Wheely excited....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Wheely excited....

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Chaps ,

As some of you know I do have a bit of a soft spot for the rs 4-spoke design wheel :wave: and have indeed had both 6x13 and currently 7x13 and really like Dannys 7.5x13's.

Well.........tomorrow morning I am driving up to John Brown Wheels nr Daventry to collect a set of 7x15' 4-spoke machined wheels with Yokohama tyres and chrome valves. They should look great !! :D

I really do like the 7x13's I but have always wanted a slightly bigger wheel in my arches so today and after a good chat with John on Sunday I decided to stop thinking about it and do something about it ! So I rang up jbw this morning and ordered up a set of the 7x15's with Yokohama's ! Great thing with jbw is they fit the tyres and balance them all set just to fit on your car. They also give you a free set of gleaming new wheel nuts too.

Thought it would be nice to collect them in person and have a look at their showroom too. Its a 90min drive so not too bad at all. Always wanted to visit their place.

So yep very excited at collecting the 7x15's and cant wait to fit them ! Cripes still need to mot B112 too !! :lol:

Will prob not get a chance to fit them till next week as me and Mrs F are going to the Peak District then West Yorkshire for a week so watch this space.....

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Wheely excited....

Post by Caprigear »

Good choice Nick. I have fitted the same set up on the Cosworth BOB that I've just about completed and they look great.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprigear wrote:Good choice Nick. I have fitted the same set up on the Cosworth BOB that I've just about completed and they look great.
Hi Martin,

Thanks mate that's really great to know and has made me even more excited now :lol: They certainly should enhance the look and stance of my Capri. I do like the 7x13's but 7x15's I could not resist these !

Bet that Cosworth BOB is gonna be something special to drive Martin !!! :D

Thanks again, all the best

Nick
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

They will look great Nick :cheers:

Never grow out of new wheels, exhausts and air filter upgrades :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:They will look great Nick :cheers:
Cheers Andy. Nice one mate.

As said I do like the 7x13's but rather than 'up' the tyre height ratio and be in danger of overwhelming the 13" alloy I wanted to 'up' the wheel size. Its amazing the choice of tyres in this size too so not so costly and any future tyre replacements will be easier too with the 15"...

I am fitting 195's on these as the 185's on my 7x13" still fall short of filling the rim width being that bit wider than standard. I was looking at Johns 195's on his 15's and they are spot on and look superb !!

Looking forward to seeing the famous jbw showroom too :P
andyd wrote:Never grow out of new wheels, exhausts and air filter upgrades :D
:lol: Very true Sir.....very true :lol:

All the best Andy

Nick
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Can't wait to see them on, Nick........ I already know they'll look stunning on your motor :lowrider:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

timfromull wrote:Can't wait to see them on, Nick........ I already know they'll look stunning on your motor :lowrider:
:agree: Looking forward to it!!

:)

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Good choice I was contemplating a set of these for my laser, can't wait to see it
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

nothing like new wheels, I got my old pepperpots refurbed last month and they look ace!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

New wheels , looking forward to pictures and how the Capri drives review .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Be sure to tell them you have potential customers here for them and see what discount you can blag us :whistle:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
The wheels sound amazing, I'm already looking forward to seeing some photos!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi chaps.

Thanks very much to you all for your comments. Sorry did not get back but been a busy day. A 156 mile round trip to pick up the tyres for one :)

Think I was kinda expecting a big showroom/reception at jbw but could not have been any different...but in a good way ! Down a long lovely country lane you could easily miss it if it were not for a small 'entrance' sign. Indeed I did and had to U-Turn !! A series of what can only be described brick barns/outbuildings...but immediately obvious what they do as soon as you walk in !!! Wheels and tyres everywhere !!! The staff were very friendly indeed. Picked up my wheels. The 15x7's looked great in the flesh. Could not wait to get back to really compare them against the 13's in B112.

So back home I took a few pics so you can see the comparison between the 13's and 15's. The 15's really are a great upgrade and will sit just perfect under the arches to fill them out. Its funny sitting the 15 beside the 13 as it makes the 13 look small now :lol: but I still have a soft spot for the 13's...just time to beef things up a bit :wave: and the stance will look great too and handling as well.....John advised to het 195 50 15 tyres which are absolutely spot on. Fill the width of the rims just perfect and look a bit beefier too. Well happy ! Thanks John :applaud:

Image2018-04-17_05-40-09 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image2018-04-17_05-42-21 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image2018-04-17_05-40-51 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image2018-04-17_05-42-02 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image2018-04-17_05-41-16 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image2018-04-17_05-41-43 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Free set of nuts and a set of lock nuts too...
Image2018-04-17_05-42-52 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Thanks again for all your kind comments earlier. As said sorry I did not reply sooner but been busy today. We are going up to the Peak District on Thurs for a few days then over to my parents in West Yorkshire for a few days too so will have to wait to fit these..

All the best

Nick
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

They look stunning, be great to see them on the car Nick. Good choice :applaud:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:They look stunning, be great to see them on the car Nick. Good choice :applaud:
Thanks very much Rob. Nice one :)

JBW have some amazing wheels on display mate...truely amazing but my dream wheels have always been the 4-spokes so these were always gonna be the ones for me. Ever since I seen my first Capri with 4 spokes many moons ago I have adored them so to finally get these is where its about with me :lol: :wave:

A guy on Capri World on facebook has ordered some Minilights for his Laser from jbw. They are 7x15 gun metal with polished rims. I seen them in jbw today. Bleedin stunning. Bet they will look amazing.

Thanks again Rob

All the best

Nick
andyd

Post by andyd »

They look Da Bolex :cheers:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:They look Da Bolex :cheers:
Cheers Andy :D

Those Yokohama 195 50 15 sit so much better on the 7" than the 185 mate. John told me to up the width and it looks spot on. They have very good ratings too...C for fuel ( most I seen were F ) and noise level is 68 which is very good but the best one is they are B for wet use :lol: :wave:

Thanks again Andy

Nick
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
andyd wrote:They look Da Bolex :cheers:
Cheers Andy :D

Those Yokohama 195 50 15 sit so much better on the 7" than the 185 mate. John told me to up the width and it looks spot on. They have very good ratings too...C for fuel ( most I seen were F ) and noise level is 68 which is very good but the best one is they are B for wet use :lol: :wave:

Thanks again Andy

Nick
You know what they say Nick....Never mind the quality feel the width :D

Wet :o Lets hope you never find out.

Look forward to pics when fitted :)

:goodluck:
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

You do realise Nick what this 'Actually' means.... You have moved away from the It's only a K&N and can easily be reversed crowd.. A K&N is a few bolts to return it to stock.. What's that I hear you say?? "But David, there are only 4 nuts to undo on each wheel to be able to go back to stock' Errrrr. No Nick - the wheels might have only 4 nuts each BUT the new 285mm front vented discs & 4 pot calipers you now need to fill the wheels are a fair bit more involved.. Couple that with a Sierra rear disc conversion to do same out back and now you're a serial modder.

After this, the increased stopping power means you need more go - cue the Big Valve head, 45's and a lairy cam.... I can see it all coming... 8-)
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Then of course comes the 4 link boxes and coil overs....

It goes on & on - you have made the 1st steps young Jedi...... :whistle: