cross roads

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

cross roads

Post by blitzy »

well guys i'm knida stuck with my Capri and dont know what to do.
the fact is i have no idea what to do with it.
trying to find ANY parts is proving a mount Everest expedition and I no longer have ANY faith in the pinto engines (namely the 2.0)
I don't believe she is strong enough to take a V6 or V8

The thing is the only thing that seems to work for me is to drop a 1.8TD from P100 (pretty much been driving only diesels for 15 years)
but then i think it will devalue the car but then I think at least a 1.6 or 2.0 can replace (on the day hell should freeze over and I have to sell it)

I don't know not sure what to do.................
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: cross roads

Post by Paul G »

You surprise me Blitzy, the Pinto is usually quite a bullit-proof engine unless you drive it like a cnut.

If you're going to sell the car I'd recommend putting it back to as standard as possible condition even if that means going back to a 1.6 engine. I'm sure that putting the diesel in will devalue it and make it horrible to drive with all the turbo lag they have.

What parts are you struggling with, there's quite a few suppliers about like Martin, Nial Diamond or Colin up in Hartlepool, as well as Tickover and the dreaded Club.
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

Car is not and never will be for sale.
Pintos have Always let me down especially the 2.0
dont know what i am going to do.....
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

What goes wrong with the Pintos you have tried? Are you just fitting second hand ones or are you in a position where you could have one professionally reconditioned by a qualified engine reconditioner?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny as I would say the best Two engines in the world are ford pinto and the rover V8 as they are the hardest to break !
It total I have had 6 - 2.0 pinto engine in cars and they have all been fine I put 150k on my last 2,0 Capri and all that needed doing was the oil seals .
You must have just been unlucky some how .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
blitzy

Post by blitzy »

well 100% fail rate. they just shut themselves down in the middle of traffic so unlucky ain't the word.
I did think about the Zetec, however that would mean bike carbs and engine management.
And sadly i don't have 0000s to spend on her.... House hunting...
Was hoping to get her on the road speed is not an issue at this time.
just to quote my 113BHP L200 shifts ok and shes a near 2 tonne brick!
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Strange one this........ pinto's a cracking motor.
When you say you usually run diesels, you're not putting diesel in your pinto are you? :whistle:
I think the thought of a diesel rattle from under a Capri bonnet would sound just wrong.......... :doh:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Tractor engine will be a thing of the past soon as our government does not like them after telling us all to buy one 10 years ago .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

timfromull wrote:I think the thought of a diesel rattle from under a Capri bonnet would sound just wrong.......... :doh:
:agree: , but there are 9 cars out there, according to the DVLA....
Although it has to be said that 5 of those 9 are recorded as having the same engine capacity as the standard petrol versions, so they are likely to simply have incorrect details recorded on the system. That still leaves 4 cars that possibly may genuinely have had diesel engine transplants though.

Andrew
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote: When you say you usually run diesels, you're not putting diesel in your pinto are you? :whistle:
My mate has accidentally put diesel in his Fiesta Supersport 3 times now in 3 years :doh: It runs but not great :lol:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

blitzy wrote:well 100% fail rate. they just shut themselves down in the middle of traffic so unlucky ain't the word.
I did think about the Zetec, however that would mean bike carbs and engine management.
And sadly i don't have 0000s to spend on her.... House hunting...
Was hoping to get her on the road speed is not an issue at this time.
just to quote my 113BHP L200 shifts ok and shes a near 2 tonne brick!
Stick with the Pinto, it’s the simplest, cheapest option. Keep it standard(ish) for everyday reliability and usability. I only ever had one pinto engined Capri let me down and that was due to knackered points, a bit of roadside fetting and it still limped home. It may be worth biting the bullet and buying a recon unit though, at least then it will just need setting up properly and away you go 8-) .