New Car Programme on TV Soon

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: New Car Programme on TV Soon

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I'm quite enjoying this series of Flipping Bangers.
I can't say that I believe all of the guff that Gus and Will have given up their jobs to start this as a business. They can't be making much money between them, not unless they've got the use of the workshop for free. Other than that though, it's a decent enough programme with an interesting choice of cars.

Andrew.
:agree: back to grass roots this show.

But I wonder if all as it seems. The Citroen exhaust was clearly leaking moisture on the MOT test, but apparently it didn't fail :shock:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: But I wonder if all as it seems. The Citroen exhaust was clearly leaking moisture on the MOT test, but apparently it didn't fail :shock:
Looking at the MOT history, there were a few other faults that were advised on the certificate, but not mentioned on the show. I seemed to recall that Gus at one point read out all the advisories to Will. :?
The advisory faults were:
-windscreen washers weak (mentioned on the show)
-battery slightly insecure (also mentioned)
-Power steering ram(s) has slight seepage from a seal (2.3.3b)
-corrosion under vehicle
-Nearside Front Tie bar/rod has slight play in a pin bearing (2.4.G.2)
-Offside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

One other observation is that we are told at the start of each episode that they have to turn each car around in 5 days. They supposedly didn't MOT the car until the last day, and according to the MOT history that was the 20th September 2017. However, the pass certificate wasn't issued until the 25th. That's a further 5 days spent on the car......

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

By the way, I don't like nitpicking like this, after all they are only insignificant details. However, if something is presented as a fact on the show it should be true. Now we can't believe a word of what is said because we know that some of it is an outright lie.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:By the way, I don't like nitpicking like this, after all they are only insignificant details. However, if something is presented as a fact on the show it should be true. Now we can't believe a word of what is said because we know that some of it is an outright lie.

Andrew.
As always the deeper you dig the more worms you find.....If it takes a month just be honest, and driving to France to take pictures :roll: :roll: :roll:
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,

Unfortunately I’ve not seen this program as yet, but I’ll be making the time to catch up on these very soon now, seeing the chats regarding this. Hope to enjoy them too.

But, just to play the Devils Advocate here a second, with the MOT fail being the 20th then the pass on the 25th. Could this be to find out what work they need to get done to get a pass, so 5 days working on it after the original fail??? Just thinking out loud as I say I have not seen it yet, I could have just totally embarrassed myself!!! :shock: :crying: But this is what I used to do, I’d get a Summer MOT, get it retested early, find out the fail points then theoretically I could roll around underneath it in the summer warmth to fix what I now knew needed fixing..... So it was never off the road with a fail...

So the only other thing for this little Devils Advocate is the money they make. I bet they coin it in selling the series to this channel, then onto other channels at later dates then other Countries if it’s successful. If they charged for labour on say Wheeler Deelers, Edd or Ants, they’re well out of pocket at a guess???

So just to wrap this up. I don’t believe the dead lines any of these shows set to be honest, I’m with the rest of you. I just noticed the MOT dates are 5 (ok6..) days apart, but very close to the suggested dead line....

Any how, I’m going to find these now and catch up with them, cheers for the heads up, all the very best to all, cheers,

John.... :beer: :beer: :beer:

P.S. Poss still a little drunk from last night..... All to do again tonight for a Birthday in our group, so please forgive my comments tomorrow??? :xd: :xd: :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

I like Flipping Bangers. Just watched the MR2 show today. Cause they 'seem to be' working on tight budgets they tend to repair/spruce things up rather than complete restoration. A bit more up my street :lol:

Loved their choice to vinyl wrap the MR2 although I would have "stuck" with a darker shade blue more like the original tbh. They both genuinely looked proper nervous though doing it as it was their first attempt at vinyl wrap. Turned out very nice from what I could see.

John I wont ruin it for you as you aint seen it yet but its a good show that could take off like Chop Shop :shock: ermm sorry I meant Wheeler Dealers :lol:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
I would have "stuck" with a darker shade blue more like the original tbh.
:agree: Nick.

I think a few hours with some cutting compound and polish would have been a lot cheaper and easier.....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The latest episode featured an Alfa Romeo 155. To cut a long story short, they didn't sell the car at the end of the programme but scrapped it instead.
I can't believe that two chaps who are trying to earn a living out of car restoration didn't appear to even look underneath the car to check for corrosion before buying it. That proved to be a crucial error as the car was full of holes in the inner wings and all over the underside. I also noticed that they scrapped the car with the wheels on that they had just got powder coated.....didn't they think of selling them to recoup some of their outlay?
More reasons to confirm what we suspect, that this show is all make believe for the TV..... :roll:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:The latest episode featured an Alfa Romeo 155. To cut a long story short, they didn't sell the car at the end of the programme but scrapped it instead.
I can't believe that two chaps who are trying to earn a living out of car restoration didn't appear to even look underneath the car to check for corrosion before buying it. That proved to be a crucial error as the car was full of holes in the inner wings and all over the underside. I also noticed that they scrapped the car with the wheels on that they had just got powder coated.....didn't they think of selling them to recoup some of their outlay?
More reasons to confirm what we suspect, that this show is all make believe for the TV..... :roll:

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
Ridiculous episode :banghead:
Why refurb wheels, fit a new cambelt and brake bias valve before sorting ALL the welding :? :? :? Over £400 wasted :doh:

As you say they don't check the cars thoroughly enough, and got caught out big time after narrowly escaping before.......

Should have sold it for £300 to the person on the phone and he could have fixed or broken it for spares which they should have done. Could have broken it as parts were required. Lots of useable parts on it...... What a waste. CRAP!!!

They need to watch the programme that follows, Strippers cars for cash, they might learn something :)
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Just indulged myself with a brew and a comfy chair to watch my new favourite car show....... :doh: WTF was that all about?...........as said already, I cannot believe they didn't look underneath a car and car make that rot faster than a thing that rots in a rotting race...
They then crush it with its refurbed Speedlines on, not to mention the other new parts fitted.
I suspect this episode was a set up.
They then down 300 sheets for what? Hundred quid scrap? All those becoming rare usable parts that could have kept another Alfa on the road.
I'm not an Alfa fan but if I was I'd have been screaming at the telly............a dangerously rotten car taken off the road, yes.......but a cachè of rare spares wasted :banghead:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Apparently, Will Trickett is a boat builder by trade and Gus Gregory is a professional automotive photographer. I can't remember if that is mentioned in the show at any point. I must admit that I didn't realise that they weren't in the motor trade, but it explains the schoolboy errors they made with the Alfa.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Apparently, Will Trickett is a boat builder by trade and Gus Gregory is a professional automotive photographer. I can't remember if that is mentioned in the show at any point. I must admit that I didn't realise that they weren't in the motor trade, but it explains the schoolboy errors they made with the Alfa.

Andrew.
They have never mentioned what they did just that they have given up a monthly salary and put £10k into this.

Schoolboy errors are right! The Alfa should never have been scrapped :shock:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

I like this show but that Alfa had some salvageable parts on it so I cannot understand the scrapping of it as a whole. I never get the Alfa thing in the motoring press as in your not a car guy unless you've owned an Alfa. I have never owned one but driven a lot. Years ago they were over priced rust buckets, then they moved on to expensive poor handling cars that have annoying bits that break down. Nowadays they are over priced and poor dealer network and astronomical servicing costs. The motoring press just bang on about them because they get all olympian trying to give themselves prentecious knowledge that we don't have. All subjective I know but those are my thoughts.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've been keeping an eye on this as well... It does strike me as ridiculous that they wouldn't look underneath the car at all but when the car lift went through the floor plan I did laugh at how ludicrous it was that they actually paid money for it...

Have to agree though; you buy a brand new brake bias valve for £100, refurb the wheels for £150 and just scrap both without using them. A quick ebay search shows a set that need refurbing for £120 and a refurbished set for £180, and I'm sure they could get some money back for the bias valve??

I also have to agree that they should have sold it to the other guy for £300 and still have made some money back; true it was a death trap and didn't deserve to be put back on the road but the guy might have wanted to race the car or strip it for parts and made some money off it and kept some other cars going!

Glad it wasn't a capri I would have thrown something through the TV!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The latest episode sees the chaps buying a 924 and they are back to making a modest profit.
Why do they insist on making work for themselves though? In my opinion, the car's new DIY paint job wouldn't have added much value to the car over what the car was worth before painting. In the close-ups it looked shockingly bad!

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Why do they insist on making work for themselves though? In my opinion, the car's new DIY paint job wouldn't have added much value to the car over what the car was worth before painting. In the close-ups it looked shockingly bad!
:agree: Watched this with my youngest & really enjoyed it. Not for their restoration skills ( as they haven't got any ) but for the comedy value. We haven't laughed so much watching a car program as we have watching this pair. They seem such a hapless couple, pouring a bucket of 'similar' coloured dye over the carpet, rubbing down paint & taking the satin black off the window surrounds while doing it, then 'that' paint job :lol: .
Now we see them as the automotive chuckle brothers we're really enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I really like them, I'd have a pint & a laugh with them any day of the week, just wouldn't buy a car off them. Keep it up guys, you've made our week. :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Why do they insist on making work for themselves though? In my opinion, the car's new DIY paint job wouldn't have added much value to the car over what the car was worth before painting. In the close-ups it looked shockingly bad!
:agree: Watched this with my youngest & really enjoyed it. Not for their restoration skills ( as they haven't got any ) but for the comedy value. We haven't laughed so much watching a car program as we have watching this pair. They seem such a hapless couple, pouring a bucket of 'similar' coloured dye over the carpet, rubbing down paint & taking the satin black off the window surrounds while doing it, then 'that' paint job :lol: .
Now we see them as the automotive chuckle brothers we're really enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I really like them, I'd have a pint & a laugh with them any day of the week, just wouldn't buy a car off them. Keep it up guys, you've made our week. :D
That just about says it all :D
As the episodes go on the worse they get :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Watched this with my youngest & really enjoyed it.
It's worth watching for the entertainment value.
I wonder if the end of the series they'll admit that car restoration isn't really for them, and that they are going back to their day jobs?
There are only 4 episodes left to run in this first series, so we'll find out soon enough!

Andrew.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Jeez......that paint job :doh:
Plus a pet hate of mine, masking stuff that comes off easily........... :banghead:
On the Strippers front, I sincerely hope that 'Buster Blood Vessel' is parodying a Cockney wanker stereotype car salesman...........i wouldn't buy anything off him even if my life depended on it. I'm guessing it's for the cameras but I have to watch him through my fingers whilst cringing..... he's such a bell end :wank:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Caprifan Rob wrote:We haven't laughed so much watching a car program as we have watching this pair
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Was a gem just looking at their faces when first 'admiring' their paintjob :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...