Jobs in this cold weather

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Jobs in this cold weather

Post by Not_Anumber »

What with snow, rain, low temperatures and the absence of a nice warm and dry garage Ive only lifted the cover off the car twice this year so far to do a couple of tiny bits of work:

Replacing the clock in the console - the old one was noisy and lost hours rather than minutes each day.

Cleaning and refitting the drivers door courtesy light switch.

Putting the battery on charge to make sure it will start when the weather improves enough.

Other than that I got round to renewing the road tax and insurance but frankly thats it probably now for Capri activities for a while until the temperature starts looking up a bit.

Has anyone been really busy on theirs & braving the elements so far this year ?
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Re: Jobs in this cold weather

Post by fordperv »

Not touched my capri as its at my mums but I've been working out on the drive on other stuff, fitting hydraulic handbrake, fitting exhausts and changing brake calipers etc im not lucky enough to have a garage either
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I started mine in December and run her for 20 mins and drove out the garage and then back in again , also changed the damp things I have as they were all dry what I could not work out . And I bought a temperature gauge at the garden center and used the big sticky pad to put up on the wall .
I did put the trickle charge on but noticed last week I had not plug it in and remember it would not reach the plug . :banghead:

So I have been very lazy over Winter but I can not wait till 1st March to tax her and if it’s dry I will take her out for a nice long drive down to whistable have breakfast in the cafe with my Dad and then let my Dad drive her Home . If we are to late we will have a stop over for lunch in the pub and I will drive home because he likes a G & T .

Think we need a ground-hog day on here to say it’s going to be a long winter lads so keep them capris in the dry or we are having a short winter get them cars out now .

Just one last thing I take my hats off to you all who drive them all year in rain and snow . And peter who has two for the winter and summer . :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I drive mine every couple of weeks still, all year round, though I keep out of the worst of the weather. There are always a couple of days/nights per month which are easily good enough to get out for an hour or so. Went for a drive just the other day. I do believe that a frequently driven car is easier to maintain.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I've run mine for half an hour every month or so.
Last week reversed it half way out garage, left it running - which warms garage up a bit, then I fitted up the powder coated front bumper and the end-caps that I sprayed with HFVP in the Autumn.
Just little things really.
Would have took it out but the amount of salt that has been put on the roads round here is crazy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote:Has anyone been really busy on theirs & braving the elements so far this year ?
So far during the winter I've only managed to replace the regular service items. A few hours of actual work performed over a period of a few weeks! It's too cold to spend any great length of time in the garage.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: It's too cold to spend any great length of time in the garage.

Andrew.
:agree: :(
Some say starting a car during storage is not recommended, and best left alone until you are ready to use it.....I have done so in the past but just leave it now with the battery disconnected, but I depress the clutch 5 or 6 times once a month, as I know people have had issues with the clutch sticking.
Apart from that and putting the spare wheel with a new tyre back in the boot last month, I haven't touched it since end of August.

Will be putting the wheels back on it late March, then MOT with oil and coolant change early April :drive:
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

I personally haven’t had time to even look at my car! Tucked away in the garage with a trickle charge going. I have actually started it up a couple of times but that’s it. Too busy work wise. Be glad when it does warm up though as I want to change the oil and fan belts. Already got them sitting patiently waiting.
Wintersock
Car(s): Ford Capri laser 2.0

Post by Wintersock »

I drive mine daily, not a single issue. I've just installed some actuators to the doors so I can actually get in when it's frozen over :D
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Well I have had the joy of changing 2 core plugs in the last week on my everyday driver - delightful job, ever noticed how when tools get dropped on the floor in this weather they always seem to end up in the middle of the car just out of arm's, then of course there is the typical spanner slipping off the nut/bolt and your hand hurtles into something quite sharp and the pain is magnified 10 fold by the freezing temperatures and that's not including all the blood dripping over everything, so after all this I ask myself was it all worth it?

Answer: Of course it was, it's a Capri :D
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Oh definitely, can relate to all the above. Same at work as well! I’ve been digging out footings for an extension and you just know that I’ll drop something down and have to trudge through mud and sludge to find it! Yep, it happened!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Some say starting a car during storage is not recommended, and best left alone until you are ready to use it
Yes, two very different schools of thought on that subject. I never start or run the Capri up to temperature during the winter, and to date, I haven't had any issues at the start-up after the lay up. That works for me, but does anybody have a definitive answer about what is best for the car?
andyd wrote:I depress the clutch
And me.......by talking to it! :D

Andrew.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

I've just spent time buying some more parts. Just bought a new alternator and Starter motor, ignition coil from H&H and some other bits and bobs
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Some say starting a car during storage is not recommended, and best left alone until you are ready to use it
two very different schools of thought on that subject
Starting but not running up to full temp means the exhaust won't get hot and evaporate any condensed water vapour sitting at the bottom of the boxes so they will rust through sooner unless it's stainless. I've never know problems of condensation occurring inside the crankcase because of this, spinning over occasionally will coat everything with a new film of oil. It does need to run long enough to replenish the drain on the battery cause by cranking.
andyd

Post by andyd »

nigecapri wrote:
Some say starting a car during storage is not recommended, and best left alone until you are ready to use it
two very different schools of thought on that subject
Starting but not running up to full temp means the exhaust won't get hot and evaporate any condensed water vapour sitting at the bottom of the boxes so they will rust through sooner unless it's stainless. I've never know problems of condensation occurring inside the crankcase because of this, spinning over occasionally will coat everything with a new film of oil. It does need to run long enough to replenish the drain on the battery cause by cranking.
All sounds reasonable.
Which confirms my thoughts, there is no good reason to start it at all.....
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Presumably starting up and going for a half hour drive is fine then as you get up to temperature and re charge the battery?

I've tried to look at the handbrake light (and failed!), think I will get my decent multimeter from work and borrow a gas soldering iron if necessary. Even jobs like that aren't the most pleasant in the cold!

I also intend on sorting out the rear washer jet, which doesn't work. Pump is fine but the tube is blocked I reckon, so nozzle out and see if there's an obvious blockage, or replace the whole tube but I've heard that's a bugger of a job with the headlining etc... tried blasting compressed air down it to no avail.

Also had a nosey at some rust on the valance and arches but no point doing anything until mid March when the weather gets better!
andyd

Post by andyd »

tejb1 wrote:Presumably starting up and going for a half hour drive is fine then as you get up to temperature and re charge the battery?
Yes that would be ok, but for those of us that SORN over winter it's not an option.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

andyd wrote:
tejb1 wrote:Presumably starting up and going for a half hour drive is fine then as you get up to temperature and re charge the battery?
Yes that would be ok, but for those of us that SORN over winter it's not an option.
Ah yes, good point!
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

I've got the petrol tank in the kitchen where it's warm, with a tin of Hammerite.........the house stinks and I'm not very popular :twak:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

But being in the dog house with the wife on the phone telling the world what you have done also the whine of the kids shouting “Dad it’s smells and stinks “.

You feel really good :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: