No MOT.....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

No MOT.....

Post by andyd »

For cars over 40 years!
Not sure if this has already been mentioned on here https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ ... t-testing/

Good or bad idea :?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: No MOT.....

Post by Paul G »

Not good. There's too many people with classic cars that aren't mechanically competent enough to judge if something is safe or not.

Cars ought to have the basics checked annually by someone competent even if it's just brakes, steering, suspension and rust.
andyd

Post by andyd »

:agree: Paul.
It sounds good until you think about it :headscratch: I personally don't want to drive anywhere in a death trap :!:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I personally don't want to drive anywhere in a death trap :!:
Whether a car is exempt from an MOT or not, it still has to be in roadworthy condition. That won't change under the new legislation.

Perhaps we will see insurance companies using assessors in the event of a claim to ensure that MOT exempt cars are in roadworthy condition. Maybe they will even insist on cars being taken for an MOT in order to get insurance in the first place.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Perhaps we will see insurance companies using assessors in the event of a claim to ensure that MOT exempt cars are in roadworthy condition. Maybe they will even insist on cars being taken for an MOT in order to get insurance in the first place.

Andrew.
I would be interested to see if this does happen; If I were a broker I certainly wouldn't go round randomly insuring things without checking its safe or valid first etc. Especially seeing as insurance currently demands your car to have a valid MOT for your insurance to be valid as well...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:A few changes happening soon https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018
Thanks for postingthe link Andy.
Reading through the changes, I'm surprised that most of them aren't already checked. For example, " if brake pads or discs are missing". I'm sure that would affect the braking performance on the rolling road.... :headscratch:

Andrew.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I personally don't want to drive anywhere in a death trap :!:
Whether a car is exempt from an MOT or not, it still has to be in roadworthy condition. That won't change under the new legislation.

Perhaps we will see insurance companies using assessors in the event of a claim to ensure that MOT exempt cars are in roadworthy condition. Maybe they will even insist on cars being taken for an MOT in order to get insurance in the first place.

Andrew.
Personally, other than the common sense, moral, reassuring reasons to get an MoT done anyway, I believe that insurers may insist on it to obtain cover. Or it may be that your insurance is £150 per annum with MoT, £400 without. So yes theoretically you can go without one, but it's financially not worth it.

Also don't forget that you still must maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If at any point it is not roadworthy, you as the driver are liable. I'd be far happier paying the £40 test fee each year for an experienced, qualified person to look over the car and identify anything which needs attending to. Even if you are a qualified mechanic and expert (which most of us are not), you would surely welcome somebody independently casting their eye over it.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Since i own several cars which are exempt i actually feel it is a silly move, but it is just going to get worse. In one respect they are making it appealing, but in time i am sure they will use these excuses to get these cars off the road entirely!
Common sense kicks in and we should say no, we do not agree and we believe that these cars should be MOT'd.

If you have to make the decision yourself then there is always going to be a part of you that says, yeah i know it is probably ok, it will give me a little more time. But that is not the answer. Unfortunately alot of classic owners will use it as an excuse and drive it in an un-roadworthy condition.
That will mean the financial institutions like insurance companies will love ramping up premiums to cover this now new high risk!

Bloody stupid idiea. Personally i got nothing against MOTing my cars and would prefer that i have to do this.
Using the excuse that MOT testers are not trained to test these vehicles is just silly and obviously points at flaws in MOT testing qualifications.
If a car doesn't stop, it doesn't effin stop. If there is a giant big rusty hole in it, it probably wasn't there from new. Maybe it should get sorted!
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)