Lowering day now confirmed....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Lowering day now confirmed....

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all.

Yep I have finally booked in B112 with the chaps at Tickover on Thurs 21st June to have the ride height set up over the new 15" wheels. This was their first available slot as they are very busy. Am still thinking 2" rear and 1" front but I will chat with the guys at Tickover re what springs to use on the front but as both Dave and Neil recommmend 145lbs I am thinking to go with these. Very excited as the ride height of B112 has always niggled me so getting it set up finally as I want I cant wait now !!!! Yep it might be a slightly different ride experience but talking with people on facebook who have done it as long as its a sensible 'drop' with the correct rated springs it will be fine.

One guy described my Capri as being "stood up like a scared cat" :lol: :lol: :lol:

It should sit really nicely over the 15's when its done and give me that lower stance I have always wanted and thought looked proper cool on the Capri.

Watch this space....updates to follow as and when :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Re: Lowering day now confirmed....

Post by SmokeEm »

It will be fine nick, trust me. You could go 2" on the front but once it settles, you risk catching the valence on exiting petrol stations etc if uneven. The ride can also be a little crashy which never bothered me but it might bother you? You may also need to heat & fettle the over axle pipe of your exhaust to stock it knocking but it's fine usually. Should look KILLER!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
The long wait will soon be over and the "scared cat" stance will be a thing of the past.
I eagerly await some photos.......

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

SmokeEm wrote:It will be fine nick, trust me. You could go 2" on the front but once it settles, you risk catching the valence on exiting petrol stations etc if uneven. The ride can also be a little crashy which never bothered me but it might bother you? You may also need to heat & fettle the over axle pipe of your exhaust to stock it knocking but it's fine usually. Should look KILLER!
Dave, thanks very much mate. Some great information from you as ever. Its being done by the very experienced chaps at Tickover so its in good hands so they should get it set up just right. Just a shame I have to wait but as said this was the first slot I could get but should be well worth the wait !! Cheers fella :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:The long wait will soon be over and the "scared cat" stance will be a thing of the past.
:lol: Thanks Andrew !

Just been down to B112 and the more I look the higher its getting....at this rate it wont fit into the garage :lol:

Seriously though it should give a whole new look/stance coupled with the 7x15's on 195 50's !!
Andrew 2.8i wrote:I eagerly await some photos.......
So do I Andrew :wave: :lol:

Cheers mate

Nick
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Good choice with 2" front and 1" rear thats what I went for on my project before I fit coilovers to the front but that won't be until after its painted

Here it is the suspension hasnt settled fully as its not been driven and I have single leads on the rear

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

As i said Nick your in safe hands with the Tickover boys and they will get B112 spot on .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

fordperv wrote:Here it is the suspension hasnt settled fully as its not been driven and I have single leads on the rear

That does look great mate. Thats sitting very nice indeed. Mine sits higher at the rear so I am dropping the front by 1" then getting Tickover to drop the rear to suit. As its sitting higher I reckon 2". Thanks for your picture mate. This is the 'stance' I am hoping to get with mine. Dropping coupled with the 15" wheels should do the trick nicely. Thanks again mate. Appreciate it :)

All the best

Nick

Ps. I might even have a word with Tickover about whether replacing the multileafs with singles is a good option ??
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:As i said Nick your in safe hands with the Tickover boys and they will get B112 spot on .
Nice one Jason. Am counting down the days already mate :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Ps. I might even have a word with Tickover about whether replacing the multileafs with singles is a good option ??
It depends what sort of ride you want Nick! My GL has multi leaf and is very comfy ride and absorbs the bumps much better than the laser which has single leaf springs, but hammering into corners the single leaf springs give much better stance and grip into the corners :lol:

There isn't much difference other than the ride quality (and a tiny bit of height difference), and the chance that the multi springs will break/separate and need replacing whereas it's less likely the singles would break but unlikely really in both cases

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Not only is the 21st June the longest day of the year it's also my birthday.... All will be fine and she will look even better if that's possible but know you can't wait Nick :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:It depends what sort of ride you want Nick! My GL has multi leaf and is very comfy ride and absorbs the bumps much better than the laser which has single leaf springs, but hammering into corners the single leaf springs give much better stance and grip into the corners :lol:

There isn't much difference other than the ride quality (and a tiny bit of height difference), and the chance that the multi springs will break/separate and need replacing whereas it's less likely the singles would break but unlikely really in both cases
Hi Danny.

Thanks fella. As you have both its good to hear what you say. Only thinking about swapping over to singles. Yep the ride will be firmer but ditting in with John in his 2.8i it dont feel a rough ride at all albeit he had not had his lowered as I will be doing. I will talk with the Tickover chaps when I drop B112 in with them. I want to replace/restore my underside over the next couple of years so whilst I am replacing the frobt suspension I might do something with the rear leafs while they are lowering. As said only thinking aloud but thanks for tge info mate.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: The long wait will soon be over and the "scared cat" stance will be a thing of the past.
:lol: Good analogy, looking forward to seeing it completed Nick. Be great to see the before & after with those polished 15's closer to those shiny arches. :cheers:
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

Just put it on the floor Nick, I was running 4-5"drop on the front and 2"on the rear.
It didn't scrape atall

If you were parked :lol:
Ratty as fuck
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

ThatGuy wrote:Just put it on the floor Nick, I was running 4-5"drop on the front and 2"on the rear.
It didn't scrape atall

If you were parked :lol:
Jesus Tom...I almost choked on my cheese sandwich mate :shock: :lol: