Winter tyres

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Winter tyres

Post by Paul G »

On the continent it is a legal requirement that people fit winter tyres over the winter period. Does anyone else on here think that it would be a good idea to do the same here after seeing the people slip sliding around on a dusting of snow?

I know they can't make up for a lack of driving skill or common sense but they would perhaps stop some of the people crashing and getting stuck and generally causing extra unwelcome work for the emergency services.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Winter tyres

Post by D366Y »

I think it would be a good idea to do it, avoid as lot of problems that way I think, but I never understood how anyone would tell if you do or don't have winter tyres on?

Unless they pull over every single car to check is there any other way of knowing?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I think it would be a great idea. Tyres with a chunkier tread would be beneficial in wet weather too, they don't have to be just for the snow.
However....as most people these days don't even open their bonnets to bother checking their fluids, I can't see them going to the trouble of changing a full set of wheels twice a year.

Andrew.
Nigel 1953
Car(s): 1987 Capri Laser 2.0

Post by Nigel 1953 »

I used to know a lady at work many years ago who had a MK2 1.6 GT in metallic purple (Think the colour was purple velvet). She told me that her car had winter tyres on when she got it and she never had any problems in winter. I'm sure we used to have worse winters on average in the 70s & 80s.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Sounds OK in theory but by and large most winters aren't really too bad here. And on a practical basis you've either got to have storage for extra wheels or shell out a few hundred on new rubber twice a year so .....
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It's a good option and should be 'pushed'. But I believe it should remain an option and not compulsory as it will just turn into yet another motoring money maker for the powers that be. Imagine what they would make in fines from that.