Road Tax Price

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Road Tax Price

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:
Also saw a picture of a copper up north measuring the depth of potholes and accompanying message saying that if they are below a certain depth then they aren't a matter of concern!

Danny
I'm glad the Police have time to measure potholes :sarcasmalert:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:
pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote:still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
You might be able to claim the costs for that back Paul.
Someone in the office tried to claim back for a puncture on the local roads and they demanded a picture of the pothole with a description of the location so they could investigate it... Needless to say this isn't possible on the country road in question which is surrounded by trees with many blind bends and drivers who still insist on doing 50+mph on said road :roll:

Also saw a picture of a copper up north measuring the depth of potholes and accompanying message saying that if they are below a certain depth then they aren't a matter of concern!

Stupid rule really... I like the idea of taxing the petrol as it makes sense, the more you use the more you pay! Seems much more fair than forking out £245 a year for the luxury of not being able to drive anywhere unless I look like a drunk swerving all over the place to avoid the potholes!

Danny

It gets f**king worse! I replaced the broken spring the other day and today when the rain finally stopped for half an hour I thought I would jack the car up just to have all the brake pads out and clean them and give the car a bit of a service. I was really pi$$ed off when I found TWO more broken springs and a rear caliper seized up. The car was on a ramp for a CV boot just before Christmas and everything was fine back then.

It's been a brilliant car for the last 7 years I've owned it but it's the oldest daily I've ever had at nearly 12 years old. Got to raid the piggy bank for a new one now I've decided. Can't be doing with rolling around on a narrow wet driveway grovelling about under cars at my age and size!
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

My vans got a second cracked alloy in 12 months but did you know that only a percentage of your road tax goes on the roads................we have to keep dole scum in fags and trainers :swear:
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:My vans got a second cracked alloy in 12 months but did you know that only a percentage of your road tax goes on the roads................we have to keep dole scum in fags and trainers :swear:
Often the sort of scum that steals the cars we tax......Ironic!

I not surprised only a % of it goes on the roads....Time for a major shakeup imo, as currently it's legalised theft :spank: And the roads are in a :turd: state :doh:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
It's been a brilliant car for the last 7 years I've owned it but it's the oldest daily I've ever had at nearly 12 years old. Got to raid the piggy bank for a new one now I've decided. Can't be doing with rolling around on a narrow wet driveway grovelling about under cars at my age and size!
Our Focus has developed a water leak in the boot :banghead: Sealed where I can get too but still coming in :swear: :swear: :swear:

The spare wheel well was 1/4 full of water 6 weeks ago so had it all out and dried it off, have paper towels jammed in the area where I see it dripping now :doh:
Buying another used car on our budget will possibly end up with other issues :? The Focus has only done 40k on a 07 plate, so may as well keep it.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote:
pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote:still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
You might be able to claim the costs for that back Paul.
Someone in the office tried to claim back for a puncture on the local roads and they demanded a picture of the pothole with a description of the location so they could investigate it.
Yes, they will need to know where it is and to see it, and if a certain size then it is possible to claim back vehicle repair costs.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote:Our Focus has developed a water leak in the boot :banghead: Sealed where I can get too but still coming in :swear: :swear: :swear:

The spare wheel well was 1/4 full of water 6 weeks ago so had it all out and dried it off, have paper towels jammed in the area where I see it dripping now :doh:
I had the same issue in my GL! It's not moved for around a year, came back to the car to do some bits on it and its basically become a swimming pool in the spare wheel well... Siphoning that off was a tasty treat, the orange lumps really did it for me :sarcasmalert:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

With flooded wheel wells I just drill a couple of 6mm holes in the lowest lying of the floor bungs. Any excess water will run out then and it won't get back in in normal driving with two small holes like that.

Obviously finding the source of the leak is best and in my experience it is either the tailgate rubber (pull the tailgate down a bit tighter?) or the rear light seals. Condensation build up in unused vehicles can find it's way down into the wheel well as well.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:With flooded wheel wells I just drill a couple of 6mm holes in the lowest lying of the floor bungs. Any excess water will run out then and it won't get back in in normal driving with two small holes like that.

Obviously finding the source of the leak is best and in my experience it is either the tailgate rubber (pull the tailgate down a bit tighter?) or the rear light seals. Condensation build up in unused vehicles can find it's way down into the wheel well as well.
Thanks for this Paul, I'll have to have a look next time I can get out and it isn't hammering down with rain!

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Just seen this article about a crazy pothole in Stoke-on-Trent!!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge ... -3rbckrnt8