ok :? :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Your car, as ever is looking great. I'm sure that everybody will think it is "ace" next Saturday.... :D
Thanks very much mate. Almost finished getting B112 ready for the The Ace :)

All the best fella

Nick
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Looking great mate! Really looking forward to next Sat and meeting up with everyone though I'd best get polishing beforehand...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Ahh...thanks Andrew. I will look into this mate and see how I get on.
Hi Nick,
I've just had a quick look in paint and found that the easiest way (providing you are using Windows) is to select your photo to edit and open it up in Paint. Crop off the bits of the photo you don't need (preferably making it square), then resize what is left to 100x100 pixels. Save the file then upload to the forum to use as your avatar. As easy as that! :)

Andrew.