A new classic

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: A new classic

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The Mustang looks good......but not as good as your beautiful Capri! 8-)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm The Mustang looks good......but not as good as your beautiful Capri! 8-)

Andrew.
Thank you kind sir .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It has to be said I do adore the look of the current Mustang. With the styling and finish Ford have managed to make it downright prestigious as well as somehow every inch a Mustang, even though like Dr Who the car changes with every incarnation.

Hang on, paint it green and give it a different name, hasnt that been done before :ford:

The Bullitt does look the dogs though thats quite a price uplift over the standard V8. But if the performance uplift is comparable say to the difference between a quick BMW and an M4, an A5 to a S5, a fast E class coupe to an AMG63, then it probably makes sense.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Not_Anumber wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 pm It has to be said I do adore the look of the current Mustang. With the styling and finish Ford have managed to make it downright prestigious as well as somehow every inch a Mustang, even though like Dr Who the car changes with every incarnation.

Hang on, paint it green and give it a different name, hasnt that been done before :ford:

The Bullitt does look the dogs though thats quite a price uplift over the standard V8. But if the performance uplift is comparable say to the difference between a quick BMW and an M4, an A5 to a S5, a fast E class coupe to an AMG63, then it probably makes sense.
The performance uplift isn’t that significant, you’re paying for the exclusivity more than anything. It’s worth pointing out though that the standard V8 already offers M4/RS5 levels of performance and the 2.3 is also fast; there are no quickish Mustangs.

Talking of investments check this MK3 RS out:

https://www.rsdirectbristol.co.uk/vehic ... cus-U1429/

That was £40k new!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I've always said if I had over £30k to spend on a car I would have the V8 Mustang over the Focus RS.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes totally agree I would have a mustang over a RS Focus but now looking I would go Auto with a electric handbrake and a convertible.

Here’s a shot inside with my little boy at the wheel . That handbrake has got to go .
Attachments
BC830CA0-E79C-4BB3-BFB7-90B8FDBEB3EA.jpeg
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:33 pm Yes totally agree I would have a mustang over a RS Focus but now looking I would go Auto with a electric handbrake and a convertible.

Here’s a shot inside with my little boy at the wheel . That handbrake has got to go .
That means there's another manual 'tin'top' with conventional handbrake left for me :D :cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

A cheaper alternative to the Mustang https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1122461

Before I got the Capri one of these was on my list, but it's too long for the garage :doh: :lol:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I seriously considered getting a Mustang GT but the length is an issue as like Andy my garage isn't that deep. It's also a very different car to the Focus RS. I think with the Mustang you get a sense of occasion even on mundane journeys, and having driven one on track they are actually very capable, but the RS is on a different level when it comes to all out performance. It does insane things, it still suprises me after over two years of ownership. Having both is probably the solution, along with a green MK2 RS. Fortunately the missus doesn't read this forum!
andyd

Post by andyd »

mjcapri wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm I seriously considered getting a Mustang GT but the length is an issue as like Andy my garage isn't that deep. It's also a very different car to the Focus RS. I think with the Mustang you get a sense of occasion even on mundane journeys, and having driven one on track they are actually very capable, but the RS is on a different level when it comes to all out performance. It does insane things, it still suprises me after over two years of ownership. Having both is probably the solution, along with a green MK2 RS. Fortunately the missus doesn't read this forum!
Not driven an RS, but I've owned two Mk2 Focus ST's both mapped to 265bhp and they really move :drive: But if you stick to our speed limits you may as well have a Focus Zetec imo. I enjoy driving the Capri at 40mph more than an ST at 70mph.

Not driven a Mustang either, but as you say I think the Mustang even at lower speeds would give nicer driving experience.

:agree: In an ideal world a Mk2 RS and Mustang 5.0 would be nice, and cared for examples are probably money in the bank :cool:
And the Capri of course :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I could never get on with the ST seats or the RS ones don’t know why so would go with a mustang . Also Andy a Rover MG ? Not something I have ever fancied .
Must agree with you MJcapri as the RS would out do the Mustang also the RS would let you make big mistakes why that Mustang would bite you hard .
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

mjcapri wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm I seriously considered getting a Mustang GT but the length is an issue as like Andy my garage isn't that deep. It's also a very different car to the Focus RS. I think with the Mustang you get a sense of occasion even on mundane journeys, and having driven one on track they are actually very capable, but the RS is on a different level when it comes to all out performance. It does insane things, it still suprises me after over two years of ownership. Having both is probably the solution, along with a green MK2 RS. Fortunately the missus doesn't read this forum!
Last track day we took my sons Subaru on, there was a focus RS there like yours which was, quite frankly, in a different league to anything else there on the day. It’s easy to dismiss the RS as just a fast Focus but seeing it on track shows just how accomplished a performance car it is.

Jason, big fan of the Mustang. A guy on nights at work has a red V8 which sounds amazing. The 5.0 is obviously the one to own & if it was a toy I’d like nothing less. With my commute though I’d be quite happy with the almost as quick RS engined version as a daily & wouldn’t have to sell the house to run it :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:08 pm
Last track day we took my sons Subaru on, there was a focus RS there like yours which was, quite frankly, in a different league to anything else there on the day. It’s easy to dismiss the RS as just a fast Focus but seeing it on track shows just how accomplished a performance car it is.

Jason, big fan of the Mustang. A guy on nights at work has a red V8 which sounds amazing. The 5.0 is obviously the one to own & if it was a toy I’d like nothing less. With my commute though I’d be quite happy with the almost as quick RS engined version as a daily & wouldn’t have to sell the house to run it :)
Yes totally agree or to be really greedy have both of them . Always good to dream and try and get six numbers up on that lotto mate .
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

An often very overlooked car with big bang for bucks is the Vauxhall VXR8. 6.0 or 6.2 Corvette V8 with standard 425 BHP and easily tuned to 600+ or more if supercharged. Expensive to run like all the big V8's talked about previously but a good example can be bought for less than an average 2.8i Capri at the minute. Will surely be a classic in the future.

GM have closed the Aussie Holden production sites and the current Commodore out there is an Australianised version of the Insignia (poor sods) which is European built. Just like PSA are wanting to do to all Vauxhall facilities in this country.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Paul G wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:01 am An often very overlooked car with big bang for bucks is the Vauxhall VXR8. 6.0 or 6.2 Corvette V8 with standard 425 BHP and easily tuned to 600+ or more if supercharged. Expensive to run like all the big V8's talked about previously but a good example can be bought for less than an average 2.8i Capri at the minute. Will surely be a classic in the future.

GM have closed the Aussie Holden production sites and the current Commodore out there is an Australianised version of the Insignia (poor sods) which is European built. Just like PSA are wanting to do to all Vauxhall facilities in this country.
My mate has a black one, it’s a nice looking car and has great performance in a straight line at least. I actually like them but can’t get past it being a V***hall, or Holden for that matter!

It’s a shame GM and Ford have pulled Australian production, they made some unique and interesting cars over there. I’d love a Falcon, it would be rude to not go for a V8 but the F6 is a serious weapon!
andyd

Post by andyd »